I discovered this in a bookshop yesterday and was quite impressed. There really wouldn't be a satisfactory 'jazz covers' book unless it featured say, 10,000 cover images (or more?). But this one certainly included some covers that are not often seen as well some of the usual suspects. Certainly makes a change from the usual Blue Note covers book(s). What actually caught my eye was a whole page devoted to the Ian Carr's Nucleus album 'Solar Plexus' but there are also covers of the RCQ's 'Dusk Fire' and 'Phase III' along with a Don Rendell album I have never even heard of let alone seen. I shall buy this one.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bringing back an old topic, but I just got my copy of this, and I'm not really sure do I like or not. It seems to have (at a quick glance) quite a few errors (Ian Carr the guitarist, confusing Jimmy Garrison and Rashied Ali, having many release dates totally incorrect, claiming Like Someone in Love by Blakey (released over five years after recording) to be one of his most admired and a record that showed the way for future (obviously really talking about A Night in Tunisia, recorded in the same sessions) etc.

These errors, even if small, make me doubt every detail in the book, and that's not a good starting point.

Also, a jazz cover book without ONE Peter Brötzmann cover is a bad joke. This is weird considering it does have some obscure Romanian covers, a lot of MPS covers etc. Might be copyright issue, I don't know.

So, disappointment it is, but how big, I have to figure out with further readings.

The released book was not what was initially announced. Turns out that 'Jazz Covers' is a very disappointing enterprise.

We could have expected better from Taschen, its publisher. Too many albums show up that should have been ignored (Louis Armstrong is represented by only one British Ace of Hearts cover, same for Bill Evans only one LP the far from representative 'From Left to Right' !?!).

One of the very few positive aspects of the book was its reasonable price!

• 2 years later...

I almost picked this up the other day after I noticed that Amazon copies were going for over $100, but then I discovered that a new edition is coming out soon. At least I think so given the very confusing and apparently disappointing nature of the previous release...

http://www.taschen.com/pages/en/catalogue/popculture/all/44931/facts.jazz_covers.htm

• 2 months later...

I almost picked this up the other day after I noticed that Amazon copies were going for over $100, but then I discovered that a new edition is coming out soon.

The new edition is out now

jazz1.jpg

A two-volume book, heavier and bigger (12inch size as should have been from the start) in a slipcase.

Jazz Covers