Savoy compilations

Kyo

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 'Black California' and 'Black California Vol 2' are gems - Dolphy with Roy Porter etc. Proto-Mosaics before their time!

I got the first of these two sets the other day , like you say proto-mosaics. very nice, . Didn't realise there was a Volume 2 , I'll look out for it

Released in the US only Clunky - so any copy over here would be an import. Vol 1 was released in the UK as well as the US. I bought Vol 1 after one of the BBC Radio 2 jazz programmes ('Sounds of Jazz' I think) played one of the Roy Porter tracks with Dolphy.

All of the Lateefs by the way are excellent. Two of my favourites - 'Morning' and 'Gong'. :tup Both in great sound.

I have all the Lateef lps (not the reissue doubles) and have to agree, they're great.

I once posted some Savoy list, too - both of the Denon Savoys and covers of the digipack reissues above, don't know where it was but I think in that reissues thread about the Savoy/Denon CDs. Not sure there's something there that hasn't been covered here by now, though. Sorry I missed the beginning of this thread!

I once posted some Savoy list, too - both of the Denon Savoys and covers of the digipack reissues above, don't know where it was but I think in that reissues thread about the Savoy/Denon CDs. Not sure there's something there that hasn't been covered here by now, though. Sorry I missed the beginning of this thread!

Yeah, that was what inspired me to start this thread.

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php...st&p=623510

I knew the list wasn't complete (no Milt Jackson, for example),

so I started this thread to find more of those compilations. :)

Edited by Kyo

Yeah, it's a great idea to have it all in one place, and also in the correct forum! I was just too lazy to compare with my post, so I thought I'd remind you of it in case you have missed it.

The Hardbop Morgan/Mobley 2CD set seems to be a tough one to locate. How's the music? All I have is the "Jazz Message" album (mini LP with OBI, yup), the one with half a Mobley session and half a John La Porta one - escapes me why it's released as by Hank Mobley... even more so as the second half is actually better!

Wasn't that other Jazz Message session originally led by Kenny Clarke?

The band is the same that recorded Klook's Clique the same year.

The music on that set is good, but nothing earth-shattering. The annoying thing about it

is that for some reason the ballad medley was left off (otherwise it would've been a

complete compilation of both Jazz Message albums and Introducing Lee Morgan).

oh, i got many of these. found them very cheap in sale bins some years back. at the time i thought they had been deleted. some were cut out. i'll have to check at home if i have anything that's missing here. most of the ones i've seen here i have. i particularly love the Red Norvo sessions with Tal Farlow and also the Lester Young.

togehter with those i also got a series of 24 bit reissues with full albums from MIles Davis, Curtis Fuller, the Bird Roost live dates and others. I guess these were the newest of them all. from 2003 i think.

this whole reissue program (completes, albums and comps) ranging from around 1999 to i think 2003 is a bit of a mess. but the completes are great: well packaged, documented and remastered.

i wish i could lay my hands on some of the older ones, particularly the Black Californias (or better see them reissued), though there's also a good comp under the same title on French Universal label Saga.

i love Savoy as a label and would like to see it get a better reissue treatment. like on the Coltrane/Harden i have as mini LP or Art Pepper's Surf Ride or the Navarro Memorial i have on Columbia, i think.

this whole reissue program (completes, albums and comps) ranging from around 1999 to i think 2003 is a bit of a mess. but the completes are great: well packaged, documented and remastered.

Some of those compilations are a bit weird in terms of material included

(often incomplete sessions). There's one thing I really like about this

series though: The liner notes are usually excellent. :)

well, i meant a mess in terms of program design and of material inclusion and duplication/omission, not so much presentation. they seem to have worked in different successive waves, without a unifiying concept.

for instance they have a Timeless Art Pepper, which includes Surf Ride and another session, and which i suspect (never checked) gathers all of Peppers SAvoy output and which could have been packaged like the Completes. same goes for the Donald Byrd or the COltrane. unless of course i'm mistaken about their completeness. but then they could just have made them complete! maybe htey didn't want to release single disc completes, as something of a "contradiction in terms".

and to add to that they have some album reissues... it's like a mix of different temporary formulas. remastering standards are consistently high though, with that Paul Reid III sitting on his throne and wielding his scepter at his engineer-drones :D .

i checked at home and don't have anything to add to this list. i assume it's complete. i also have (and have seen) some other of the "black boxes" not mentioned here. but they were breakdowns of the Bird Complete Savoy and Dial (the first SAvoy box i got, long before that bin find, and one of my all time jazz faves), like one called Chasin the Bird (1CD) i once bought very cheap as a potential present for someone. and i think there are one or two more.

Japan released an excellent two cd set of the Pepper material. . . probably near impossible to find now.

and that would be, Surf Ride plus what else? the jazz composers workshop material?

or do you mean that Complete Surf Ride? because that covers the same tracks as my single disc Columbia edition, if i'm not mistaken. i'm curious.

well, i meant a mess in terms of program design and of material inclusion and duplication/omission, not so much presentation. they seem to have worked in different successive waves, without a unifiying concept.

for instance they have a Timeless Art Pepper, which includes Surf Ride and another session, and which i suspect (never checked) gathers all of Peppers SAvoy output and which could have been packaged like the Completes.

They have several "Timeless" releases, all of which (I think) lack some tracks

compared to the other compilations listed in this thread. In the case of the Art Pepper

set for example I really don't see what the point of yet another compilation was.

Red Norvo

sa31.jpg

Finally got this today. The trio sessions aside it also includes the four tunes from Red

Norvo's Dial session with his "Selected Sextet" and an alternate take for each of them -

to think I almost ordered the Red Norvo On Dial CD today before I noticed this! :D

• 3 weeks later...

for instance they have a Timeless Art Pepper, which includes Surf Ride and another session, and which i suspect (never checked) gathers all of Peppers SAvoy output and which could have been packaged like the Completes.

They have several "Timeless" releases, all of which (I think) lack some tracks

compared to the other compilations listed in this thread. In the case of the Art Pepper

set for example I really don't see what the point of yet another compilation was.

does the Mingus lack anything? (it adds a tune from late in the game, totally unrelated to the early Savoy dates)

@king ubu:

I have the Savoy twofer LP (which I guess includes the same material) - early to mid-50s trio setting with Vinnie Burke on bass and (I think) Joe Morello on drums (will have to look it up tonight at home).

As for recommending it, I bought most of my Savoy reissue double LP's when they came out or at Mole Jazz in London, i.e. at more or less standard prices, but never ever saw this one (or hardly any other reissues by Marian McPartland's early recordings) so I grabbed it when I saw it on the list from a shop in the States and never regretted the extra shipping expense. Swinging trio jazz that is always fascinating to listen to and very far from those cocktail piano trio recordings of that time that pretended to be jazz but were in fact easy listening.

Lovers of Cecil Taylor piano jazz will find it fairly conventional but if you like Jutta Hipp's "At the Hickory House" LP's on Blue Note you will like this one too.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

Thanks Steve - will put it on my huuuuuge list then... I love her Piano Jazz shows a lot, including her own playing both in duos and her adorable improvised portraits of her guests... haven't heard anything so early by her (except maybe a short appearance with husband Jimmy from the 50s)

• 5 months later...

Some earlier compilations that aren't part of either series:

Just found another one:

51P276K27EL._AA240_.jpg

And a large chunk of that one is material Savoy bought from United.

Oh, and the other material is another good example of Leo Parker sessions released under the name of a now better known sideman.

Not that I'm complaining, y'know :)

The two I've got from the twofer series are "The roots of Rock & Roll" and "Honkers & screamers" - 'bout what you'd expect of me, ain't it?

MG

• 1 year later...

The 'Black California' and 'Black California Vol 2' are gems - Dolphy with Roy Porter etc. Proto-Mosaics before their time!

I got the first of these two sets the other day , like you say proto-mosaics. very nice, . Didn't realise there was a Volume 2 , I'll look out for it

Released in the US only Clunky - so any copy over here would be an import. Vol 1 was released in the UK as well as the US. I bought Vol 1 after one of the BBC Radio 2 jazz programmes ('Sounds of Jazz' I think) played one of the Roy Porter tracks with Dolphy.

got Black California Vol 2 the other day, nice addition