Beethoven Piano Trios

Late

I have--and love--this Beaux Arts Trio set:

41MKVZ8WGTL._SS500_.jpg

Some others on the board may find this to be too "conventional-wisdom-ish" for their tastes, but I really enjoy it. This is the second cycle of Beethoven Piano Trios that the BA Trio recorded, in the '70s and '80s iirc. The first cycle, with slightly different personnel, was recorded in the '60s

EDIT: I see that Bentsy recommended the same set while I was typing this post. :tup

Edited by Ron S

Don't have anything against the recommended set other than it is a bit tame for my taste. I would probably prefer their earlier recordings by a small margin. I don't currently have a "set" but do have fond memories of Stern/Rose/Istomin from the '70s on Columbia. Not sure if the set is available.

edit for stupid typo

Edited by Chuck Nessa

The Castle Trio with Lambert Orkis on piano did fine versions of all (3 Cds on Vergin Veritas, 1 on Smithsonian, all oop).

A trio of Jos van Immerseel, Anner Bylsma, and Vera Beeths did two trios on a SONY Vivarte disc which can still be found.

All using historic pianos, but sound and interpretations are top.

Edited by mikeweil

Don't have anything against the recommended set other than it is a bit tame for my taste. I would probably prefer their earlier recordings by a small margin. I don't currently have a "set" but do have fond memories of Stern/Rose/Istomin from the '70s on Columbia. Not sure if the set is available.

edit for stupid typo

Yep, I agree with Chuck on this, the earlier recordings are a little better. I don't know if they are available on cd.

edit for stupid typo

Yep, I agree with Chuck on this, the earlier recordings are a little better. I don't know if they are available on cd.

Yes, this is a very good set. I have it on a 4 CD set as follows - Sony Classical SM4K 46738

Beethoven Piano Trios

are pretty UNimportant. if you must, Trio Parnassus on MD&G makes best all-around cases, tho' Mike's suggestions add some timbral ooomph that definitely helps.

meanwhile, know yr Haydn & Schubert on either end, Brahms & Reger further on.

e(dc)ven more so, get Terry Allen Juarez & take a 45 minute break from all this elegant chamberpot note spinning.

that's spelled

Terry Allen Juarez

Yep, I have to admit that, even for me, deeply in love with Ludwig Van's music from an irrational point of view, (like true love must be), I too think that His trios are one of the weakest part of His immortal works. So :tup for edc

Yep, I have to admit that, even for me, deeply in love with Ludwig Van's music from an irrational point of view, (like true love must be), I too think that His trios are one of the weakest part of His immortal works. So :tup for edc

True, but we're talking BEETHOVEN here! Not his most profound work, but still very enjoyable and worthwhile, IMHO.

EDC --The Archduke Trio doesn't excite you? In that work BTW I have fond memories of Cortot, Thibaud, Casals, coupled with Schubert's Trio No. 1.

EDC --The Archduke Trio doesn't excite you? In that work BTW I have fond memories of Cortot, Thibaud, Casals, coupled with Schubert's Trio No. 1.

:tup

Though I have the two separately on two Naxos releases. One includes The Archduke Trio along with the Kreutzer Sonata (and a set of variations) while the other has Haydn's Trio in G major (very nice), Beethoven's Kakadu Variations, and Schubert's Trio no.1. Transfers and audio restoration by Mark Obert-Thorn.

True, but we're talking BEETHOVEN here! Not his most profound work, but still very enjoyable and worthwhile, IMHO.

True, in fact I have the Beau Art Trio edition on vinyl box set, but I don't listen to it very often.

Yes, the Cortot, Thibaud, Casals "Archduke" is wonderful, Larry.