Sam Rivers Marathon on WKCR

I can't believe no one has posted this. Right now, check out WKCR, online or otherwise. They just began a big memorial broadcast marathon celebrating the music of Sam Rivers. Ends next Friday at 9 pm. They promise lots of rarities and interviews. And yes, expect a lot of Phil Schaap yapping, but that's fine.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe no one has posted this. Right now, check out WKCR, online or otherwise. They just began a big memorial broadcast marathon celebrating the music of Sam Rivers. Ends next Friday at 9 pm. They promise lots of rarities and interviews. And yes, expect a lot of Phil Schaap yapping, but that's fine.

Is it common for WKCR to present this type of marathons or is it just a one off? This is a great idea. I'm really digging this. Listening now to Sam's Impulse recording: 'Streams'. Great stuff again! I really hope I will have the chance to see him again play in the UK soon. I am still so sad about not having been able to see Andrew Hill before his ... departure. :(

Yes, the marathons are part of the tradition of WKCR. The artists and day vary, with a few exceptions (Louis Armstrong, for example).

There are the marathons (festivals) and then there are the annual birthday broadcasts.

Long ago it became tradition at WKCR to play 24 hours of a jazz great's music on his/her birthday.

Max Roach

(b. January 10, 1924)

Roy Eldridge

(b. January 30, 1911; d. February 26, 1989)

Ornette Coleman

(b. March 9, 1930)

Bix Beiderbecke

(b. March 10, 1903; d. August 7, 1931)

Billie Holiday

(b. April 7, 1915; d. July 17, 1959)

Charles Mingus

(b. April 22, 1922; d. January 5, 1979)

Duke Ellington

(April 29,1899; d. May 24, 1974)

Louis Armstrong

(b. August 4, 1901; d. July 6, 1971)

(he believed his birthdate to be July 4th 1900, so we celebrate both birthdays.)

Lester Young

(b. August 27, 1909; d. March 15, 1959)

Charlie Parker

(b. August 29, 1920; d. March 12, 1955)

(combines with Lester Young to form a three-day broadcast)

John Coltrane

(b. September 23, 1926; d. July 17, 1967)

Thelonious Monk

(b. Oct. 10, 1917; d. February 17, 1982)

Clifford Brown

(b. October 30, 1930; d. June 26, 1956)

Coleman Hawkins

(b. Nov. 21, 1904; d. May 19, 1969)

It's all supposed to culminate in a reunion of the trio with Rivers, Dave Holland and Barry Altschul at Columbia University's Miller Theatre (2960 Broadway at 116th St.). I'm definitely going up.

details from their website.

p.s. speaking of Altschul, he is coming to philly to play with Billy Bang and Joe Fonda as the F.A.B. Trio June 1 at the International House at 3701 Chestnut St. (right near UPenn). It's a double bill with Rudresh Mahanthappa's Codebook (w/ Vijay Iyer - piano, Francois Moutin - bass, Dan Weiss - tabla, drums).

keep an ear out for the George Lewis replay-- I've seen George plenty of times, inc. at the legendary Roscoe L-R-G/The Maze/S II Examples gig but unless I'm forgetting, I never heard him in prolonged conversation before.edc

ozona, fla

Curious if you were at the 3 original recording sessions, the Public Theater performance of L-R-G later that year or at the recreation in Chicago at the Museum of Contemporary Art a few years back?

keep an ear out for the George Lewis replay-- I've seen George plenty of times, inc. at the legendary Roscoe L-R-G/The Maze/S II Examples gig but unless I'm forgetting, I never heard him in prolonged conversation before.edc

ozona, fla

Curious if you were at the 3 original recording sessions, the Public Theater performance of L-R-G later that year or at the recreation in Chicago at the Museum of Contemporary Art a few years back?

I'm curious too, especially about the first, but would assume that the ordinary rules of space, time, and dimension need not apply to EDC. Also goes without saying that he can make himself invisible.

Edited by Larry Kart