Chet Baker Trio - Sweden 1985 (DVD)

Claude

I just received this DVD from a Amazon UK Marketplace seller. It's on the Impro Jazz label, probably connected to the well known spanish jazz reissue mafia.

c4592.jpg

http://www.freshsoundrecords.com/record_po...?record_id=4592

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Chet-Trios-Baker-S...5/dp/B000JBWWSS

It's also currently available at Zweitausendeins for 10 Euro.

I love Chet Baker's drummerless trio from the mid 1980, so I ordered this DVD without any prior research. I expected a TV recording of a concert, with limited video and audio quality.

When I played the first track, I was surprised by the very good stereo sound, and the fact that the concert was recorded in a small room without an audience. The thick leather armchair that Chet sits in looked familiar. I went through my Chet Baker CD collection and noticed that the album "Candy" (reissued on Sonet) was recorded the same day, in the Sonet library. And indeed, there's a picture in the booklet of Chet playing in that chair, and the track list and title duration is identical, including a Chet interview with Red Mitchell.

baker_chet~_candy~~~~_101b.jpg

So this is a video document of the recording session. The sound quality is not as good as on the CD, there are some distortions on the louder trumpet notes and a few drop outs, but for a DVD it's very good. The picture quality is not as great, the colour is a bit bland. The camera shots are mainly close-ups. The tracks are edited together, so there is no studio discussion, except for the interview.

I think this is an essential document for every Chet Baker fan.

Edited by Claude