Sam Rivers Marathon on WKCR

I don't know if the Sam Rivers tribute was still going on last night at about midnight.... But I turned on that station and found what was on completely unlistenable garbage. That kind of piano trio where everyone plays fast nonsense with the occassional simultaneous bashing. The thing went on and on forever. I kept thinking I should just hang in there to see if this was Sam Rivers. But even after turning the volume down and then coming back to it going on and on....I gave up. Who in their right might could listen to that stuff without becoming suicidal is beyond me. It might have been Rivers because I've seen him live and he and his group did this sort of thing. Give me his old Blue Notes anytime.... :g

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

door #4, Borough of Manhattan Community College, i have the flyer/program somewhere back in Brooklyn but now i can't remember if the Chicago gig was a cpl days before or later... later i think, bc i laffed thinking about how the hell they get Roscoe's percussion cage back & forth.

edc

ozona, fla

I forgot they went to NY after the Chicago concert. I remember Roscoe made the trip in his burgundy Lexus 400. He was going to drive straight through. FWIW, I have 12 track tapes of the two shows in Chicago as well as a dress rehearsal. The concerts were videotaped too.

Hey Clem, I've heard Sam live three times in three different contexts. Solo, w/a straight ahead pickup band, and with his own trio. I'm a huge Sam fan and enjoyed 2 of the concerts very much. The one with his own trio was my least favorite...a lot of what I described above. Sam is a MONSTER...a genius...I love his horn playing...not crazy about what happens when he sits at the piano.

maybe Stefan heard it, a live gig from Dartmouth, Mass (town of, NOT the college)... SS-- & there are OTHER times Sam will peel off a 10 minute tenor solo that chews up Hank, George Coleman, Harold Alexander (Alex Coke) & lots of other dudes before & after etc etc... which is to say the motherfucker has huge r-a-n-g-e (& not just on tenor). Also, there's plenty of weird shit on those Blue Notes, which I'm sure you recognize if you admit how you or others you know would think to play those tunes... the blowout you heard mighta been...Cecil, Sam, Jimmy Lyons & Andrew Cyrille? Three record set on Prestige, The Great Concert of Cecil Taylor, go forth & dig it. (Assuming you can at least recognize the genius of Conquistador.)

i know cacophony ain't yr bag but also consider it in the context of everything he does & can do-- might there be reason for it? hmmmmmm.

George Lewis, whom I'm extolling, played w/Basie so it's not like he doesn't know either. i'm all for the juke joints & keepin' traditional music alive but if you ever wanna do more than that... better to keep it fucking RAUCOUS than git all "tastey" on us... oooh, tastey! that shit is the death of music unless & until ya'll hit NPR & the background music squares buy it en masse.

edc (is boring but has "beautiful tone")

SS-- remember, you gotta make that face whenever you hit a tastey lick... you know which one! oooh.

THIS POST WAS EDITED FOR PAT HARE, JOE MEEK & GIG YOUNG

I haven't heard it yet, but I will get to it once I have the files sorted out.

George Lewis would be another fine subject for WKCR or someone to do a focus program on; what little I have heard (a Sackville recording, some others) there is some great thought and feeling to his playing.

A lot of the 70's loft scene is not to everyone's taste. However, when listening to Sam, I hear echoes of his playing on Blue Note, but more far reaching.

sam and mal duo.

sweet!

heaven!

I feel a little bit stupid. I transferred Rick Lopez' cassette of this performance to CDR and sent it to WKCR for the marathon. I made copies for Rick and the station and sent Rick back the cassettes. For some reason, I did not burn a copy for myself. I am sure I will regret that eventually.