1966 Jazz Magazine Readers Poll Best Organ

Hot Ptah

Correct, Thiele's name is nowhere in the mag but is was common knowledge at the time. Met Rivelli once and corresponded with her a bit. Some said she and Thiele were involved but I don't know if that is factual. I do know I once stopped at her office and was told she was "in California on business". The next day I stopped by Thiele's office and was told he was "in California on business".

Met Pauline Rivelli a couple of times during visits to NYK in the late sixties. It was common knowledge then that she was Thiele's companion.

When I had a first look at this thread, I thought it referred to the French review Jazz Magazine.

Unless Im' wrong, the Rivelli magazine was simply named Jazz which was changed into Jazz & Pop in the late 60s.

One photo of James Brown I took was on the cover of a late 1967 Jazz & Pop -_-

Correct, Thiele's name is nowhere in the mag but is was common knowledge at the time. Met Rivelli once and corresponded with her a bit. Some said she and Thiele were involved but I don't know if that is factual. I do know I once stopped at her office and was told she was "in California on business". The next day I stopped by Thiele's office and was told he was "in California on business".

Met Pauline Rivelli a couple of times during visits to NYK in the late sixties. It was common knowledge then that she was Thiele's companion.

When I had a first look at this thread, I thought it referred to the French review Jazz Magazine.

Unless Im' wrong, the Rivelli magazine was simply named Jazz which was changed into Jazz & Pop in the late 60s.

One photo of James Brown I took was on the cover of a late 1967 Jazz & Pop -_-

It is the magazine called Jazz. I have tried to be careful throughout this thread to refer to it as Jazz magazine, not Jazz Magazine.

Now that it is a new day and I have renewed energy for this sort of thing, here are the results from the 1966 Jazz magazine Readers Poll for Jazz Composition, and Jazz Arrangement.

Jazz Composition

John Coltrane--A Love Supreme.....................1976

Horace Silver--Song For My Father...................362

Charles Mingus--Meditations on Integration.......360

Andrew Hill--Ghetto Lights................................151

Duke Ellington--Island Virgin............................146

Lalo Schifrin--The New Continent........................97

Gil Evans--Lotus Land........................................81

Rod Levitt--Mayor Of Vermont Village..................61

Archie Shepp--Hambone....................................58

Ornette Coleman--Faces and Places....................55

Lalo Schifrin--Jazz Suite on Mass Texts................46

John Coltrane--Brazalia......................................41

Cecil Taylor--Octagonal Skirts and Fancy Pants.....34

Duke Ellington--In The Beginning God..................31

Jazz Arrangement

Roswell Rudd--Niema..................................875

Gil Evans--Lotus Land..................................820

Duke Ellington--Rhapsody in Blue.................462

Duke Ellington--Island Virgin........................291

John Coltrane--A Love Supreme...................195

Herbie Hancock--The Egg..............................92

Charles Mingus--Meditations on Integration.....91

Lalo Schifrin--The New Continent....................75

Gary McFarland--And I Love Her.....................61

Donald Byrd--I'm Tryin' To Get Home..............45

Archie Shepp--Hambone................................39

Eddie Sauter--Mickey One..............................37

Cal Tjader--Soul Sauce..................................30

what did Clark Terry do to get third in the trumpet category :crazy:

what does the alto poll look like? other than with tenor or organ i find it hard to guess what it looks like... does Ornette dominate it? am i overlooking someone? (guess would be like Ornette Coleman 1500, Jackie McLean 800, Johnny Hodges 700, but...)

what does the alto poll look like? other than with tenor or organ i find it hard to guess what it looks like... does Ornette dominate it? am i overlooking someone? (guess would be like Ornette Coleman 1500, Jackie McLean 800, Johnny Hodges 700, but...)

I'd guess Cannonball leading the field.

MG

MG

of course! i knew i was overlooking someone (besides the numbers i guessed were way to high i suppose...)

MG

of course! i knew i was overlooking someone (besides the numbers i guessed were way to high i suppose...)

Bet Paul Desmond would have been well up the list.

MG

Alto results:

Johnny Hodges 991

Ornette Coleman 847

Jackie McLean 373

Cannonball Adderley 271

Lee Konitz 194

James Moody 131

Charlie Mariano 128

Phil Woods 94

Paul Desmond 89

Sonny Stitt 76

John Tchicai 71

Benny Carter 52

Frank Strozier 41

Art Pepper 39

Bud Shank 37

John Handy 30

Alto results:

Johnny Hodges 991

Ornette Coleman 847

Jackie McLean 373

Cannonball Adderley 271

Lee Konitz 194

James Moody 131

Charlie Mariano 128

Phil Woods 94

Paul Desmond 89

Sonny Stitt 76

John Tchicai 71

Benny Carter 52

Frank Strozier 41

Art Pepper 39

Bud Shank 37

John Handy 30

Thanks, Chuck! You saved me some work! I imagine that you have a library of many issues of this magazine. I just have the one issue.

I bought a couple of copies of Jazz Magazine in '67, and I noticed that the difference between it and Downbeat was that Jazz had a much more positive attitude toward the Impulse! label, and didn't mind dissing "Leonard the Feather".

So it doesn't surprise me that Shepp placed so high.

Jazz Magazine (later called Jazz & Pop) was owned by Bob Thiele so it shouldn't suprise you they exhibited a "much more positive attitude toward the Impulse! label".

Thanks. That explains A LOT. I have a compendium of interviews from J&P called Black Giants, but didn't realize the depth of the connection.

Interesting where Tchicai figures in the altoists' poll. I think he's great, but it's a surprise to see him so high.