BFT 48 discussion - disc one

king ubu

As I will be away next week and need to take care of some things before I leave, I doubt I will be able to post detailed comments, but just a few jots here to leave my general impression. Which is good. This is nice & lively stuff, some of it more high-life than jazz, some of it a bit "primitive" in theme or execution, and some of it too smooth to convey its deeper joy to me. Anyhow, my guess is that the theme is South African jazz with Ibrahim on several tracks and I think Dudu is there and the Blue Notes and Kippie and whom have you. Good and enjoyable disk all in all, so here's to hoping I do find the time to make some detailed comments soon.

You're quite right with your name-dropping... but the difficulty is to attach the right names to the wrong tunes...

Also the theme is quite obvious by now, MG of course found out, but he's the expert anyway, it's almost a bit of an embarassment that I embarked for this with him in the audience, who could have done it much better and made picks for a gazillion of discs and tapes...

Anyway, I'm on vacation from July 1-16. I'll have the notebook with me but since I'm always sceptical, I'll make sure to post the replies on June 30st, just in case I can't really go online in Vienna...

But of course any contributions are still welcome after that and in fact if I can go online, I'll try and post some replies to comments as well, even if the answers will be up by then.

Also the theme is quite obvious by now, MG of course found out, but he's the expert anyway, it's almost a bit of an embarassment that I embarked for this with him in the audience, who could have done it much better and made picks for a gazillion of discs and tapes...

Oh no - this was a very good selection Ubu. I would have picked different stuff and it might, perhaps, not have been so unified.

MG

11. Another beautiful track. I have no idea who any of these players are. Nothing too exceptional from the metronomic percussionist, but the alto really shines and the trombone gets better and better as the tune goes along. I really love the alto and would like to hear more by him.

12. I know this track, too. I’m not recalling which album this is from, however. I love everything about this one. The song itself is fantastic. Great work by the percussionists and the bass player. I really dig the tuneful, funky rhythm. The horns are wonderful, too. Such a beautiful and joyous track!

13. A nice big band tune. I’m not sure I would need to hear more by this group, as they are a bit to “poppy” for my tastes. This track however, is nice, and make for a pleasant ending to this disc. I’d be interested in hearing this tune played by a band with more of an edge.

I had a wonderful time listening to both discs of your BFT, Ubu! Thank you again for compiling this music and for sharing. I look forward to reading the answers and exploring a few of these artists I am not familiar with.

You're quite right with your name-dropping... but the difficulty is to attach the right names to the wrong tunes...

hmm, right name, wrong title... let's see... track 4 is by W. 'M.' Ng. and titled "roaring Bullfrog", track 12 is by the B.N.'s and titled "Purple Andrew", track 13 is the A.J.P.'s and titled "don't look!"

or did you have something different in mind?