How about some Sonny Criss ?

Van Basten II

Big fan of this gentleman. From him i own the Complete Imperial sessions that made me fell him in love with his beautiful alto sax sound. In my dreams i sound exactly like him. Also acquired a few Original Jazz Classics such as Rockin' in rhythm, The beat goes on ! and This is Criss.

I noticed a few 32 Jazz of him, are they worthwhile, iis there any other stuff that i could find that is worth the time and the money.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For sure Saturday Morning on Xanadu, though it might only be available as Japanese import.

Sonny Criss Quartet feat. Wynton Kelly on Fresh Sound (originally At the Crossroads) is a very bluesy live recording, which should work if you dig the Imperial. I'm not sure about the ethics of buying Fresh Sound, though (I got this when I knew less about the label)...

For a bigger ensemble, maybe Sonny's Dream: Birth of the New Cool on OJC.

I'm also curious about the 32 Jazz releases...I got Crisscraft, which some (eg AMG) rate highly, but like it less than other Criss I've heard.

yes birth of the new cool

you havent mentioned early sonny criss bebop sides yet. now some people will tell on early sonny criss solos his timing is all fucked up and he sounds like a 2nd rate charlie: this is far from reality---

for early sonny criss you may buy a PROPER (UK) single cd issue called YOUNG CRISS, i believe- it includes a very very hard to find early quartet date w/ Hampton Hawes Trio, and the rest of the cd is the more well known sonny criss/bird/chet date from inglewood

The Jazz In Paris release Mr. Blues Pour Flirter might be available cheap as Dusty Groove. (Just checked, sorry it's not there, but Froogle shows it available at other places, though not at the usual cheap price that JIP releases are usually found.) It includes Rene Thomas on guitar. I'm also fond of the OJC Portrait Of Sonny Criss.

Only reviewed one of the Muse/32Jazz discs--the one with "Brother Can You Spare a Dime" on it (I forget the title)--plus the Mr Blues Pour Flirter. Both OK but I prefer the Prestige sessions, esp. Sonny's Dream & Portrait of Sonny.

I actually had a recent correspondence with David Sherr, who played on the Sonny's Dream session--he had a lot of interesting stuff to say about the session.

Only reviewed one of the Muse/32Jazz discs--the one with "Brother Can You Spare a Dime" on it (I forget the title)--plus the Mr Blues Pour Flirter. Both OK but I prefer the Prestige sessions, esp. Sonny's Dream & Portrait of Sonny.

I actually had a recent correspondence with David Sherr, who played on the Sonny's Dream session--he had a lot of interesting stuff to say about the session.

Sorry for the misplace phrase. I was referring to the Prestige quartet dates you reviewed. I think they are wonderful (and would make a great single cd).

I'll ask David if it'd be OK to repost his letter or to summarize it. No enormous revelations but it does explain a bit about how the session come about (may be info available elsewhere like the Central Avenue Sounds book or the Tapscott book for all I know) & has a few memories of the session.

Some previous discussion of a Criss Prestige date here. Those sides w/Walter Davis (THIS IS CRISS and PORTRAIT OF SONNY CRISS) are quite strong, as Chuck says... I like just about all of Criss' Prestige recordings. And yeah, Nate, Horace Tapscott does address what went down with the BIRTH OF THE NEW COOL session in SONGS OF THE UNSUNG. According to HT he and Criss had been playing together at an L.A. community center, which led to Sonny's interest in doing an album of Tapscott compositions. The original band was supposed to be made up of members from the Ark, but HT said that Don Schlitten of Prestige brought in the musicians who actually played on the date... they did get Everett Brown to stay on drums. It's on pg. 115-116 of Horace's autobiography.

Yeah! I like all the Prestiges, both Muses, the Xanadu and "Jazz USA" (Imperial) and all the Polydor sessions. Among early recordings, I love "Intermission riff" - a JATP job that came out on Pablo, with Jaws, Bennie Green, Joe Newman, Bobby Tucker, Tommy Potter & Klook. Lonehill has recently reissued it on CD, together with a 1956 set which is OK.

Hamp Hawes had Sonny and Teddy Edwards n a TV show he did that was recorded, live at Memory Lane. Joe Turner guested on a couple of tracks and you should hear Sonny WAILIN' behind him on "Shake, rattle & roll". If he'd wanted to, Sonny could have been the greatest R&R sax player ever - King Curtis? Bosh!

Oh, and I love "Warm & sonny", his first disco album for Impulse. Beautiful arrangements and Sonny's playing is out of this world!

MG

Virtually everything by Criss is worthwhile, especially what he recorded from the late 50s through the 70s Muse albums. That includes the French "Blues Pour Flirter" sessions, the Peacock release, the Prestige recordings, the Xanadu album, and the two Muse records. And don't forget about this tremendous live release:

f96118o0dkv.jpg

Some absolutely incendiary Criss blues playing can be found on outakes of the Blues Pour Flirter session released on this disc in the Jazz in Paris series.

f71240npsb2.jpg

Edited by John L

it includes a very very hard to find early quartet date w/ Hampton Hawes Trio

That's Criss's first leader session from 1949. It's an early gem and considering its strength I can't believe that Criss's next leader session was in 1956. The 1949 session was half of a Clef 10" LP which also had Tommy Turk's only leader session. That 10" LP in its turn made up half of a Norgran 12" LP titled An Evening Of Jazz, which has been out on a Japanese CD. The 1949 session has also been on a Fresh Sound CD.

Sonny Criss is IMO a strong candidate for being the most underrated or underappreciated jazz musician. He always sounds astonishingly good, and it's difficult to understand how he could go long periods without recording.

Joe Turner guested on a couple of tracks and you should hear Sonny WAILIN' behind him on "Shake, rattle & roll". If he'd wanted to, Sonny could have been the greatest R&R sax player ever - King Curtis? Bosh!

MG

Right. Ever heard Criss behind Esther Phillips on her Atlantic Confessin' the Blues?

luca

Edited by Eloe Omoe

And don't forget about this tremendous live release:

f96118o0dkv.jpg

Live in Bologna, 1974. I was there! My first jazz concert (I was 12 then). That's where it all started for me. I'll never forget that evening.

luca

Love those kind of stories. And I've got that album too.

Joe Turner guested on a couple of tracks and you should hear Sonny WAILIN' behind him on "Shake, rattle & roll". If he'd wanted to, Sonny could have been the greatest R&R sax player ever - King Curtis? Bosh!

MG

Right. Ever heard Criss behind Esther Phillips on her Atlantic Confessin' the Blues?

luca

Ah yes - at my age, you can't remember everything!

MG

Another great fan here of that Criss/Arvanitas 'Live In Italy' album. A splendid session!

Have been interested in this one,which tunes,how is the recording quality??

Dr. Jeff

This was a live date, recorded January 28, 1974 in Bologna.

Criss and the Arvanitas trio play:

- Tin Tin Deo

- Lover Man

- Sonny's Blues

- Summertime

- Willow Weep For Me

- Sunny

- Hooti's Blues

- Untitled Blues

Sound is very acceptable though a bit shrill.