Tom Harrell- Time's Mirror

B. Goren.

I'm quite familiar with Tom Harrell's recordings as a leader and I find this one as one of his best. Harrell leads here a big band which sounds like they have been playing together for years, but in fact they put together for just this session. Xavier Davis, who's sitting at the pianist chair, is doing an amazing job.

If you like the music and playing of Tom Harrell, dont miss this one.

d63277k12dx.jpg

Edited by B. Goren.

I'm quite familiar his Tom Harrell's recordings as a leader and I find this one as one of his best. Harrell leads here a big band which sounds like they have been playing together for years, but in fact they put together for just this session. Xavier Davis, who's sitting at the pianist chair, is doing an amazing job.

If you like the music and playing of Tom Harrell, don’t miss this one.

d63277k12dx.jpg

Actually I think we did a few gigs before we did this recording, maybe a week at Iridium (with Jon Faddis playing lead) and perhaps one other gig. Tom's big band writing is great, this was a fun, challenging date to make.

• 1 month later...

Bringing this back up again because I just got a copy and am knocked out by what I'm hearing. Have always respected Harrell as a player, without being overwhelmed by him, but his writing here is exceptional and quite personal -- great range of "colors," but Harrell doesn't wallow in the paint box; there's a strong rhythmic and harmonic drive to his writing, with a very attractive IMO touch of acidity in the latter realm. Also, Harrell is unafraid to use the sections of the band as unified sections when that suits his ear; some writers these days break things up so much, and/or in such a "bitty" manner, that one wonders (or at least I wonder) why 16 or so players were assembled in the first place. All the more impressive that some of the more adventurous charts and/or pieces here were written by Harrell in the early 1960s -- e.g. the dance of seven veils setting of "Dream." Also, it shows that, as David Weiss said, the band played several gigs before recording. Lovely, very together performances.