Jazz Icons Second Series

kh1958

Buy the whole box, they're all great.

I am in total agreement with Ken's recommendation. :tup:tup

I should add that I found the price per DVD way lower when you buy the box (and if you get one you'll want them all, anyway).

You're right. You can get a pretty good deal on the set, plus you get the Bonus DVD. I have the box sitting at home still sealed as I haven't had the time to watch anything yet, but I'm really looking forward to getting into it. For that matter, i'm still loving the first set. :tup

Jeez - Costco selling 'Jazz Icons' now? :blink:

Series One I know but I checked out the Gillespie last night. Had no idea that Sonny Stitt would be on the first performance (Belgium) but there he was, playing right at his 1950s peak. Priceless. The Clarke/Boland + Gillespie performance from 1970 (Denmark) was also great, with Diz in good solo form and well complemented by the CBBB playing a mix of Gillespie and Boland band material. Some fine solos from Derek Humble and Ronnie Scott too - as a reminder on just how good they were. :tup

Buy the whole box, they're all great. It makes me wish American networks and stations spent more time documenting and preserving jazz on video (remember the moron who tossed early kinescopes of Steve Allen's Tonight Show with so many great performances lost forever).

Yeah, bought the entire box and halfway into it I am extremely pleased. Great, great stuff and soundtracks very much improved (over some prior bootlegs I have owned of some of the material). Loved the Brubeck, Trane, Dexter and Duke and have yet to view the rest, but it's been a fabulous treat so far.

P.S. As mentioned above, a bonus disc containing, among other things, a great version of Trane performing "I Want to Talk About You", is incentive enough to get the full box, especially if you're intent on buying 3 or more of the discs individually. By all means, go for the box.

Edited by MartyJazz

• 2 months later...