Trio of Doom

Aggie87

Sony Legacy will finally be issuing "Trio of Doom - Live" on June 26th! Should be interesting, to say the least.

A little discussion of the material is in this McLaughlin thread.

Legacy will also be putting out an Essential McLaughlin and an Essential Pastorius on the same date.

edit - the Trio release appears to include both the live recordings from Havana, as well as the follow on studio efforts in NYC.

Edited by Aggie87

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sony Legacy will finally be issuing "Trio of Doom - Live" on June 26th! Should be interesting, to say the least.

A little discussion of the material is in this McLaughlin thread.

Legacy will also be putting out an Essential McLaughlin and an Essential Pastorius on the same date.

edit - the Trio release appears to include both the live recordings from Havana, as well as the follow on studio efforts in NYC.

What are the odds that this is a major disappointment? I heard the studio sessions were a disaster.

Guy

Guest donald petersen

i have a recording of the havana stuff. it didn't turn me on.

have you heard the pastorius/rashied ali duo stuff from martinique or wherever? i thought that was more interesting but still sort of lame. i don't like ali's approach. a little stiff...perhaps this wasn't his cup of tea.

Guest donald petersen

yeah...i wonder why mclaughlin (and santana?) thought for a while that transcendence came from playing really really fast. i guess because it was close to what they heard from spiritual indian music?

but then again, alice coltrane didn't seem to feel like she needed to play really really fast to capture a similar spiritual element.

She plays really fast on the live disc I just got.

Transfiguration

4/16/1978

Alice Coltrane, Reggie Workman, Roy Haynes

Actually, this might be something you'd be interested in. She play organ for the majority of the performance and uses a pitch-bender. I know you are into electric keys and synths...

Guest donald petersen

yeah i used to have that one but i sold it because it bothered me that there was some overdubbing-it seemed so weird it was live but had the overdubbed strings...even though it sounds nice. it sketched me out.

but even that one has some contemplative peaceful stuff.

but in general, coltrane was not shredding through the seventies like her swamichindinachtian cohorts..IMO.

Aside from Extrapolation, the stuff with Miles and very small doses of Mahavishnu, I've nerver been able to get that into McLaughlin. I can appreciate the technical command of the instrument, but I just don't feel him.

J Larsen, have you heard Shakti?

Guest donald petersen

jarsen, i am going to mention something i don't particularly care for, but mclaughlin's early 80s group was interesting and worth at least maybe hearing...it featured his woman, some french chick, on synths and this other french guy on synth and an american drummer who i think is the same guy that was on one or two david murray albums and is sort of an overplaying loud drummer and a french or spanish guy on acoustic bass and there might even have been another french woman involved.

mclaughlin mostly plays acoustic guitar (one of my least favorite instruments) and the bass is acoustic but the synth sounds are pretty 80s and the drummer is loud and unsubtle....it's interesting stuff sort of. there are two albums at least-um..belo horizonte and music spoken here...i think.

jarsen, i am going to mention something i don't particularly care for, but mclaughlin's early 80s group was interesting and worth at least maybe hearing...it featured his woman, some french chick, on synths and this other french guy on synth and an american drummer who i think is the same guy that was on one or two david murray albums and is sort of an overplaying loud drummer and a french or spanish guy on acoustic bass and there might even have been another french woman involved.

mclaughlin mostly plays acoustic guitar (one of my least favorite instruments) and the bass is acoustic but the synth sounds are pretty 80s and the drummer is loud and unsubtle....it's interesting stuff sort of. there are two albums at least-um..belo horizonte and music spoken here...i think.

Hmmmm.... this sounds like it is "interesting" in the same way as a bad internet date. I'll see if I can find some samples online. Thanks!

Guest donald petersen

you know how it is when superstars got together in this era...it's fine. it's good. it's not groundbreaking or mindblowing. if you like the musicians involved then you will like it.

I am interested in this Trio of Doom stuff, to hear if its as bad as all of you are saying!

I heard some of the Havana Jam stuff, and it's not very exciting at all. I had hoped, but upon listening my hopes were dashed. I seem to recall an interview where McLaughlin said something to the effect that Jaco screwed the concert up big time & Tony Williams was massively pissed at Jaco over that.

The interview Phil is talking about:

JM: (laughs) Yes indeed, the Trio of Doom. That trio was unbelievable. It was amazing. When they were on it was unbelievable to play with those guys. Anyway, rehearsals were phenomenal. We had only three tunes that we were going to play (at the historic Havana Jam in Cuba). So we went down to Havana and we had a tune each. We started off with my tune, "The Dark Prince," which was a kind of blues in Cminor with some altered changes. But the thing is, Jaco altered everything. He turned his amp up to 11 and started to play A major, which is like a little far away from C minor...and unbelievably loud! So we start to play the tune, Tony's looking at me, I'm looking at Tony and it's like, "What the fuck'" And in the meantime Jaco's upfront with the bass between his legs, doing his thing...it was almost like Jimi Hendrix. And the whole set went like that. When we finished the set, I was so angry at Jaco. Tony too. And we walked off stage and Tony was already up and running to the bathroom...he was about to throw up. Anyway, Jaco came down and said, "Oh, man, you bad mother!" And I said, "What' You have the nerve to speak to me after this travesty on stage. I don't even want to see your face, I don't want to hear you, I don't want to see you." And it all came out, and in about 15 minutes later it was fine. But Tony couldn't get it out, right' And it was such a farce. Anyway, CBS called me about two weeks later and said, "So, we're going to put it out." And I said, "You're going to put what out' You're not going to put that out. You put it out over my dead body. That's terrible." So they asked if we wanted to re-record it over at Columbia Studios on 52nd Street. So we all went into the great CBS Studio on 52nd Street where we did all those great things with Miles -- In A Silent Way, Bitches Brew and all of that. So we start re-recording the tunes and in the meantime, Tony's not looking at Jaco. I mean, forget about speaking, he's not even looking at him. And Jaco's already very nervous. So we start playing and we did my tune again. So we do one take and we go in the control room to listen back and Jaco says, "Well, I think we can do it better." And all of a sudden Tony jumps in front of Jaco and says, "Better' Better, motherfucker'!!" He pushed Jaco up against the wall. I had never seen Tony angry but that was like a little volcano action, man, I tell you. And Jaco's like..."Hey man, I'm sorry, man, I'm sorry." Tony didn't hit 'em or anything, but when Tony got mad you just get out of the way. He had Jaco up against the wall and Jaco was like apologizing profusely. He knew he fucked up bigtime. So after 10 minutes of Tony blasting him with both barrels, Tony went into the studio and destroyed his drumkit. (laughter). And I said, "You gotta record with this!" He destroyed his kit and walked out of the studio and that was it. What a shame. But hey, who's perfect in this world' But I told Jaco off right away back in Havana. I got rid of all the rats and snakes right off the stage, but Tony had it balling up, stewing around there for a while for he finally exploded. He always had difficulty with getting it right out. So yeah...Jaco was crazy, but what a player! He was too much. Boy I miss him. I miss Tony too. What a tragedy.

Mr. Bassman recently gave me a summary of how Jaco messed up that gig - nice to read it in JM's words.

I wonder if he approved of the release .....

It appears he's been involved in the preparation of the material. In the review of "Industrial Zen" on AAJ, it's mentioned that he had completed the mix for the Trio of Doom material. Abstractlogix.com also stated last year that McLaughlin was mixing the Trio of Doom record.

I find the idolization of Jaco to be just too much, and the interest in what is by all accounts a lousy musical experience tops it all.

Whenever I saw him live from 1977-80 with Weather Report, there was very little musical content in what he was doing. His solos consisted of disjointed flashy bits designed to make the rock and roll fans in the crowd start screaming. As he played these bits of rock cliche, he hopped or slid around the stage in a calculatedly wild and weird way--again, to make the intoxicated rock and roll fans, who were checking out the weird jazz band with the hot electric bass player, go wild.

I thought at the time that he was wasting the talent he had shown on the 1976 Weather Report tour and on certain recordings. Why does anyone want to hear his worst moments?

Guest donald petersen

i was reading an interview with weather report where the interviewer mentions the "rock" element he heard in weather reports sound (this was an interview from around the time of mr. gone, i think) and jaco gets all mad and says he comes from R&B and that he's an R&B bassist. i think actually i mentioned this in another thread...but anyway, i found it ridiculous. if it was true, jaco totally missed the point about what an R&B bassist's job was.

jlarsen-if you look around i know the two 80s mclaughlin albums i mentioned were reviews at AAJ and neither unfavorably.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E_rdckp5wQ

and there is a youtube clip. you tell me. does this suck or is it good? i can't tell.

i was reading an interview with weather report where the interviewer mentions the "rock" element he heard in weather reports sound (this was an interview from around the time of mr. gone, i think) and jaco gets all mad and says he comes from R&B and that he's an R&B bassist. i think actually i mentioned this in another thread...but anyway, i found it ridiculous. if it was true, jaco totally missed the point about what an R&B bassist's job was.

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php...mp;#entry612734

Early (pre WR) JP samples:

http://cdbaby.com/mp3lofi/jacopastorius3-02.m3u

http://cdbaby.com/mp3lofi/jacopastorius-19.m3u

http://cdbaby.com/cd/jacopastorius3

http://cdbaby.com/cd/jacopastorius