J&R Jazz Department Rapidly Shrinking

J Larsen

I noted a while back in another thread that J&R had shrunk the jazz deparment down to fit the blue cds in the same room. Well, it has shrunk notably since then. They are down to about two rows of jazz cds, with everything currently on sale and no sign of restocking. Just an FYI for those of you thinking of making a trip down there - IMO it ain't worth it. It is reminiscent of the post-bankruptcy days of Tower. Aside from the new conns I couldn't find anything that didn't fall into the "disc I already have" category or the "crap" category. Looks like I'm an online shopper from now on.

J&R is currently on my shit list. I recently placed an order on their website for 6 RVGs. Got a receipt and shipping notice in short order, and figured I'd have the discs in hand quickly. Several days later, I received an empty padded manila envelope from them, containing an invoice but no CDs. The envelope was open, and after examining it there was absolutely no question that it had not been sealed properly when it was packed. I emailed them immediately, and after a week have received no response. Guess it's time to call my credit card company. :angry:

I noted a while back in another thread that J&R had shrunk the jazz deparment down to fit the blue cds in the same room. Well, it has shrunk notably since then. They are down to about two rows of jazz cds, with everything currently on sale and no sign of restocking. Just an FYI for those of you thinking of making a trip down there - IMO it ain't worth it. It is reminiscent of the post-bankruptcy days of Tower. Aside from the new conns I couldn't find anything that didn't fall into the "disc I already have" category or the "crap" category.

Sad, but not surprising.

I've ordered from them online two or three times, and each time the fill rate (on stuff that is not obscure within the jazz ecosystem) has been fairly low (compared to tower, cduniverse, alldirect, etc). And not just on the OJC blowout they had awhile back. I get the sense, perhaps incorrectly, that they are really thinning the jazz inventory with no plans of restocking. Call me paranoid.

I took advantage of the recent sale and ordered 4 discs. They ended up shipping only 2 of the 4. The titles out of stock could hardly be described as obscure, Blue Mitchell's "The Thing To Do" and the Clifford Jordan/John Gilmore album "Blowing In From Chicago". Orders never filled.

Guest donald petersen

i was there today...not so good.

HOWEVER, for mainstream stuff i still think it is sadly the best in nyc.

i mean this was the only place i could find "compulsion" and for $6.99!