A big Yes to--- Either/Orchestra - Neo-Modernism,

Dmitry

Guys, this is a modern classic. I got a promo copy the other day and have been spinning it since. It's due Tuesday. Do yourselves a favor - obtain!

Those who dig the styles of Brookmeyer, Maria Schneider [and have one Vienna Art Orchestra lp ;)], Chris McGregor's Brotherhood of Breath, you'll love it.

What's killin' is the soloing on this cd, the solos are so good, by all the guys.

I feel guilty for buying a promo 2 days before the street date, but I just couldn't pass it by. Hopefully you'll like it when you buy it today!;)

What a great cd! :tup:tup:tup

This band continues to release wonderful progressive big band music. Catch them live, if you have a chance!

Neo-Modernism

I have nearly the complete E/O catalog on CD, and they are all really outstanding. They're kinda near and dear to my heart, cuz one of my first few "real" jazz experiences was hearing the E/O live while I was in college, back around 1991 or '92. The version of the band I heard probably had both Medeski and Matt Wilson in it, back then -- before either of them were any kind of names in their own right.

Hell, back then I didn't know Monk from Ornette from Dolphy.... But I did know enough to know that the E/O was really something that kinda blew my mind at the time. I've heard them live a couple times since, and have always been impressed.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Yes Yes Yes - love the E/O. I think my favorite period is the Half-Life of Desire era, when they were a bit more eclectic. A friend saw them recently in NJ and was disappointed that there wasn't more variety. Used to be that band was The Variety Show! - as evidenced by the 2-CD live collection. Since Gershon restructured the band it's been maybe a little too focused. Still wonderful, though.

Mike