The Bad Plus

Soul Stream

Saw them once--on balance, pretty good, I thought. But I'd be very sad if the band's success meant that Iverson didn't do any more of his more "mainstream" stuff--check out The Minor Passions on Frest Sound New Talent, a superb trio disc with Reid Anderson & Billy Hart, doing some interesting originals & a few standards like "Body & Soul".

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm with Eric on this one. These Are The Vistas was a monumental moment in modern jazz history. It was explosive, it was energetic, it was vital, and it was completely new.

The second album, however, was simply a re-tread of the first one. No longer as vibrant, nowhere near as explosive. Shock of the New is the first thought that comes to mind.

I saw them at Martyrs in April, and was thoroughly underwhelmed. Playing your drums with walkie talkies isn't all that impressive, I would have to say. They were plenty impressed with themselves, however.

Guest akanalog

i think many people are not aware "these are the vistas" or whatever it is called, is the bad plus' second album. the first album is self-titled and is on FSNT.

the bad plus embody everything i am not interested in, jazz-wise. i am not really interested at all in what they are saying or how they are saying it. and i say this as someone who just turned 27 and is probably in the bad plus' "target" audience. (maybe a smidge too old?)

they play "ironic post-modern jazz music performed by three white guys from the midwest" and i think it shows. just my opinion...

i will still give the first album some respect because as an indy label endeavor i can at least see something behind the thing, but as a major label vehicle, the bad plus seem even lamer.

i am thinking right now of another FSNT album, marlon browden's trio album, where both bjork and CSNY (via miles) are covered-and the results are much more to my liking. no irony, just exploring the songs and making something new or interesting of them.

Listening right now (and recording), thanks!

How do you record it?

With GoldWave, a programme that can be downloaded for free. There's a thread hidden somewhere with step-by-step explanations how to do it. I can't find taht thread... paging rockefeller center, paging rockefeller center!

Here's the link to the GoldWave site: http://www.goldwave.com.

ubu

So I saw them on Thursday night in Albany, and it was a blast! They have great stage presence. Dave King's drumming is wild and playful, and his use of toys is very creative and amusing. They introduced several new numbers. Some memorable ones were "Rhinoceros is my Profession" and "The Empire Stikes Backwards." Covers included a performance of Ornette's "Street Woman" (from "Give"), a rousing rendition of Queen's "We Are The Champions," and their version of "Smells Like Teen Spirit" as an encore. Great show. The audience was small (but what do you expect on a weeknight in Albany?), very young (with a few exceptions, most people seemed to be in their early to mid 20s) and, yes, all white.

I have all three albums an like them. However, I think that their originals are by far more interesting than the covers (my favourite of which, "Flim" rarely, if ever, gets mentioned and in any case pales in comparaison to the Aphex Twin original). "1972 Bronze Medallist," with its combination of stiff-but-jaunty rhythm and totally far-fetched melody line, is my favourite.

• 1 year later...

They opened for Ornette last night at NJ PAC, Newark, NJ. I've never heard them before.

I really liked the drummer. The sound must have been in stereo, so I could never really get a grip on the piano player down on the other side of the stage.

I don't think I'll buy any of their discs, unless used and very cheap. :g

But I was really impressed with the drummer.

I saw them abouat a month ago when a friend phoned and asked me if I wanted to go because the venue they were at had sold so few tickets they were giving them away to regulars! I knew nothing about them, and at first I wasn't impressed, but after a couple of numbers they won me over. The small audience seemed to really dig it, but I think most of them were there because they were already fans.

...although I saw them at an outdoor festival and there were a good mix of people, most of the people in front of the stage for this particular show was a younger crowd, many of those "jam band" :blink: kind of people!!!

I had not really heard them before but thought they were pretty good....lots of energy and the crowd dug them!

m~

Having not seen them live or heard their records, nevertheless the way they are being sold doesn't really inspire me (though I could see "Heart of Glass" being a good jazz piano tune). And I've seen King play in Happy Apple and other aggregations and to me he just lacks subtlety or anything I can latch onto. I suppose if it drives people to listen to more in this sector of music, then that's fine, but I suspect that for most of their audience, it won't...

I don't think I'll buy any of their discs, unless used and very cheap. :g

But I was really impressed with the drummer.

I love the drummer, David King i believe. Some cds are available for 5.99 from yourmusic.com. definitely worth it imo.

How has the other guy on the bill?

:tup:g

• 5 months later...

Caught their performance at Bath yesterday and liked it (this was the first time I have ever heard them, having been put off by the name and some of the hype in the past). As has been mentioned, all 3 of the guys can really play and Dave King's drumming in particular was a real standout. Echos of Gordon Beck's 'Gyroscope' in places, even ( :tup). Not only did the band's playing have great precision but it really grooved too - something that only seems to happen at Bath when the big US names play there ( :D ). They (deservedly) got a warm response from the Bath Fest crowd.

Edited by sidewinder

• 9 years later...
  • 10 months later...