Tete Montoliu

EKE BBB

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One Tete side that I don't believe has been mentioned is a duo session with George Coleman from '77. The incarnation I have is called Dynamic Duo and is thoroughly enjoyable, IMHO.

I have one by the same called Meditation that is also excellent.

Different name, same disc. From my Tete Montoliu Discography at Michael Fitzgerald's JazzDiscography website:

Date: February 20, 1977

Label: Timeless

George Coleman, Tete Montoliu (ldr), George Coleman (ts), Tete Montoliu (p)

a. a-01 Lisa - 5:28 (Tete Montoliu)

b. a-02 Dynamic Duo - 4:03 (George Coleman)

c. a-03 First Time Down - 5:01 (George Coleman)

d. a-04 Waltzing At Rosa's Place - 6:38 (George Coleman)

e. b-01 Meditation [aka Meditaçao] - 11:55 (Antonio Carlos Jobim, Newton Mendonça, Norman Gimbel)

f. b-02 Sophisticated Lady - 12:18 (Duke Ellington, Mitchell Parish, Irving Mills)

All titles on:

Timeless LP 12": SJP 110 — Meditation (1977)

Timeless/Muse LP 12": TI 312 — Meditation (1979)

Jazz Stop LP 12": JS-113 — Meditation (1983)

Timeless CD: SJP 110 — Dynamic Duo (1992)

King CD: ABCJ-131 — Dynamic Duo (2000)

Timeless CD: SJP 013 — Solo/Duo/Trio (2000)

• 2 months later...

For those who can read Spanish....

In Tomajazz, we have re-published a very long and interesting interview with Tete Montoliu conducted by Miquel Jurado and first published in Quàrtica Jazz #1 (April 1981) (of course, with due permission from Jurado).

I have added new footnotes with clarifications, additional information, discographical comments and corrections to several data.

The first part was published in October, while the second part will be published in a few days.

Best regards,

Agustín Pérez

More Tete news...

In a few days, Spanish label Contrabaix will release a CD with duo recordings by Tete Montoliu and bass player Javier Colina from August 1995. Their one week engagement at the Café Central led to this recording at the Cine Arte studio, which has remained unissued so far due to hard negotiations.

Since Contrabaix has refused to send me an advance copy to write an early review at Tomajazz, I will have to wait like lesser mortals..

<_<

For those who can read Spanish....

In Tomajazz, we have re-published a very long and interesting interview with Tete Montoliu conducted by Miquel Jurado and first published in Quàrtica Jazz #1 (April 1981) (of course, with due permission from Jurado).

I have added new footnotes with clarifications, additional information, discographical comments and corrections to several data.

The first part was published in October, while the second part will be published in a few days.

Best regards,

Agustín Pérez

The second (and last) part of this Tete Montoliu interview is now available at Tomajazz.

It shares cover in the November issue of this on-line magazine with a very thoughtful and profound interview with Spanish pianist and free improviser Agustí Fernández (first of two parts) focused on his "Aurora" CD.

• 1 month later...

More Tete news...

In a few days, Spanish label Contrabaix will release a CD with duo recordings by Tete Montoliu and bass player Javier Colina from August 1995. Their one week engagement at the Café Central led to this recording at the Cine Arte studio, which has remained unissued so far due to hard negotiations.

Since Contrabaix has refused to send me an advance copy to write an early review at Tomajazz, I will have to wait like lesser mortals..

<_<

The disc is finally out: Contrabaix website.

Will be listening to this one for the rest of the day...

More Tete news...

<_<

The disc is finally out: Contrabaix website.

Will be listening to this one for the rest of the day...

post-150-1197282658_thumb.jpg

post-150-1197282668_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...

For those interested, Venus has just reissued one of the most difficult to find Tete Montoliu discs, "Catalonian Rhapsody", originally, Alfa ALCR-172.

VHCD-1154.jpg

http://www.venusrecord.com/v2/release/VHCD-1154.html

From my Tete Montoliu discography:

Date: March 8, 1992
Label: Alfa

Tete Montoliu (ldr), Tete Montoliu (p), Hein van de Geyn (b), Idris Muhammad (d)

a. 01 La Dama D'Aragó - 7:01 (Traditional) b. 02 Els Segadors - 7:43 (Traditional) c. 03 Cançó De Lladre - 6:25 (Traditional) d. 04 Three Young Ladies - 6:34 e. 05 Paraules D'Amor [aka Words Of Love] - 4:49 (Joan Manuel Serrat) f. 06 El Cant Dels Ocells - 6:55 (Traditional) g. 07 Don't Smoke Anymore, Please - 4:48 (Tete Montoliu) h. 08 My Street - 8:11

All titles on: Alfa CD: ALCR-172 — Catalonian Rhapsody (1992)

a. listed as The Lady From Arago
b. listed as Catalonian National Anthem
c. listed as Song Of The Robber
e. listed as Words Of Love
f. listed as The Singing Of The Birds
g. listed as Don't Smoke Any More

Details needed on d. and h. which may have more common titles.

Edited by EKE BBB

I have the "A Tot Jazz" session from the year 1965, the one with Billy Brooks on drums instead of Peer Wyboris (as also mentioned in the terrific discography above). The originality of his interpretations on these standards is striking. Nothing to be ashamed of in front of other great piano trios playing standards (Jarrett's for example).

Yes, that's the one I would recommend too. And, yes, it's with Billy Brooks and Eric Peter.

• 3 years later...

I wasn´t aware that he passed away 20 years ago, but it seems to mean something, that I was listening intensly to some of his great piano solos yesterday. Those Steeplechase "Dexter in Radioland" are wonderful and Tete Montoliu really stretches out on them. A fantastic pianist.

Later I think I saw him with Joe Henderson and it was Tete who rescued that gig, while the rest of the rhythm section was not good. Tete just waved to the lousy bass player to lay out and did the bass line himself.

• 2 years later...