Sam Rivers: Streams

J Larsen

I would get his "Waves" on Tomato Records before I would get "Streams".

I don't play "Streams" that often--it's one of those albums I admire on occasion. With just the three musicians, it has a rather minimalist, hard edge to the sound, for me. It is no doubt an excellent album, and one that a Rivers fan would want to get at some point. With the problems in condition that you have mentioned, it might be just as well to wait.

• 7 years later...

Rivers%252C%2BSam%2B-%2BStreams.jpg

I was looking on eBay tonight for this title, and the one seller who currently has a copy ... used my review from Amazon for the disc's description. I guess that's a compliment. (I only have a digital copy of the album.) I wish this title had been in the 2011 SHM-CD UCCI Impulse! reissue series.

Is it too far-fetched to think a Rivers Trio Mosaic set could ever happen? The only thing I'd like more is a Lucky Thompson Mosaic.

FWIW, I increasingly look to discogs.com for used vinyl - particularly from the 1970s forward. You generally cannot see a picture of the cover, but prices are usually cheaper. Perhaps more of a European vs US reach, but I've good luck with US sellers.

Edited by Eric

In my experience buyer protection at eBay boils down to filing a PayPal claim. Pay the seller at Discogs with PayPal and you should be assured of the same (inadequate) protection, right?

Yep, in my (limited) experience, trying to get recompense from ebay/Paypal is like trying to get blood from a stone.... a complete waste of time. I NEVER buy anything from ebay that I can't afford to never receive or to throw away if it's not right. Luckily, most sellers are honest.....

To me Discogs has been a breath of fresh air after years on eBay. I buy CDs and no LPs of course, but there are a lot of honest sellers on Discogs and their prices are often very reasonable compared to eBay and Amazon third party. Look closely at feedback scores and comments, seek out private sellers for second hand items, and buy mint or near mint items only.

Edited by erwbol

I would get his "Waves" on Tomato Records before I would get "Streams".

I don't play "Streams" that often--it's one of those albums I admire on occasion. With just the three musicians, it has a rather minimalist, hard edge to the sound, for me. It is no doubt an excellent album, and one that a Rivers fan would want to get at some point. With the problems in condition that you have mentioned, it might be just as well to wait.

waves is rediculously good, get this first

Listening to Waves right now. It really is ridiculously good.

There's a Japanese K2 edition of Streams. Will eventually find it, but am good with digital files for now.

Oh — would love to see Paragon some day come out on compact disc. But a 1970-1978 (approx.) Rivers Mosaic big box would be ideal. Sigh.

Edited by Late

• 8 months later...

I remember 'Sizzle' on Impulse being real interesting, but I haven't heard it in 35 years, and it's not available on CD (to my knowledge).  I like 'Capricorn Rising', the one he did with Don Pullen on Black Saint.  

I have Sizzle on CDR from the go-go days of "free" downloads. It's good, I listen to it a few times a year.  Streams, while good, isn't suitable as $25 lust-for vinyl. I would suggest spending on blank CDRs that your "friends" could use to "lend" you "play" copies of some of the very good but rare and OOP sessions that Rivers released in the 20 years before his death e.g. - Configuration, Winter Garden, and Eight Day Journal.