• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks.

I hope there are enough covers in the book that are not already in the two Blue Note and the "California Cool" and "New York hot" books.

... and "Jazzical Moods", and "Jazz West Coast" and the Daver books.

I like Taschen, though. I've enjoyed their "Design of the 20th Century" and "1000 Chairs".

Thanks.

I hope there are enough covers in the book that are not already in the two Blue Note and the "California Cool" and "New York hot" books.

... and "Jazzical Moods", and "Jazz West Coast" and the Daver books.

I like Taschen, though. I've enjoyed their "Design of the 20th Century" and "1000 Chairs".

...And "1000 Clowns."

This is a topic that has been visited before by other publishers and authors, but as with Taschen's "Jazz Seen," it is nice to see a relatively inexpensive nicely done book so that more people can enjoy the material. As a hard-core collector, I prefer the first editions of Claxton's books, but it is also good to have the aforementioned. Likewise, the two Daver books are both well put together and collectible, so it would be nice to see something that makes those covers available to more fans, particularly the non book collectors.

There have been other threads on the album cover books, but when one considers "Jazz Grafico" (Spanish exhibition catalog); "Jazzin the Black Forest" (complete SABA/MPS covers w/detailed discography); "Jazz West Coast" (the Japanese book on Pacific Jazz covers--as opposed to the 1955 original); the Stirnweiss and Flora books, the field has been covered as far as the most well known designers and recognized covers.

Still, there is more to do; I obtained some interesting books of album slicks (in comb binders for salespeople to use as samples) of jazz material a few years ago; Coral and Brunswick label. Probably the most well-known cover depicted was the Al Cohn/Bob Brookmeyer designed and photographed by Burt Goldblatt or "Jazz at the Academy" by Hal McCusick. When I got these, I thought, I would really like to see one of these books for Blue Note, Bethlehem, Verve or Prestige. But those spiral bound sets of slicks have to be the first "album cover" books.

By the way, if any forum members can direct me to the site someone posted of Swedish record covers, I would appreciate it, as I had difficulty finding it via the search engine and those were some interesting covers!

Keep on enjoying jazz and jazz books.

Regards,

Baker

• 3 months later...

The Amazon.com link shows the price as USD$16.49 (list price 24.99). Going to Amazon.ca it is CDN$43.02 (list price 49.71).

According to xe.com the exchange rate today is 1.00 USD = 1.05355 CAD, so, the book should be CDN$17.37. But it's $25.65 more! A bit of an exchange ripoff, isn't it?

There's no indication of the size or format (square, rectangular) of the book anywhere. Does anyone know?

The Amazon.com link shows the price as USD$16.49 (list price 24.99). Going to Amazon.ca it is CDN$43.02 (list price 49.71).

According to xe.com the exchange rate today is 1.00 USD = 1.05355 CAD, so, the book should be CDN$17.37. But it's $25.65 more! A bit of an exchange ripoff, isn't it?

There's no indication of the size or format (square, rectangular) of the book anywhere. Does anyone know?

Canadian penalty seem ok to me. :rolleyes:

It's going to be a flexicover book. Size: 16.8x22.6 cm, 6.6x8.9inch. 400 pages.

The book will include interviews with Rudy VanGelder, Creed Taylor, Michael Cuscuna, Bob Ciano (the CTI label designer), and Ashley Kahn.

Amazon.ca has become useless. Hardly anything is in stock and prices are a ripoff.

The book will include interviews with Rudy VanGelder, Creed Taylor, Michael Cuscuna, Bob Ciano (the CTI label designer), and Ashley Kahn.

WTF worth reading will Ashley Kahn have to say about album covers?

• 4 months later...

WTF worth reading will Ashley Kahn have to say about album covers?

My thought as well...

I'd like to see a chapter devoted to some of those beautiful private-press and independent label jackets myself.