39 mosaic boxes for one bid

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure you'd pass the Milburn, Hall/Johnson/DeParis/Dickenson, Master Jazz Piano, Teagarden 50s, Chaloff, Otis Spann/Lightnin' Hopkins, Charles Brown, Kenton Holman/Russo, and the T-Bone my way, yes? ;)

The Otis Spann sides are incredible. I think that many members of this board would enjoy them. Spann's piano playing is just plain excellent piano playing.

I have enjoyed the Hall/Johnson/DeParis/Dickenson set a lot. It doesn't get much better for bluesy piano than James P. Johnson, in my opinion.

The Kenton/Holman/Russo set is outstanding, in my opinion. It features Holman and Russo as arrangers, and they are excellent, no matter what one thinks of Kenton.

The T Bone Walker is a great blues collection. If you don't like the best of blues, you won't like it.

I haven't heard the other boxes mentioned in your post.

Does anyone have a disco or a list of what's on the Kenton Holman/Russo? I assume much of it is on individually released CDs by now, but I never found complete info on the Mosaic anywhere...

As for the Hall/Johnson/DeParis/Dickenson, there's a 2CD that came out in the late 90s - I love that one and certainly would love having all of it!

@mikeweil, king ubu:

Did you read the fine (or rather, gross) print to the end, guys?

$225 surcharge for Paypal payers from outside the U.S.! :bad:

(Not to mention the $300 surcharge for Paypal payers from a credit card-based Paypal account)

And all this on account of fees allegedly charged by Paypal ...

What kind of suckers does this guy think the eBay bidders are?

Say what you may about the drawbacks of Paypal but the Papyal fee policy is nowhere like this.

C'mon guys, this kind of behavior is more than reason enough to avoid sellers like this like the plague! :angry::angry:

Big Beat Steve is right!

Most of the sets don't even seem to have been listened to. Some people are into Mosaic boxes for the investment.

They just don't give a damn about the musical importance of the Mosaics, they just hoard them away to make money out of them!

Let them go to hell :excited:

I did a little math, and this Mosaic lot consists of 218 CD's. Fifty-eight of these discs are from sets that are presently available, and at the old Mosaic price of $16 per CD. So, excluding shipping charges, it would cost you $928 to purchase these in-print sets directly from Mosaic. Subtract this amount from the current high bid of $2,225, and the current bid price for the 160 out-of-print CD's is $1,297, or just over $8.00 per CD.

So far, then, it is a bargain, but there are still over nine days to go.

I did a little math, and this Mosaic lot consists of 218 CD's. Fifty-eight of these discs are from sets that are presently available, and at the old Mosaic price of $16 per CD. So, excluding shipping charges, it would cost you $928 to purchase these in-print sets directly from Mosaic. Subtract this amount from the current high bid of $2,225, and the current bid price for the 160 out-of-print CD's is $1,297, or just over $8.00 per CD.

Don't forget the sellers' surcharges!

bary01, is this your auction?

Bary01 has a different eBay handle.

Thanks for the clarification.

I wanted to make sure before stating that I have seen the photos in the auction used on another auction. It was a while back but all of the pictures are the same. Since the seller has less than 100 posts in feedback it makes me wonder if they 1) reposted it because the sale of the first auction didn't through 2) are reposting because they think the auction will go higher 3) maybe cut and pasted the auction and could be scamming people.

None of these could be the case or relevant but seeing the same picture made me think about it.

No, I haven't forgotten. I certainly do not think that levying such surcharges is the best way to do business (especially for a high priced item such as this), but, then again, the seller could have easily limited the acceptable payment methods to money order and cashier's check only. I could be mistaken, but I believe that PayPal affords purchasers greater protection (even when effecting a money transfer from a PayPal balance) than could be obtained by sending a money order.

We shall see what happens, but auctions such as this one often seem to end at a winning bid price well below fair market value. Of course, if this auction attracts the interest of two bidders with deep pockets (and who cannot do math very well), then all bets are off!

Edited by Edward

No, I haven't forgotten. I certainly do not think that levying such surcharges is the best way to do business (especially for a high priced item such as this), but, then again, the seller could have easily limited the acceptable payment methods to money order and cashier's check only. I could be mistaken, but I believe that PayPal affords purchasers greater protection (even when effecting a money transfer from a PayPal balance) than could be obtained by sending a money order.

We shall see what happens, but auctions such as this one often seem to end at a winning bid price well below fair market value. Of course, if this auction attracts the interest of two bidders with deep pockets (and who cannot do math very well), then all bets are off!

Unless the auction is cancelled by eBay because of the surcharges...

Unless the auction is cancelled by eBay because of the surcharges...

Right! I have no idea what eBay's policies are in this regard.