Tete Montoliu

EKE BBB

Six years since he left us at age 64 due to lung cancer, I thought he deserved a thread of his own. One of the most underrated pianists, due to his nationality: in the 60s, jazz in Spain was very, very marginalized! Very gifted musician, with astonishing technical skills and a very bluesy approach.

Born in Barcelona, 1933, his father was a musician on the Liceo Orchestra and on Barcelona Municipal Orchestra. Though his father tried to orient him to classical music, his mother had a huge collection of jazz recordings... and a mother is always a mother!

Early he was in jam-sessions at Hot Club, leading Be-Bop quartet, sharing sessions with Don Byas, but it was his recording with Lionel Hampton in 1956 that brought him to the surface.

In 1961 he was called to join the European All Stars troupe. He got wider recognition during his stance in Copenhague, when he played and recorded with Dorham, Shepp, Webster, Golson, Grappelli, Kirk and Dexter Gordon.

In that period he alternated Berlin and New York with Madrid (at the Whisky Jazz Club) and Barcelona (Jamboree), where he formed his first stable trio with Eric Peter and Billy Brooks, accompanying guys like Booker Ervin, Lee Konitz, Art Farmer or Ornette Coleman.

In 1967 he recorded a legendary record for Impulse! with Elvin Jones and Richard Davis, unpublished.

Back to Europe he recorded profusely for Steeplechase and others, and gigs with the likes of George Coleman, Anthony Braxton, NHOP... came along.

More stable sidemen alongside his career: Horacio Fumero or John Heard on bass and Peer Wyboris or Tootie Heath on drums.

He did quite a lot outstanding solo recordings and performances till the end of his life (August 24, 1997).

Favorite recordings? Many! Just to start:

-Some Steeplechase recordings: Tete! (1974) or Tootie´s tempo (1976) and above all, the three discs Catalonian nights (1980) with Tootie Heath and John Heard and the 2CD solo live recording Boston Concert (1980).

-For the Italian label Soul Note, four solo discs called The music I like to play (1990)

-For Ensayo: Blues for myself (1977, with Eric Peter and Peer Wyboris).

-For Nuevos Medios: Lunch in LA (1980, with the appearance of Chick Corea, this was released by Contemporary); En el San Juan (1995)

And there are two very late recordings, very moving recordings:

-his latest (I think) solo recording Piano solo. Palau de la Música Catalana (1997, Discmedi Blau) where he pays tribute to his idols, Duke Ellington, Dexter Gordon, John Coltrane, Thelonius Monk or Charlie Parker

-and Per sempre Tete with Peer Wyboris and Horacio Fumero, live in a small club in Tarrassa, with his suite Monkiana as a shining star.

From all his sidemen dates, I´d pick Gentle Ben with Ben Webster, Short story with Kenny Dorham and Ten to two blues with Dusko Goykovich.

So, now and forever, TETE RULES!

Edited by EKE BBB

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Up!

Another recommendation:

c1113.jpg

It's About Blues Time

Tete Montoliu (p), Dusko Goykovich (t), Ferdinand Povel (ts), Joe Nay (d), Robert Langereis ( b )

Recorded in Barcelona, November 8, 1971 (a couple of days after the recording of "Ten to two blues")

Ensayo (reissued by Fresh Sound as FSRCD 305)

Tracklisting:

1. It's About Blues Time (Goykovich) - 13:55

2. Old Folks (Hill-Robinson) - 5:57

3. The End of Love (Hampton) - 5:27

4. Bosna Calling (Goykovich) - 6:03

5. You Know I Care (Pearson) - 5:23

6. Nameless Tune (Povel) - 5:16

Edited by EKE BBB

• 5 months later...

The Tete Montoliu discography is now online.

As usual, there are additional files - song index, personnel index, issue index. One aspect about which we are particularly proud is the correct spelling of names and titles - even when these sessions have been included in previous disocgraphies, the spelling and accent marks have been butchered.

We look forward to further improvements - for example, some interesting information has just come to light regarding rare issued material not included in any previous discography.

Any and all info concerning private tapes, broadcasts, etc. is welcome too. Also, details on any reissues or foreign issues not specifically mentioned.

Mike

Congrats on the discography, Agustín and Mike!

Of course I don't complain being listed as having helped some, although i feel bad for not yet having done all that I did indeed promise to...

I'll check the 1991-11-06 date with Booby - the playing time for "I should care" is probably wrong (it's only around 6 minutes, the source you had doubles the first three, it seems - I'll check and report back). Then there's anotehr bit of talking somewhere, and the radio guy mentions at least one title of a Tete composition ("Barcelona", I think) that you don't list - but then the titles are performed as a medley, anyway, so it's difficult to sort things out.

And as this is not a discographical-details-thread, some thoughts on Tete's music: I listened to "It's about Blues Time" "Lunch in LA" and that early trio disc EKE listed above (with Peter & Wyboris), last week. While I'm impressed, I have to say I don't (yet? - I hope!) really "get" all of his music. I love the trio a lot, they were so good together (the bass-drum team was a seasoned one, as I understand, mainstays of the spanish jazz scene, they also did that Pedro Iturralde record date with Hamp Hawes in Barcelona, really really nice one, reissued [but now OOP I think] on Spanish or some other European Blue Note).

With the later discs I got from EKE, I have, well, not exactly troubles, but it just doesn't really "click" with me. Will have to spend some more time with them, I suppose...

ubu

I have the "A Tot Jazz" session from the year 1965, the one with Billy Brooks on drums instead of Peer Wyboris (as also mentioned in the terrific discography above). The originality of his interpretations on these standards is striking. Nothing to be ashamed of in front of other great piano trios playing standards (Jarrett's for example).

Edited by ztrauq22

I've developed the impression that I'm a bigger fan of the duo format than most jazz fans, and hence enjoy the work Tete did with Mundell Lowe. (Sweet & Lovely - volumes 1 & 2 on Fresh Sound)

I'll second the rec. for "Dynamic Duo" with George Coleman. Another pair from my collection that represent good listens:

"Hot House" with Niels Pederson & Tootie Heath (Steeplechase)

"Solo Piano" A pairing of two LP releases - Yellow Dolphin St. and Catalonian Folksongs (Timeless)

On the latter disc there is a song titled "I Hate You." Always wondered who earned the contempt to have that tune dedicated to them!

This looks like a very through job! Conrgatulations, Agustin and Michael for providing this!

I am listed as a contributor but most of the credit should go to Claude Schlouch from whose discographies I picked most of the informations I forwarded on the Tete unissued sessions!

Glad to see there´s so much esteem and admiration for Tete Montoliu on this board.

Nowadays in this country, the only Spanish jazz that gets media coverage is the Flamenco-Jazz stuff (not that I don´t like it). Sadly, Tete Montoliu is an undervalued musician and an almost obscure figure. You can´t even read a line on him anywhere (try some Googling with his name only for Spanish sites: the results are simply discouraging).

As Miquel Jurado, Tete´s biographer and close friend, recently told me, it looks like everybody has even forgotten his name.

Thanks for all the encouraging words on the discography! Keep visiting it, as further corrections and additions will be uploaded as they come.

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...