Ornette Coleman & Charlie Haden, "Soapsuds, Soapsuds"

Bol

Pulled this out last night :)

Ornette's trumpet playing on this one(Some Day) and on Charlie Haden's, other duo record, "The Golden Number" is SO freakin' amazing. In my drunk state, i thought this was some of the most beautiful music making ever :) You know you hear Ornette--pure and simple---he's pushing lots of 'wrong' valves but HE makes it all work--him and my ears :)

But truly astounding music making here--yeah Clifford and Freddie can make your cry and be in awe, but there is something truly special here. Ornette cuts Don Cherry(silly talk-I know) on that Golden Number record...Any Don Cherry quotes anywhere about Ornette's trumpet playing?

Also--while we're at it...there MUST be other tunes that didn't make it on this amazing Haden record --"The Golden Number"--there's even a picture of Ornette and Don together on the record jacket...More tunes???

It's a great album. The composition "Human Being" contains one of Ornette's most beautiful melodies committed to record.

It is indeed very hard to find on compact disc. I only have a vinyl rip, so I've never heard the fabled "needle drop."

Maybe Starbucks will see fit to stock a reissue of this, along with their 283rd Chet Baker compilation, in their racks some day ... :w

Fortunately, the CD plays perfectly fine. But I am not sure about the music. It's a bit . . . sappy. Given what you all say about it, I will definitely give it more of a try. If my misgivings about it continue, you will see this listed on a FT/FS list.

Fortunately, the CD plays perfectly fine. But I am not sure about the music. It's a bit . . . sappy. Given what you all say about it, I will definitely give it more of a try. If my misgivings about it continue, you will see this listed on a FT/FS list.

You must be too influenced by the first cut since you use the word "sappy".

You must be too young to have memories of the TV program where this melody served as theme music.

Listen to the music if you can't "get" the irony.

I hope you love it - I do.

Very nice OC date.

You must be too influenced by the first cut since you use the word "sappy".

You must be too young to have memories of the TV program where this melody served as theme music.

Listen to the music if you can't "get" the irony.

I hope you love it - I do.

Very nice OC date.

Well, I don't know anything about the TV show, but that is probably b/c I did not grow up in this country. In any case, I will give this a more sustained try. Thanks for the advice.

Well, I don't know anything about the TV show, but that is probably b/c I did not grow up in this country. In any case, I will give this a more sustained try. Thanks for the advice.

The recording title "Soapsuds, Soapsuds" is a parody of the title "Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman". This song was the theme music for a "soap opera" satire on tv at the time of recording. A Google of "Mary Hartman" should give ample evidence.

Sometimes it is difficult to divorce an art from the society surrounding it.

• 15 years later...
On 5/28/2007 at 10:40 AM, Late said:

It is indeed very hard to find on compact disc. I only have a vinyl rip, so I've never heard the fabled "needle drop."

Only 15 years later, and I finally picked up the CD of this fine album. An under-remarked Ornette album if there ever was one.

• 2 weeks later...