The Bad Plus

Soul Stream

I had a chance to go see The Bad Plus last weekend and ended up not going. They've seemed to really get the hype lately. However, I usually find myself a little underwhelmed at hyped events.

I haven't noticed any talk on the board about them (maybe I'm wrong about that). Anybody got any opinions?

I have to say, when I hear jazz musicians talk about how genius certain Rock groups are, I start to glaze over. Not that I don't consider many of those same artists genius, it just seems a bit of a sellout to wave the flag about how great The Police were when you're playing the Village Vanguard.

It takes more than a reworking of a rock song to make me a fan. How are these guys?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've listened to their release a half a dozen times. I like it. It's sound is bold and forceful and I think the guys can PLAY. The recording is geared to feature their "hard" sound and is very dynamic and full.

I hardly go and see anyone. . . . If they were appearing again in town at a reasonable price I might spring to see them. Would be interesting to see them perform. . . .

I have The Bad Plus' major-label CD (forget the title), and I like it quite a bit. Enough that I'm sure I'll pick up their next disc too. My wife really likes it a lot too. Totally acoustic jazz with a sort of rock edge to the sound (of both the group, and also the production).

I got no problem with jazz artists saying things publically about rock artists they admire. If that's what it takes to put a few more butts in the seats at the shows, more power to them. It's the music that matters, and frankly - if I heard about some jazz group that was claiming to have been influenced by a rock group that I like (or that they too liked that same group), I'm sure I'd at least listen to what they have to say (musically, speaking).

And there are about 10,000 bands worse than The Police to have cited as having been great. (I really like The Police, especially their earlier albums, but it's all good, actually.)

You probably missed a hell of a show, Soul Stream. Not that I've ever heard The Bad Plus live, but I would suspect that they're pretty darn good.

Count me in as a fan. I think they're really interesting.

There was a lot of debate on the old boards about The Bad Plus. This is my beef with some jazz purists: They bitch and moan that jazz isn't promoted properly and that "nobody cares about jazz but us," but when a younger band with some less-than-"pure" influences IS promoted by a major label they immediately become suspicious and dismissive.

All I would say to those who are suspicious of The Bad Plus and haven't heard them: Give it a listen with an open mind. Like Lon said, these guys can play.

I saw them on a weekend morning show a few months back. The music was very "difficult" for lack of a better term. I expected something much more repetitive.

I have friends from all backgrounds who are recommending this group to me. My brother and his musicians and even friends who don't necessarily consider themselves jazz fans tell me this is a great disc.

The hype spun me the wrong way apparently because I still haven't checked them out.

I really like them and enjoy their CD a lot. Each member of the trio adds signifcantly to the final outcome, and I find myself focusing on a different player with each listen. I also have no problem with them covering rock tunes or having a rock-influenced sound. The two rock tunes they cover on the CD ("Heart of Glass" and "Smells Like Teen Spirt") are a good bridge for some folks I think. I think people mistakenly think this will make them "light," "easy" or dumbed-down, all of which are wrong I think. I'd love to see them live and will go the first chance I get.

I have seen these guys three times now. They absolutely rock and are amongst the sincerest musicians I have met. They love the music and it shows. The hype does not do them justice. I will be very interested to see how they progress. I am pretty sure they are currently/ have recently recorded their second Columbia date.

• 1 year later...

Here's a bit of the Bad Plus live at Tampere, Finland, October 31st of last year.

Pretty good, in my opinion!

If the link does not work, go to the site here: http://www.radiofrance.fr/chaines/france-m...ion.php?e_id=37 and click on "ECOUTER".

I have to admit I was quite surprised how much I like those few tracks offered there! I never thought about picking up their disc(s) (probably because all the raves put me off), but I really enjoy the music!

ubu

Is it just me that thought their second disc was a complete bore?

Is it just me that began thinking "You know a foursquare rock pounder and a pianist with definite classical proclivities is a bad recipe for a jazz trio."

Not that I'm against anyone doing something different along this direction, but if you play something like New York Electric Piano next to these guys, don't they sound a little, ummmm, empty?

--eric

I went to see them back in June and was very impressed by the "live" performance. This group is very tight and can reach both traditional, straight-ahead fans, and younger listeners who are into more "modern" stuff (both improvisational and pop/rock). Haven't heard any of their studio material, however.

Definitely not a fan of BP. They are coming to town (Chicago), and I might even have a ticket as part of a subscription series but I wouldn't go. I was very underwhelmed by the first album, and in fact I actively disliked it, thinking I would never bother to listen a third time (trying to give it one more chance). Then I really got turned off by the massive hype.