39 mosaic boxes for one bid

I did a little math, and this Mosaic lot consists of 218 CD's. Fifty-eight of these discs are from sets that are presently available, and at the old Mosaic price of $16 per CD. So, excluding shipping charges, it would cost you $928 to purchase these in-print sets directly from Mosaic. Subtract this amount from the current high bid of $2,225, and the current bid price for the 160 out-of-print CD's is $1,297, or just over $8.00 per CD.

So far, then, it is a bargain, but there are still over nine days to go.

Don't forget the sellers' surcharges!

No, I haven't forgotten. I certainly do not think that levying such surcharges is the best way to do business (especially for a high priced item such as this), but, then again, the seller could have easily limited the acceptable payment methods to money order and cashier's check only. I could be mistaken, but I believe that PayPal affords purchasers greater protection (even when effecting a money transfer from a PayPal balance) than could be obtained by sending a money order.

We shall see what happens, but auctions such as this one often seem to end at a winning bid price well below fair market value. Of course, if this auction attracts the interest of two bidders with deep pockets (and who cannot do math very well), then all bets are off!

Unless the auction is cancelled by eBay because of the surcharges...

Right! I have no idea what eBay's policies are in this regard.

Some time ago I was watching a few auctions where the sellers explicitly stated in their descriptions they would charge the PayPal fee to the buyers; eBay cancelled the auctions.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big Beat Steve is right!

Most of the sets don't even seem to have been listened to. Some people are into Mosaic boxes for the investment.

They just don't give a damn about the musical importance of the Mosaics, they just hoard them away to make money out of them!

Let them go to hell :excited:

Well said.

Just a couple of sets in this list that I don't have, of the OOP ones (Millie and Spann).

I'll buy from Mosaic for the in-prints.

Edited by sidewinder

Since I got cancellations for two upcoming autumn/winter projects I'm out of the game.

And those surcharges .... maybe we should alert ebay to get a fairer deal the second time around.

There are a few sets I don't have in the batch:

Spann/Hopkins

Chaloff

Kenton

James P. Johnson

Tristano

Milburn

Brown

Atlantic New Orleans

etc.

but still ..... my wife would kill me, especially since we need a new car .....

Too bad...PayPal surcharges aren't legal.

You're suppose to absorb it in your pricing -

even if that means your starting bid is higher.

I don't expect he'll be up much longer.

PayPal surcharges aren't legal...mmmh, I saw a lot of this stuff on eBay.

Nor sure about it. Legally, if you write it down in a contract, almost any clause is legal. The payment's instructions are pretty clear. So when you bid, you subscribe the auction's term, including the surcharges.

It's not a case that a lot of serious sellers are moving from eBay to their own websites, or use eBay as a simple way of promotion.

Seller got the idea:

On Jun-11-07 at 15:57:34 PDT, seller added the following information:

07 06 11 Amendment:

A couple pf people have emailed me: surcharging PayPal fees to buyers in against ebay/PayPal rules. Thanks for the heads-up and apologies for this: had read-up on fees, etc., but didn't see that.

To legitimatize the auction please note these changes:

PAYMENT:

- NO surcharge for PayPal payments funded by Credit Card, Debit Card or Buyer Credit will be applied.

- NO surcharge for PayPal payments from buyers outside US will be applied.

SHIPPING:

- A $200 handling fee is applicable to shipments other than to the US.

Good luck! Christopher

Seller got the idea:

On Jun-11-07 at 15:57:34 PDT, seller added the following information:

07 06 11 Amendment:

A couple pf people have emailed me: surcharging PayPal fees to buyers in against ebay/PayPal rules. Thanks for the heads-up and apologies for this: had read-up on fees, etc., but didn't see that.

To legitimatize the auction please note these changes:

PAYMENT:

- NO surcharge for PayPal payments funded by Credit Card, Debit Card or Buyer Credit will be applied.

- NO surcharge for PayPal payments from buyers outside US will be applied.

SHIPPING:

- A $200 handling fee is applicable to shipments other than to the US.

Good luck! Christopher

So now instead of breaking the PayPal rules, he's breaking the rules for exorbitant shipping as a means to avoid fee payment. You can't do that either.

I bet this auction gets cancelled soon.

I don't think so ...

I don't think eBay would care enough about cancelling an auction set out under THESE terms. They want their fees.

What it boils down to is this:

IMHO any non-U.S. (or Canadian) bidder would have to fall into one of the following two categories

- Somebody foolish enough to be taken advantage of like this, or

- some Asian (mostly Japanese) who's got money to burn and just WANTS these items desperately enough to pay ANY amount for it (not rare on eBay)

I've seen inflated "handing" surcharges on foreign bids on other eBay items before (though they did seem VERY moderate compared to this) and have never bid on such items as a matter of principle (I am not going to use the term for such transactions that immediately comes to mind, but ... :D)). Anyway ... no extra waiting time required, for example, for filling in a customs form and having to queue up at a separate post office counter for mailing overseas shipments could warrant fees like this, and besides, and if the sellers don't want to go into this hassle (that's certainly not the buyer's fault) then they'd better mark their auctions "Domestic bidders only" right from the start (and forsake any higher foreign bids that might them yield even more money). ;)

Edited by Big Beat Steve

So now instead of breaking the PayPal rules, he's breaking the rules for exorbitant shipping as a means to avoid fee payment. You can't do that either.

I bet this auction gets cancelled soon.

I don't believe eBay will cancel this auction. I get the feeling collecting large fees is more important to them than a consistent policy...

If the shipping is for overseas (and that is probably where they will end up), $200 might be the right price. Airmail shipping has become expensive lately.

The $200 is a "handling fee", a surcharge on top of the actual overseas shipping cost.

Edited by J.A.W.

As I said before, I'm watching this one. It'll be interesting to see how high this goes, but I know I would generally be interested in so many of them (esp. the OOP ones) that it might be worth the investment. Re-selling the ones I generally don't enjoy wouldn't be too difficult, I would think, and depending on the final bid of this auction, could actually re-coup the investment (or at least a good chunk of it).

Quite frankly, this could easily be the deal of the year.

As I said before, I'm watching this one. It'll be interesting to see how high this goes, but I know I would generally be interested in so many of them (esp. the OOP ones) that it might be worth the investment. Re-selling the ones I generally don't enjoy wouldn't be too difficult, I would think, and depending on the final bid of this auction, could actually re-coup the investment (or at least a good chunk of it).

Let me know which ones you're selling if you win, Al ;)

Let me know which ones you're selling if you win, Al ;)

Well, I still have to ask my wife first! :g

Okay...here's my scheme....

"Barb, remember how much I got for those Mosaic sets I sold? Check this out; just think of the profit if I was to win this batch!! Of course, I might want to keep a couple...you know, just to replace some of the ones I miss. No more than half of 'em. Or two thirds at the most. Uh..."

oh, nevermind. :angry: