TODD IS GODD!

Teasing the Korean

Though I never bought into the "Godd" assessment, Todd was one of my earliest musical obsessions (after Gilbert and Sullivan and Tom Lehrer, for what that's worth).

Born in 1961, I became a big Rundgren fan in high school, circa 1978, at the urging of a charismatic and talented guitarist, singer, and tennis player who was a year ahead of me. The current Todd album was The Hermit of Mink Hollow, and I have to admit that I fell for it, hard. I quickly acquired just about everything Rundgren had recorded, and continued to do so until about 1980. Whatever anyone thinks of the man today, Todd was then the proud possessor of some serious pop chops (just ask Sangrey... seriously!).

In what I have long referred to as my "Draconian" period -- when I sold most of my rock and pop vinyl to fuel my growing obsession with jazz in the mid-80s -- I divested myself of my Rundgren holdings, save for my original copy of Something/Anything?, which I still listened to on semi-annual occasion to re-live the thrilling days of shame and glory that were my late-'70s.

So, to answer your question, TtK, the other day, as I was cruising my local thrift store for bargains, I came upon a nearly mint-condition vinyl copy of The Hermit of Mink Hollow and I bought it.

So, yeah, my Todd-olatry flares up now and again...

But, seriously, just shoot me if you ever find me paying top-dollar for a first pressing of Utopia's RA .

f54269z3kre.jpg

This was the first one I heard, in fact the vinyl is probably somewhere in storage at my Grandmother's house. For the life of me I can't remember anything about it! I'll have to admit that I'm really not very familiar with Todd's music.

I think Todd has cranked out a lot of great songs over the years (great albums not so many). But he is very willing to experiment and has made a mark as a producer (XTC's Skylarking among others). He is much, much more than the handful of top 40 songs that he is known for.

One album that is a sentimental favorite (but is completely lost in the early 80s soundwise) is Healing, particulary the Healing suite.

One of my favorite all-time pop/rock songs is "Something to Fall Back On" from A Cappella (an album created entirely with his voice - synthesized and natural).

PS - Never been a big Utopia fan - they are pleasant enough, but hardly "special".

Edited by Eric

f54269z3kre.jpg

This was the first one I heard, in fact the vinyl is probably somewhere in storage at my Grandmother's house. For the life of me I can't remember anything about it! I'll have to admit that I'm really not very familiar with Todd's music.

Must not be very memorable, because I used to own it and can't recall a damn thing about it either, apart from the cover.

Used to be into Wizard, Something/Anything, and Hermit back when Reagan was first runing for president. Much more recently, I've gotten into a few Nazz songs, and wondered if it would be worth it to get one of the CD reprints of one of their albums, but haven't taken the plunge.

Used to be into Wizard, Something/Anything, and Hermit back when Reagan was first runing for president. Much more recently, I've gotten into a few Nazz songs, and wondered if it would be worth it to get one of the CD reprints of one of their albums, but haven't taken the plunge.

Nazz albums were very uneven. You may be better off with a "Best of."

Still like Todd very much. I worked a summer job delivering pianos many years ago with a guy who was a Todd freak. That's all we would listen to as we made our rounds. I can still here his voice now, "...screw Eric Clapton. Todd is God!" A lot of great Todd/Utopia already mentioned. Initiation is a greatly overlooked album in my opinion.

P.S. A lot of good Todd on youtube.

Nazz albums were very uneven. You may be better off with a "Best of."

My thought exactly.

Whatever anyone thinks of the man today, Todd was then the proud possessor of some serious pop chops (just ask Sangrey... seriously!). .

Far be it from me to assert any mantle of Pop Presidentiality here or otherwise, but yeah, I always thought the guy had pop skills/chops/whatever in abundance, to the point, in fact, that I wish he had spent more time producing pop records for others and less making prog-rock ones for himself.

I always thought the guy had pop skills/chops/whatever in abundance, to the point, in fact, that I wish he had spent more time producing pop records for others and less making prog-rock ones for himself.

Good point. I wish that had happened, too.

For what it's worth, I invoked your name above because I recalled a previous thread where you made that very assertion.

• 1 month later...
  • 14 years later...