"Jazz Americana"

found it in the .99 cent bin today: this is a pretty rare w.c.j. record: ill list the tracklist if you guys aren't already familar- all the songs have techinical paragraphs as well explaining how the songs were recorded

It`s a TAMPA HiFi [ 15Hz-20KHz] Jazz Sampler. Great music. And they are very proud on Art Pepper because he is mentioned twice on the artists list. :)

Great record in mono!!! Full Range High Fidelity. A real wanna have for audiolunatics.

Chewy this record and a true monocart. ;)

Now THAT would have been some fine cover for such innocent Westcoast music ... :D :D :D

I d`nt think this is Chewy`s cover and for sure it`s not mine. Can`t find a picture of it, mine shows a river with a big bridge and a big city view on the behind. This in a nice blue colour. ;)

I don't have the full story on hand but some of the tracks on "Jazz Americana" had originally been released on the Skylark label which was a slightly earlier Hollywood-based label that was in operation around 1954 but went bust pretty soon. Tampa took over the masters and issued them on its own label, sometimes even reissuing the original Skylark 10" LP's with the same contents but with new covers on its own label.

The tracks by Oscar Moore, the Lighthouse All Stars, and "Babette" which was originally released under drummer George Redman's name on Skylark but later reappeared on Tampa under Bob Gordon's name (reissued on VSOP, BTW!) are some of those that had first been released by Skylark.