Zweitausendeins noch einmal

Shrdlu

The latest "Merkheft" from Zweitausenddrei has arrived, and I'd just like to post that they still claim to have the Bill Evans Riverside set for about 19 eurothingys (just over $20 in real money) and also the Sonny Rollins Prestige set real cheap.

Just in case you don't know: the sound is the same as on the U.S. Fantasy CDs, but you don't get the 12"x12" box or the book. With the Evans set, CD 8 might turn out to be from the Miles Davis Prestige set, but Zweitausendeins will gladly send you the correct disc if there is an error. Stefan Leuning is your man if there are any glitches, and he's very helpful.

That's www.zweitausendeins.de

I used to get two Merkhefts each time, too. This happened because I made two orders which were regarded as having been made by two separate individuals. I then told them to send only one, and now I punch in my customer number whenever I order.

I don't really like the Merkhefts much. They contain a lot of sordid-looking stuff that smacks of German decadence in the twenties and thirties. I can almost hear that awful Dietrich woman singing.

But the music specials sure are good.

Re the Fantasy LPs, I've heard various reports, saying that some are digitally processed and others are basically RVG LPs. I don't know why an LP would be digitally prepared, though a recent new LP reissue of the MJQ's "Space" album was done digitally and sounds great to me. (It is now even more digital, as I've transferred it to CDr to save wear and tear on the vinyl!)

Do not buy the Fantasy LPs (made by Mikulsky/ZYX), even at the very low price (5 Euro).

I bought a dozen albums and only a few of them sound OK. They are all made from the 80´s digital masters used for CD production and mostly sound thin and bright. Some are worse than the 128kbs MP3s from the same albums I downloaded from emusic.com

Edited by Claude