The World of Pops

jazzbo

Yes, that's the only volume available on eMusic, though all four are available on Itunes (vols. 1-3 for $9.99 each and the rare volume 4, which isn't available as a separate stand-alone CD, for $11.99). But the way to go is the box, which right now can be purchased from Amazon marketplace sellers for as low as $29.38, which is a pretty good way to get four discs that retail for $18.98 each. The notes by Gosta Hagglof are terrific, the rare pictures are wonderful and the music is superb, ranging from 1933 to 1967, though the bulk is from the peak of the All Stars, 1949-1959. There's very little repetition in song choice (though I hope you enjoy "When It's Sleepy Time Down South") and when there is, there's usually a different approach to one of the songs (such as "Basin Street Blues," a Trummy Young feature on volume 2, while the version on volume 4 features the standard Armstrong vocal). There are songs the All Stars didn't play often ("I Get Ideas," "Coquette") and Armstrong solos that differ from later, more "set" versions ("Indiana," "Way Down Yonder In New Orleans"). I go into more details in my blog entry on the box but I will say that Storyville's Mona Granger wrote me privately to thank me for the blog entry on the box set, saying that it needs all the help it can get because it's sold very few copies in America. I think this is a tragedy. Pops is, in my opinion, the greatest and most important jazz musician America ever produced and a four-disc box of rare, previously unreleased material with in-depth notes and a cheap price tag, can't even sell in this country because it's under-publicized. Definitely check it out if you love Pops because it will not disappoint (and hey, you never know, if it sells better maybe will Storyville will contine to dig into the late Karl Emil Knudsen's enormous vault and release more rare Armstrong!),

Ricky

dippermouth.blogspot.com

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 11 years later...
  • 4 years later...

Here's a great new post by Ricky Riccardi: https://virtualexhibits.louisarmstronghouse.org/2023/04/05/i-always-played-pretty-under-him-the-king-oliver-creole-jazz-band-centennial-celebration/

Of special interest, towards the end of the piece, are new transfers of the nine tracks Louis recorded with King Oliver.  They sound pretty good!

9 hours ago, mjzee said:

Here's a great new post by Ricky Riccardi: https://virtualexhibits.louisarmstronghouse.org/2023/04/05/i-always-played-pretty-under-him-the-king-oliver-creole-jazz-band-centennial-celebration/

Of special interest, towards the end of the piece, are new transfers of the nine tracks Louis recorded with King Oliver.  They sound pretty good!

Very nice!   I really liked listening to Armstrong reminiscing at length about his time with Oliver and the recordings.