Jazz Icons Second Series

kh1958

JAZZ ICONS: SARAH VAUGHAN LIVE IN 58 & 64 (64 Minutes)

Sweden 9/7/58

Sometimes I'm Happy

Lover Man

September In The Rain

Mean To Me

Tenderly

If This Isn't Love

Personnel

Sarah Vaughan (Vocal)

Richard Davis (Bass)

Ronnell Bright (Piano)

Art Morgan (Drums)

Holland 6/7/58

Over The Rainbow

They All Laughed

Lover Man

Cherokee

Sometimes Im Happy

Personnel

Sarah Vaughan (Vocal)

Richard Davis (Bass)

Ronnell Bright (Piano)

Art Morgan (Drums)

Sweden 10/1/64

I Feel Pretty

The More I See You

Baubles, Bangles And Beads

I Got Rhythm

Misty

Honeysuckle Rose

Maria

Won't You Come Home Bill Bailey

Personnel

Sarah Vaughan (Vocal)

Buster Williams (Bass)

Kirk Stuart (Piano)

George Hughes (Drums)

JAZZ ICONS: CHARLES MINGUS LIVE IN 64 (90 Minutes)

Norway 4/12/64

So Long Eric

Orange Was The Color Of Her Dress, Then Blue Silk

Ow!

They Cant Take That Away From Me

If I Should Lose You

Buzzy

Take The A Train

Personnel

Charles Mingus Bass

Eric Dolphy - Alto Sax, Flute, Bass Clarinet

Clifford Jordan Tenorsax

Johnny Coles Trumpet

Jaki Byard Piano

Dannie Richmond- Drums

Belgium 4/19/64

So Long Eric

Peggy's Blue Skylight

Meditations On Integration

Personnel

Charles Mingus Bass

Clifford Jordan Tenorsax

Jaki Byard Piano

Dannie Richmond- Drums

JAZZ ICONS: JOHN COLTRANE LIVE IN 60, 61 & 65 (90 Minutes)

Germany 3/28/60

Autumn Leaves

Whats New

Autumn In NY

Hackensack

On Green Dolphin Street

Walkin

The Theme

Personnel

John Coltrane (Tenor Sax)

Wynton Kelly (Piano)

Paul Chambers (Bass)

Jimmy Cobb (Drums)

Additional Personnel

on Hackensack

Oscar Peterson - Piano

on Moonlight In Vermont and Hackensack

Stan Getz Tenor Sax

Germany 11/24/61

My Favorite Things

Ev'rytime We Say Goodbye

Impressions

Personnel

John Coltrane (Tenor and Soprano Sax)

Eric Dolphy (Alto Sax and Flute)

McCoy Tyner (Piano)

Reggie Workman (Bass)

Elvin Jones (Drums)

Belgium 8/1/65

Vigil

Naima

My Favorite Things

Personnel

John Coltrane (Tenor Sax and Soprano Sax)

McCoy Tyner (Piano)

Jimmy Garrison (Bass)

Elvin Jones (Drums)

JAZZ ICONS: WES MONTGOMERY LIVE IN 65 (78 Minutes)

Holland 4/2/65

I Love Blues

Nicas Dream

The End Of A Love Affair

Personnel

Wes Montgomery (Guitar)

Pim Jacobs (Piano)

Ruud Jacobs (Bass)

Han Bennink (Drums)

Belgium 4/4/65

Impressions

Twisted Blues

Here's That Rainy Day

Jingles

The Girl Next Door

Personnel

Wes Montgomery (Guitar)

Arthur Harper (Bass)

Harold Mabern (Piano)

Jimmy Lovelace (Drums)

England 5/7/65

Four On Six

Full House

Here's That Rainy Day

Twisted Blues

West Coast Blues

Personnel

Wes Montgomery (Guitar)

Rick Laird (Bass)

Stan Tracey (Piano)

Jackie Dougan (Drums)

JAZZ ICONS: DEXTER GORDON LIVE IN 63 & 64 (69 Minutes)

Holland 7/29/64

A Night In Tunisia

Whats New

Blues Walk

Personnel

Dexter Gordon (Tenor Sax)

George Gruntz (Piano)

Guy Pedersen (Bass)

Daniel Humair (Drums)

Switzerland 11/17/63

Second Balcony Jump

Youve Changed

Personnel

Kenny Drew Piano

Gilbert "Bibi" Rovere - Bass

Art Taylor- Drums

Belgium 1/8/64

Lady Bird

Body And Soul

Personnel

George Gruntz (Piano)

Guy Pedersen (Bass)

Daniel Humair (Drums)

JAZZ ICONS: DAVE BRUBECK LIVE IN 64 & 66 (67 Minutes)

Belgium 10/10/64

St. Louis Blues

Koto Song

Three To Get Ready

In Your Own Sweet Way

Take Five

Personnel

Dave Brubeck Piano

Paul Desmond - Alto Sax

Eugene Wright Bass

Joe Morello- Drums

Germany 11/6/66

Take The A Train

40 Days

I'm In A Dancing Mood

Koto Song

Take Five

Personnel

Dave Brubeck Piano

Paul Desmond - Alto Sax

Eugene Wright Bass

Joe Morello- Drums

JAZZ ICONS: DUKE ELLINGTON LIVE IN 58 (65 Minutes)

Holland 11/2/58

Black And Tan Fantasy

Creole Love Call

The Mooch

My Funny Valentine

Kinda Dukish

Rockin' In Rhythm

Mr. Gentle And Mr. Cool

All Of Me

Things Ain't What They Used To Be

Hi-Fi-Fo-Fum

Sophisticated Lady

Don't Get Around Much Anymore

Do Nothing Til You Hear From Me

Don't You Know I Care

In A Sentimental Mood

Mood Indigo

I'm Beginning To See The Light

Caravan

I Got It Bad And That Ain't Good

It Don't Mean A Thing (If It Ain't Got That Swing)

Solitude

I Let A Song Go Out Of My Heart

Diminuendo In Blue And Crescendo In Blue

Personnel

Reeds:

Johnny Hodges (alto sax)

Russell Procope (alto sax, clarinet)

Paul Gonsalves (tenor sax)

Jimmy Hamilton (tenor sax, clarinet)

Harry Carney (baritone sax, clarinet, bass clarinet)

Trumpets:

Cat Anderson

Harold "Shorty" Baker

Ray Nance (trumpet, violin, vocal)

Clark Terry

Trombones:

Quentin Jackson

John Sanders (valve trombone)

Britt Woodman

rhythm section

Duke Ellington (piano)

Jimmy Woode (bass)

Sam Woodyard (drums)

Ozzie Bailey (vocal)

JAZZ ICONS BOX SET (Bonus Disc)

JOHN COLTRANE

Sweden 11/30/62

I Want To Talk About You

DEXTER GORDON

Norway 1964

I Want More

DAVE BRUBECK

Finland 5/18/65

Unisphere

SARAH VAUGHAN

Sweden 10/30/67

The Shadow Of Your Smile

What Now My Love

I Had A Ball

DIZZY GILLESPIE

Interview 1970

The Coltrane/Getz 1960 Dusseldorf is, for me, the biggest treat of the box set. This 1960 JATP video has been floating around the world (very few copies until recent showings on youtube) for quite sometime. The Jazz Icons release will feature the ballad medley set, too, which is killin'. Getz and Coltrane really shine on this one and it is a huge treat to see/hear Paul Chambers and Wynton Kelly, too. I couldn't stop smiling last night when I received the announcement email from David Peck/Jazz Icons. Other than that, I'm very much looking forward to the Dexter Gordon set with Kenny Drew and especially A.T. on drums - rare to find any video with Art Taylor. Also, the Wes, Vaughan, Mingus and Ellington stuff looks great - count me in for a purchase of the entire box set in September. Jazz Icons prides itself on releasing video which has rarely or never been viewed before.

Marla

Edited by makpjazz57

Other than that, I'm very much looking forward to the Dexter Gordon set with Kenny Drew and especially A.T. on drums - rare to find any video with Art Taylor.

Marla

Here are a couple of A.T. appearances with Johnny Griffin (with René Urtreger on piano and Alby Cullaz on bass):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKGe2xeupSU

from the same set. André Francis does the MCing:

Blues for Harvey

I have that set of Griffin with Urtreger, some 30 minutes I think, all in all - very nice!

As for Drew: just because you don't know Gruntz, don't diss him! He's a fine pianist and has in the late 60s founded his great Concert Jazz Band. He recently celebrated his 70th birthday and is still doing annual tours with his big band. The band always includes a number of great US players, in its rank have been guys like Ray Anderson, Marvin Stamm, Alex Sipiagin, Danny Gotlieb, Doug Purviance, Frank Lacy and many, many others. Anyway, he's a very good pianist in a small group setting as well. In 63 or 64 he also played for Kirk on an tour in Europe (some of those recordings are on the 32 Jazz 3CD set "Dog Years in the Fourth Ring").

I have that set of Griffin with Urtreger, some 30 minutes I think, all in all - very nice!

As for Drew: just because you don't know Gruntz, don't diss him! He's a fine pianist and has in the late 60s founded his great Concert Jazz Band. He recently celebrated his 70th birthday and is still doing annual tours with his big band. The band always includes a number of great US players, in its rank have been guys like Ray Anderson, Marvin Stamm, Alex Sipiagin, Danny Gotlieb, Doug Purviance, Frank Lacy and many, many others. Anyway, he's a very good pianist in a small group setting as well. In 63 or 64 he also played for Kirk on an tour in Europe (some of those recordings are on the 32 Jazz 3CD set "Dog Years in the Fourth Ring").

The George Gruntz Concert Jazz Band played at the Caravan of Dreams in Fort Worth years ago--it was a fine concert with a mix of European and American players--Enrico Rava and Lee Konitz were both in the band.

And me, too! It is a beauty, with Griffin and A.T. playing off each other. A great representation of both. I believe the date on my copy is 1971/France. My copy is in very good shape, but I still hope someday this one is released by Peck/Jazz Icons.

It is my hope that somehow, schools and colleges/universities have budget to purchase a set of both Jazz Icons series for their libraries.

Marla

• 1 month later...

SECOND SERIES OF JAZZ ICONS™ DVDS TO BE RELEASED!

NEW SERIES OF JAZZ ICONS™ DVDS FEATURES VINTAGE UNSEEN CONCERTS FEATURING JOHN COLTRANE, DAVE BRUBECK, DUKE ELLINGTON, SARAH VAUGHAN, DEXTER GORDON, WES MONTGOMERY, CHARLES MINGUS

"The release of Jazz Icons™ is like the unearthing of a musical time capsule-an audio-visual treasure trove of the music that changed the world. From an educational standpoint this series is a gift to our culture." - Quincy Jones

“This is like the discovery of a bonanza of previously unknown manuscripts of plays by William Shakespeare.” - Nat Hentoff, Wall Street Journal

The eagerly anticipated release of the second series of Jazz Icons™ DVDs is here. Reelin' In The Years Productions and Naxos are proud to announce the September 4, 2007 release of the next seven titles in the illustrious DVD series featuring performances by John Coltrane, Dave Brubeck, Duke Ellington, Sarah Vaughan, Dexter Gordon, Wes Montgomery, and Charles Mingus.

Filmed in Europe between 1958 and 1966, this set of Jazz Icons™ DVDs features concerts by seven of the most influential jazz artists of the 20th century captured in their prime and accompanied by some of the most legendary sidemen of the day. Previously forgotten or lost in the vaults of TV studios throughout Europe (in some cases for nearly 50 years!), they are now being made available for the first time.

The running time for the DVDs range from 60 to 120 minutes. All seven Jazz Icons™ titles will be sold separately and as a deluxe boxed set with a bonus eighth disc featuring additional rare, never-before-seen, performances.

The first series of Jazz Icons™ DVDs featuring classic vintage concerts by Thelonious Monk, Ella Fitzgerald, Louis Armstrong, Dizzy Gillespie, Quincy Jones, Count Basie, Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers, Buddy Rich, and Chet Baker, was released in September 2006 to universal critical acclaim, including feature stories in the Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, and Los Angeles Times, as well as reviews in The New York Times and USA Today (including their holiday gift guide.)

Each of the new Jazz Icons™ DVDs features one or more concerts filmed live in television studios and concert halls throughout Europe between 1958 and 1966, one of the most creative periods in jazz history. All seven DVDs feature performances that have never been officially released, and in many cases, the material is newly discovered and was never broadcast. In addition, every performance in the Jazz Icons™ DVD series has been transferred and re-mastered from the best-quality original masters yielding excellent sound and video.

Among the wealth of highlights in the second series of Jazz Icons™ DVDs:

o Three incredible John Coltrane concerts (filmed in 1960, 1961 and 1965) featuring over 90 minutes of music and including sideman appearances by several other jazz legends - Oscar Peterson, Stan Getz, McCoy Tyner, Eric Dolphy, and Elvin Jones. The 1960 concert, recorded in Germany with Miles Davis' band (sans Miles), features recently discovered performance footage that had been lost for over 45 years.

o Two historic Dave Brubeck concerts from 1964 and 1966 featuring the classic Quartet with Paul Desmond, Eugene Wright, and Joe Morello.

o An amazing 80-minute Duke Ellington big band concert from 1958 (the earliest known complete Ellington show on film) featuring Clark Terry, Johnny Hodges, and Ray Nance.

o Three never-before-seen Sarah Vaughan shows (two from 1958 and one from 1964) showcasing "The Divine One" in great voice.

o Three Wes Montgomery concerts from 1965 (a guitar-lovers dream) filmed in Holland, Belgium and England with liner notes by Pat Metheny and an afterword by Carlos Santana.

o Three Dexter Gordon concerts filmed in 1963 and 1964 in Holland, Belgium and Switzerland that highlight the Bebop (and beyond) legend's classic style and silky tone.

o Three exceptional concerts by Charles Mingus performed in April 1964 featuring the great Eric Dolphy on alto sax, flute and bass clarinet and recorded less than three months before Dolphy's death. Although the three concerts, recorded in Norway, Sweden and Belgium, are barely a week apart they showcase the band’s incredible diversity with each show featuring unique performances and arrangements.

Each DVD also includes a 24-page booklet with insightful and informative essays by noted jazz historians as well as previously unseen photos and memorabilia.

The second series of Jazz Icons™ DVDs will be unveiled at this year's Detroit Jazz Festival (August 31 - September 3). The series will be an integral part of the four-day festival, including performances from both Jazz Icons™ DVD series being broadcast on the Jumbotron screens during all set changes on the main stages. Total festival attendance is estimated at 750,000.

In addition, Reelin' In The Years Productions and Naxos are proud to announce their partnership with The International Association for Jazz Education™ to further increase jazz awareness in schools. Proceeds from each sale of second series DVDs will go to the IAJE's Campaign for Jazz, providing support for student scholarships, jazz advocacy, and teacher training. To quote IAJE Executive Director Bill McFarlin, "The value the Jazz Icons series brings to the music classroom is incalculable. This is American jazz history of the highest order, and an unprecedented opportunity to see and hear our jazz masters at the height of their creative genius. We are proud to be a partner in this remarkable program, and are committed to bringing it to a larger audience."

Reelin' In The Years Productions LLC is the world’s largest music footage library. Including the first nine DVDs in the Jazz Icons™ series, Reelin' In The Years Productions has produced over 30 DVDs including the four volume The American Folk Blues Festival 1962-1969 DVD series, released to universal critical acclaim, commercial success and numerous industry awards. Volume One was nominated for a GRAMMY® award in the category of "Best Long Form Music Video". 2006 saw the release of the certified-platinum The Temptations - Get Ready, The Definitive Performances 1965 – 1972 and the certified-gold Marvin Gaye - The Real Thing In Performance 1964 – 1981, the first official DVD anthologies of classic archival television performances by Motown artists. For further information, please visit www.reelinintheyears.com.

Since 1987, Naxos the World’s leading Classical Musical label has redefined how classical music is presented and marketed. The innovative strategy of recording exciting new Grammy nominated and Grammy winning repertoire with exceptional talent has enabled the label to develop one of the largest and fastest growing catalogues of unduplicated repertoire available anywhere-currently 5,500 active titles-with state-of-the-art sound and the consumer-friendly prices. Naxos of America is owned by the North American Classical Company, a wholly owned subsidiary of Naxos Global Distribution. For more information: www.naxos.com.

For press information/materials, product requests, and interviews contact:

Michael Bloom Media Relations; 323.258.6342 / MusicPR@earthlink.net

www.jazzicons.com

# # #

JAZZ ICONS: SARAH VAUGHAN LIVE IN ’58 & ‘64 (64 Minutes)

Sweden 7/9/58

Sometimes I'm Happy

Lover Man

September In The Rain

Mean To Me

Tenderly

If This Isn't Love

Personnel

Sarah Vaughan (Vocal)

Richard Davis (Bass)

Ronnell Bright (Piano)

Art Morgan (Drums)

Holland 7/6/58

Over The Rainbow

They All Laughed

Lover Man

Cherokee

Sometimes I’m Happy

Personnel

Sarah Vaughan (Vocal)

Richard Davis (Bass)

Ronnell Bright (Piano)

Art Morgan (Drums)

Sweden 1/10/64

I Feel Pretty

The More I See You

Baubles, Bangles And Beads

I've Got Rhythm

Misty

Honeysuckle Rose

Maria

Bill Bailey, Won't You Come Please Home

Personnel

Sarah Vaughan (Vocal)

Buster Williams (Bass)

Kirk Stuart (Piano)

George Hughes (Drums)

JAZZ ICONS: CHARLES MINGUS LIVE IN ’64 (120 Minutes)

Belgium 4/19/64

So Long Eric

Peggy's Blue Skylight

Personnel

Charles Mingus – Bass

Clifford Jordan – Tenorsax

Jaki Byard – Piano

Danny Richmond- Drums

Norway 4/12/64

So Long Eric

Orange Was The Color Of Her Dress, Then Blue Silk

Parkeriana

Take The “A” Train

Personnel

Charles Mingus – Bass

Johnny Coles – Trumpet

Jaki Byard – Piano

Danny Richmond- Drums

Sweden 4/13/64

So Long Eric

Personnel

Charles Mingus – Bass

Johnny Coles – Trumpet

Jaki Byard – Piano

Danny Richmond- Drums

JAZZ ICONS: JOHN COLTRANE LIVE IN ’60, ’61 & ’65 (95 Minutes)

Germany 3/28/60

Autumn Leaves

What’s New

Moonlight In Vermont

Hackensack

On Green Dolphin Street

Walkin’

The Theme

Personnel

Wynton Kelly (Piano)

Paul Chambers (Bass)

Jimmy Cobb (Drums)

Additional Personnel

on Hackensack

Oscar Peterson - Piano

on Moonlight In Vermont and Hackensack

Stan Getz – Tenor Sax

Germany 12/4/61

My Favorite Things

Ev'rytime We Say Goodbye

Impressions

Personnel

John Coltrane (Tenor and Soprano Sax)

Eric Dolphy (Alto Sax and Flute)

McCoy Tyner (Piano)

Reggie Workman (Bass)

Elvin Jones (Drums)

Belgium 8/1/65

Vigil

Naima

My Favorite Things

Personnel

John Coltrane (Tenor Sax and Soprano Sax)

McCoy Tyner (Piano)

Jimmy Garrison (Bass)

Elvin Jones (Drums)

JAZZ ICONS: WES MONTGOMERY LIVE IN ’65 (78 Minutes)

Holland 4/2/65

I Love Blues

Nica’s Dream

The End Of A Love Affair

Personnel

Wes Montgomery (Guitar)

Pim Jacobs (Piano)

Ruud Jacobs (Bass)

Han Bennink (Drums)

Belgium 4/4/65

Impressions

Twisted Blues

Here's That Rainy Day

Jingles

Boy Next Door

Personnel

Wes Montgomery (Guitar)

Arthur Harper (Bass)

Harold Mabern (Piano)

Jimmy Lovelace (Drums)

England 5/7/65

Four On Six

Full House

Here's That Rainy Day

Twisted Blues

West Coast Blues

Personnel

Wes Montgomery (Guitar)

Rick Laird (Bass)

Stan Tracey (Piano)

Jackie Dougan (Drums)

JAZZ ICONS: DEXTER GORDON LIVE IN ’63 & ’64 (69 Minutes)

Holland 7/29/64

A Night In Tunisia

What’s New

Blues Walk

Personnel

George Gruntz (Piano)

Guy Pedersen (Bass)

Daniel Humair (Drums)

Switzerland 11/17/63

Second Balcony Jump

You’ve Changed

Personnel

Kenny Drew – Piano

Gilbert "Bibi" Rovere - Bass

Art Taylor- Drums

Belgium 1/8/64

Lady Bird

Body And Soul

Personnel

George Gruntz (Piano)

Guy Pedersen (Bass)

Daniel Humair (Drums)

JAZZ ICONS: DAVE BRUBECK LIVE IN ’64 & ’66 (67 Minutes)

Belgium 10/10/64

St. Louis Blues

Koto Song

Three To Get Ready

In Your Own Sweet Way

Take Five

Personnel

Dave Brubeck – Piano

Paul Desmond - Alto Sax

Eugene Wright – Bass

Joe Morello- Drums

Germany 11/6/66

Take The A Train

Forty Days

I'm In A Dancing Mood

Koto Song

Take Five

Personnel

Dave Brubeck – Piano

Paul Desmond - Alto Sax

Eugene Wright – Bass

Joe Morello- Drums

JAZZ ICONS: DUKE ELLINGTON LIVE IN ’58 (80 Minutes)

Holland 11/2/58

Black And Tan Fantasy

Creole Love Call

The Mooch

Harlem Air Shaft

Sophisticated Lady

My Funny Valentine

Kinda Dukish

Rockin' In Rhythm

Mr. Gentle And Mr. Cool

Jack The Bear

You Better Know It

All Of Me

Things Ain't What They Used To Be

Hi-Fi-Fo-Fum

Sophisticated Lady

Do Nothing Til You Hear From Me

Don't You Know I Care

In A Sentimental Mood

Mood Indigo

I'm Beginning To See The Light

Caravan

I Got It Bad And That Ain't Good

It Don't Mean A Thing (If It Ain't Got That Swing)

(In A) Solitude

I Let A Song Go Out Of My Heart

Diminuendo In Blue And Crescendo In Blue

Personnel

Reeds:

Johnny Hodges (alto sax)                            

Russell Procope (alto sax, clarinet)                

Paul Gonsalves (tenor sax)                          

Jimmy Hamilton (tenor sax, clarinet)                

Harry Carney (baritone sax, clarinet, bass clarinet)

Trumpets:

Cat Anderson                                        

Harold "Shorty" Baker                               

Ray Nance (trumpet, violin, vocal)                  

Clark Terry                                         

Trombones:

Quentin Jackson                                     

John Sanders (valve trombone)                       

Britt Woodman                                       

Rhythm section

Duke Ellington (piano)

Jimmy Woode (bass)                                  

Sam Woodyard (drums)                                

Ozzie Bailey (vocal)

JAZZ ICONS BOX SET (Bonus Disc)

JOHN COLTRANE

Sweden 11/19/62

I Want To Talk About You

Personnel

McCoy Tyner (Piano)

Jimmy Garrison (Bass)

Elvin Jones (Drums)

DEXTER GORDON

Norway 7/30/64

I Want More

Personnel

Tete Montoliu (Piano)

Niels-Henning Orsted Pedersen (Bass)

Alex Riel (Drums)

DAVE BRUBECK

Finland 10/6/64

Unisphere

Personnel

Dave Brubeck – Piano

Paul Desmond - Alto Sax

Eugene Wright – Bass

Joe Morello- Drums

SARAH VAUGHAN

Sweden 10/30/67

The Shadow Of Your Smile

What Now My Love

I Had A Ball

Personnel

Sarah Vaughan (Vocal)

Bob James (Piano)

Herb Mickman (Bass)

Omar Clay (Drums)

• 2 months later...

The 1965 Coltrane performance is the real deal--the Quartet playing at an outdoor festival in full intensity. It opens with a Coltrane/Elvin Jones duet--even though recorded in August, it is cold in Belgium--Elvin is emitting waves of steam into the cold air--this piece becomes something resembling Vigil. Followed by a fabulous version of Naima, and finally a dynamic version of My Favorite Things, akin to the Newport version. Intense playing by McCoy; great shots of Jimmy Garrison. Incredible.

I picked up the Dexter Gordon. I couldn't be happier with the sound/video quality. The Jazz Icons series is top notch. I have the Art Blakey from the first series. I would really like to get more of these.

I love how the Dexter begins. A man walks into a bar... :)

The Coltrane, Ellington and Brubeck are terrific too (especially the first 2.) Were it not for having about 1/2 the Mingus on a Dolphy dvd I would have grabbed that (and I still might someday.) Top notch indeed, and as budget permits I plan on getting more.

Were it not for having about 1/2 the Mingus on a Dolphy dvd I would have grabbed that (and I still might someday.) Top notch indeed, and as budget permits I plan on getting more.

I have that Dolphy DVD, which I bought mainly for the Mingus half, so I hesitated to buy the Jazz Icons Mingus - but did it anyway. The new Mingus has much better video and audio than the earlier version. Plus, having the other two concerts on there makes it essential, IMO. You won't find any better Mingus on video anywhere - so far, anyway.

Now if I can only persuade them to put out a DVD of all the film shot by Tom Reichman at Lennie's On The Turnpike of Mingus, only a small percentage of which was used in the documentary, "Mingus." I know there's a lot more, because I was there that day.

Were it not for having about 1/2 the Mingus on a Dolphy dvd I would have grabbed that (and I still might someday.) Top notch indeed, and as budget permits I plan on getting more.

I have that Dolphy DVD, which I bought mainly for the Mingus half, so I hesitated to buy the Jazz Icons Mingus - but did it anyway. The new Mingus has much better video and audio than the earlier version. Plus, having the other two concerts on there makes it essential, IMO. You won't find any better Mingus on video anywhere - so far, anyway.

I suspected as much. I face the same problem with the Monk from the first series thanks to the Live At The Olympia bonus DVD, and I recall someone saying the Jazz Icons is also better quality. I'll be getting more from 1 & 2, and am starting to imagine what they may do next.

Now if I can only persuade them to put out a DVD of all the film shot by Tom Reichman at Lennie's On The Turnpike of Mingus, only a small percentage of which was used in the documentary, "Mingus." I know there's a lot more, because I was there that day.

Do you know if the additional film footage still exists? Did Reichman preserve the negative and the original audio tape? Aside from it's importance for the Mingus discography/videography, this is an important entry for John Gilmore as well.

Do you know if the additional film footage still exists? Did Reichman preserve the negative and the original audio tape? Aside from it's importance for the Mingus discography/videography, this is an important entry for John Gilmore as well.

I don't know if it exists but I intend to find out. Tom Reichman was a graduate student when he made that film in about '67, so that means he's probably in his 60's now, if he's still around. I can't imagine why he would get rid of it, although stranger things have happened. I'm going to try Googling him. Actually, I should probably just get in touch with Sue Mingus; I bet she knows where it is.

And yes, I was surprised that day when I walked into Lennie's and saw that John Gilmore was on tenor and Walter Bishop was on piano. At that time, I hadn't ever heard of them playing with Mingus. The music that day was outstanding, as you can tell from the excerpts in the film. I'd buy that in a second if it ever comes out as the complete day's gig (it was a Sunday afternoon, as I recall).

I ordered the box set from Amazon because I wanted the bonus disc with the Trane cut. I already owned a DVD called Wes Montgomery in Europe with the Belgium broadcast and what I presumed was the same London Concert. Figured I'd trade that one in, but I've discovered that the London concert on the older disc is a different one! From March 25th (they say) with the Maburn, Harper, Lovelace quartet.

BTW The Belgium concert looks much better on the Jazz Icon release.

I just ordered the Wes.

That's on my list as well. Please let us know your opinion.

Buy it. It's fantastic. As is the Coltrane.

thanks. it's on the wish list

Got it when I was in NYC last weekend. It is indeed fabulous and Pat Metheny's liner notes are great as well.