The John Coltrane Reference

There are occasions where a photo is listed but for some reason (publisher, editor, author oversight) the photo is not actually inserted. I suppose comparison with other copies will tell the tale. Especially in a big book like this.

BTW, the book is now available in paperback for under $60. Time to pull the trigger? Or is this one of those books that need to be in hardcover?

Edited by Leeway

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I discussed it all in detail with David Wild before posting here - my copy misses a couple of dozen (prob. glossy) "inserted" (un-numbered) photo pages. That's just fact. And I hate to discover this so late in the game ... waiting for Routledge to answer my inquiry now.

And no, definitely no hardcover needed I'd say, though it helps keeping the book in good shape (it's about 2 inches thick and comes in A4 format, close to US letter format - the US edition might be letter, what do I know ... but the yurpeen one should have them photos, too).

• 10 years later...

So happy to have recieved a paperback copy for my birthday/Christmas by my wife. This is one impressive reference. The amount of information and details is amazing. This one’s going to be in my music room :)

I’d dare to say that for the die hard Coltrane fan this book is not to be missed. 

4 hours ago, Pim said:

So happy to have recieved a paperback copy for my birthday/Christmas by my wife. This is one impressive reference. The amount of information and details is amazing. This one’s going to be in my music room :)

I’d dare to say that for the die hard Coltrane fan this book is not to be missed. 

Just keep in mind there are two concurrent timelines in the book - the sessionography is kept separate.  I found myself going back and forth between the first half of the book and the second.  But there is a lot of depth.  Enjoy!

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/25/2023 at 6:03 AM, Pim said:

Agreed, I thought this was one of the most comprehensive single musician reference texts when I received my copy over 10 years ago but for me this has now been surpassed by the Rick Lopez Magnum Opus "The Sam Rivers Sessionography"