Max Roach, Miles Davis Mosaics running low

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I'm getting my first turntable (a USB-pluggable type) next month since the Fisher Price I owned when I was 6 ( I'm in my early 30s now). I am most definitely getting the Roach box. Should I spring for the two Miles LP sets too? I have the IASW CD box already and have very few of the '63-'64 material in any form. There is little to no vinyl in my collection right now. Noticed the Plugged Nickel and Gil Evans sessions LP sets are long gone. So tempting....... Somebody, push me over the edge. :P

Edited by trane_fanatic

Just got all 3 of these sets in today...

WHEW!!! :wacko: Mosaic overload...

I'm spinning the Max Roach now...disc 2. Loving the music. The mastering does seem a tad bright (as I've read on here before), but it's not to the point where it's distracting. As for the Miles sets... They are things of beauty. Absolutely. I held off on buying these for a loooooong time... Having had the CD sets for a few years, I thought that I would be content with those. However - after seeing the LP sets on the Running Low list, I couldn't resist. Had to get them... I'm so glad I did!

If you've got a decent turntable, you owe it to yourself to pick these up before they're all gone. (Consider that a gentle shove, Trane Fanatic!)

Edited by street singer

The Max set arrived earlier this week #2737. I've gotten through 2 1/2 discs so far. Kenny Dorham really stands out to me on those first two discs..his consistency more than anything, I guess. Beautiful music, well worth the purchase.

It's interesting to read the musicians' recollections in the booklet. A Billy Wallace quote really stands out:

"We never thought Max could swing. Now, by today's standards, he swings well, becasue these cats can't swing at all. But then the drummers I liked were drummers that were more interested in the pulsation, and the time, and swinging, and being able to play a rather slow groove, and all those things , and we just never thought that Max could swing that well." :o

The sound on the first LP of the In A Silent Way set is a little odd to me - I'll have to A/B it with the cd later today. Could just be that I don't have the furniture set up in the living room yet.

Getting the couch in the living room has made a huge improvement in the acoustics - this set is sounding pretty damn good to me right now.

I think I'll start marketing audiophile furniture.

There were 140 Max Roach sets left on Thursday.

I wonder how quickly this is going to go. I'm nervous about ordering it this week as our office is moving on Friday and I'm worried about the shipping getting caught in the transition.

There were 140 Max Roach sets left on Thursday.

I wonder how quickly this is going to go. I'm nervous about ordering it this week as our office is moving on Friday and I'm worried about the shipping getting caught in the transition.

Order it now and ask them to hold off on shipping it?

I charge a consultancy fee by the way.

Anyone got any idea which sets are likely to be next on deck for the chop?

Having sprung for the IASW and 63-64 vinyl sets I can see going for the Miles/Trane and Second Quintet sets even though I have 90% of the material already on CD.

I had none of the 63-64 material and only the 1980s Cd issue of IASW which made justifying ( to myself that is) their purchase. The vinyls sets do sound good.....why did they stop vinyl... poor sales I guess judging by the numbers on my sets.

Anyone got any idea which sets are likely to be next on deck for the chop?

I asked about the Hodges when I ordered the Roach and got as an answer that it "should be around until the end of the year"... but I see that one as a likely candidate, I think it came out around the same time as the Roach.