Max Roach, Miles Davis Mosaics running low

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Roach was delivered this afternoon but I overheard the doorbell ... the music playback was too loud ... must pick it up at the DHL station 10 miles from here tomorrow.

The nearest one to me was about 60 miles away ( :o ). After a failure to catch me at home I ended up getting them to drop it (the Berigan, not Roach) off at work. On the plus - no import duty. :D

Edited by sidewinder

On the plus - no import duty. :D

That's what I thought a few years ago, when I last used a carrier like DHL - until I got a friendly letter a few weeks later asking me to pay tax and duty. When I called them they told me they always billed people a couple of weeks after delivery, they didn't want their drivers to carry money around with them...

That's what I thought a few years ago, when I last used a carrier like DHL - until I got a friendly letter a few weeks later asking me to pay tax and duty. When I called them they told me they always billed people a couple of weeks after delivery, they didn't want their drivers to carry money around with them...

Damn ! :rlol

FWIW:

In the UK duty is paid if the item is valued at £18 or more. Mosaic values shipped orders at $5 per item. On a 7 CD set that is $35 and at current exchange rates that is under £18. So this is a good time for UK residents to buy 7CD Mosaics! I'd add that DHL has the only a very low administrative charge for processing the duty on those occasions when it IS payable, and I quite like the after-the-fact billing system - it means the order isn't slowed up, and the joy of its arrival is not marred by writing a cheque while someone stands over you...

yeah, they went online and googled for the website obvously and neatly-written put the real value on the package... which of course costs me 20 euro when it happens....

once they also kept a package back and asked me to sent in a copy of a non-bogus receipt before they would pass it on to me... took 2 months or so, in the end.

that stuff is crazy, I hate all this protectionist behaviour here, but there's hardly a chance this is going to change in the next 10 years, politically.

I always go for the USPS option as, in my experience, I always end up paying duty if anything is shipped DHL. Very rarely do so if shipped USPS.

It is also much more convenient to pick the parcel up from your local Post Office rather than DHL depot. And I don't think that the Royal Mail fees are more than the DHL ones.

I always go for the USPS option as, in my experience, I always end up paying duty if anything is shipped DHL. Very rarely do so if shipped USPS.It is also much more convenient to pick the parcel up from your local Post Office rather than DHL depot. And I don't think that the Royal Mail fees are more than the DHL ones.

I agree with that, although it is difficult to predict when you are going to be hit or not. My last two Mosaic orders were over $200 and I seem to have got away with it although they shipped with DHL.I stopped using USPS as Royal Mail are a bunch of inefficient lazy people who get away with murder. I have often found my Mosaic parcels sitting outside my front door in the rain. you can't even make a complaint as they don't bother answering the phone.... I also find that with USPS, the parcels often get stuck at the customs for much longer..

Edited by ASNL77

you can't even make a complaint as they don't bother answering the phone....

You can make a claim for any damage caused by them by filling in a form (obtainable at any PO) and their local management will then follow it up - usually by inspecting the damage and agreeing a settlement. I've had that happen on at least one box of rare vinyl. :rmad:

In the UK duty is paid if the item is valued at £18 or more.

As far as I know the limit is the same everywhere in the EU - but I'm sure Claude knows much more about that than I do.

Edited by J.A.W.

The sound on the first LP of the In A Silent Way set is a little odd to me - I'll have to A/B it with the cd later today. Could just be that I don't have the furniture set up in the living room yet.

There's what sounds like quite a bit of high pitch feed-through, if that's what you mean. At least that was my last recollection of the set. I'll have to check.

A couple of king-sized sofas should cure it. :cool:

Edited by sidewinder

Come to think of it, I have been 'dinged' with a cheque from DHL after the fact before. Just forgot about it.

As you say, with the current exchange rate it shouldn't be too bad.

damn, I thought I'd got away with it too using DHL , never mind..........

yeah, but the swiss bastids have already checked the website to find out the real value, since the 5$ are obviously humbug!

Same here - I paid € 25 each for the Mobley last month and the Roach I picked up this morning. :angry:

But the music makes good for this - and with the $ being so low .....

My Roach set is # 2702, btw.

The photos in the booklet are great, and the interviews with the participating musicians all the more so. Only thing I don't get is pianist Billy Wallace stating Max didn't swing - the band swings so hard my speakers almost start moving! Drum solos a plenty - a nice reminder that Max influenced me a great lot during my formative years - I'll never forget my fellow percussionist remarking how funny it sounded when I played Max Roach phrases in conga solos ...

The sound on the first LP of the In A Silent Way set is a little odd to me - I'll have to A/B it with the cd later today. Could just be that I don't have the furniture set up in the living room yet.

There's what sounds like quite a bit of high pitch feed-through, if that's what you mean. At least that was my last recollection of the set. I'll have to check.

A couple of king-sized sofas should cure it. :cool:

And it helps just in case you don't like the record....ZZZZZZHHHH!

One less Max Roach Mosaic available as I point and clicked 4:48pm cst.

I have most of this stuff in various formats but as a drummer, there is

no way I could pass this up. Same with the Elvin Blue Note Mosaic, I have

all of it in various formats, bought it before it was gone, haven't opened any cds yet and am

laughing as this OOP set has fetched prices North of $300.00.

Long Live Max Roach! :tup

Edited by dova

Both Miles sets are now on Last Chance.

Waow! :blink: . They will have been in the 'running low' section for just a week. This has to be a record! These sets are so good especially (the 63-64) that I believe I should buy them again! :)

Edited by ASNL77

[The Miles must be going out the door pretty fast, mine just arrived (#723)

Damn, I want that one to slow down a little bit.

It's going to be an expensive week ! <_<

Well Bob, it is time to take the plunge otherwise you will have to come to Bristol to listen to it! :D

[The Miles must be going out the door pretty fast, mine just arrived (#723)

Damn, I want that one to slow down a little bit.

It's going to be an expensive week ! <_<

Well Bob, it is time to take the plunge otherwise you will have to come to Bristol to listen to it! :D

Holey Moley ! :blink: Thanks for the prompt - I was hoping they'd give me at least another month 'grace period' but apparently not. Just got my order in, along with a 'Cosmic Scene' to hit the shipping limit. :D