French Open 2007

I'm pretty sure there's no thread on Roland Garros, so...is anyone keeping up/watching the tournament?

It looks like there's going to be a possible upset with the Djokovic/Patience match going on right now. Patience is up two sets to one. Djokovic is seeded 6 where Patience is unseeded and he's the only French player left.

Edited for an updated score: 7-6 Djokovic, 6-2 Patience, 6-3 Patience, currently 3 all now.

Edited by Holy Ghost

Big semi-final matches coming up tomorrow: Federer v Davydanko; Nadal v Djokovic. Favorites have to be seeds 1 and 2 for yet another run for Federer to capture the one title that still eludes him. Have to give the nod to Henin on Saturday for her 3rd French Open Title.

Viva Espana!

Nadal deserved to win. He still produces the most visually exciting tennis when he plays at the French open.

You can't but feel story for Lederer who is the better equiped player and who has won everything except that Paris tournament.

Nadal is a great clay court player. If he ever wins something on a different surface, let me know.

In the meantime, whether he wins the French Open or not, Federer will go down as the greatest champion of all.

Dan: Nadal has won 5 titles on a different surface (out of 22 in total), one of them against Federer:

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rafael_Nadal#...duales_.2822.29

BTW: I'm sure you'd be a good tennis scouter:

From the 2004 Davis Cup Final thread:

then you pick a surface that allows the other guy-you know, the one who isn't Moya-a great chance to beat a top five player. Any other surface-he dosn't have a chance in hell. Has the other Spaniard ever won a pro event?

Five months later the one who isn't Moya is a top five player. :D

:w

:g

Nadal is a great clay court player. If he ever wins something on a different surface, let me know.

In the meantime, whether he wins the French Open or not, Federer will go down as the greatest champion of all.

Dan: Nadal has won 5 titles on a different surface (out of 22 in total), one of them against Federer:

Fewer than 20% of his titles, in other words. Basically he wins titles in a single, limited season and then mostly disappears for the rest of the year. I'll amend my comment to:

when he wins something significant on a surface other than clay, let me know.

BTW: I'm sure you'd be a good tennis scouter:

From the 2004 Davis Cup Final thread:

then you pick a surface that allows the other guy-you know, the one who isn't Moya-a great chance to beat a top five player. Any other surface-he dosn't have a chance in hell. Has the other Spaniard ever won a pro event?

Five months later the one who isn't Moya is a top five player. :D

:w

:g

Did anyone recognize what he would become - the best clay court player since Borg? Show me where other people predicted that, when he was 18. Otherwise, I stand by my comment at the time it was made.

Edited by Dan Gould

3 Master Series: Canada and Madrid two years ago, and Indian Wells this year, and the score vs. Federer in hard court is 2-2. But yes, you're right, he needs to win another Grand Slam to be number 1.

Well, I think after your sentence, he will be the winner in the US Open this year... :g

Edited by cayetano

Seriously Dan, are you talking shit about Rafael Nadal? Unbelievable. I'm in agreement with the rest of these guys, and the rest of the tennis world, for that matter.

He is a GREAT tennis player. He is very young. His rival competitor is arguably the best male tennis player to ever tour professionally. You cannot be serious. Are you?

Seriously Dan, are you talking shit about Rafael Nadal? Unbelievable. I'm in agreement with the rest of these guys, and the rest of the tennis world, for that matter.

He is a GREAT tennis player. He is very young. His rival competitor is arguably the best male tennis player to ever tour professionally. You cannot be serious. Are you?

Yes, I am. Until he wins a major on a different surface, I will not acknowledge that he is anything other than a great clay court player.

then you pick a surface that allows the other guy-you know, the one who isn't Moya-a great chance to beat a top five player. Any other surface-he dosn't have a chance in hell.

The only time he play vs. Roddick after the Davis Cup match, Nadal won on hard court 6-4, 6-3 (Indian Wells this year, and he won the tournament):D.

OK, not a major, do you know how much majors won Federer when he's just 21 year old? I know: nothing.

Have to go along with Dan on this one.

Federer is fantastic, so what, Lendl never won Wimbledon and he was great.

Why do we feel the greatest has to win everything? That is next to impossible.

Is that with Dan, or?

Clay is arguably the most difficult surface to learn. I guess time will tell, but I'd say Nadal is one for the history books, as is Henin.

Federer is great, Nadal is great

They both have their niches; Federer can't win the French, Nadal can't win anythiing else but has three straight wins at the French. That is great

Now, Anna Kournikova is a different thing...... :-)

Federer is fantastic, so what, Lendl never won Wimbledon and he was great.

Why do we feel the greatest has to win everything? That is next to impossible.

Same goes for Pete Sampras-never won the French-and with 14 grand slam titles, he's also great.

edited to take out that 'I'm with Dan' quote. It didn't make sense with my response.

Edited by Holy Ghost

I think the point that Dan is trying to make is that you have be strong on many surfaces to be considered great.

And i do agree with him on that point. Where we do disagree is what kind of performance should we expect of someone to be considered good on any other surface.

My feeling is that being a finalist on Wimbledon shows a strong command of that surface and you can take away the label one-dimensional at that point.

I think the point that Dan is trying to make is that you have be strong on many surfaces to be considered great.

And i do agree with him on that point. Where we do disagree is what kind of performance should we expect of someone to be considered good on any other surface.

My feeling is that being a finalist on Wimbledon shows a strong command of that surface and you can take away the label one-dimensional at that point.

Thank you for identifying my main point.

Where we part ways is the significance of being a finalist one time at Wimbledon. Kevin Curren was a runner-up once. Cedric Pioline, too (who reached exactly two Grand Slam finals in his career and was a top Ten player despite only winning five titles over all). Someone named Chris Lewis lost to McEnroe in the 83 finals - that proves he mastered grass?

Win a Slam that isn't played on clay - then I'll give him credit as something other than a clay court master.

I understand the point, I just disagree. Some people play alto. Others play alto, flute, and bass clarinet.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Rafael Nadal is not going anywhere anytime soon. If he can master clay, the rest will most likely come. I'm not predicting that he will be Federer in London this year, but I wouldn't be surprised if he gave him a good run.

I guess I just don't really understand the criticism, or the lack of credit/respect.

Not really sure why I'm even getting involved.

p.s. Roddick is not even in this league.