Paul's "Memory Almost Full" Debuts at No. 3!

Teasing the Korean

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone ever heard his "classical" music?

Hey - I hear "Helen Wheels" on the radio last week and it rocked like crazy.

Close enough. :g

(P.S. - anybody ever notice that McCartney never lost the abilty to, when push came to shove, "rock" really well in the good ol' "old fashioned" sense? Or that that he's the only one of the X-Fabs to seemingly have retained this primal skill?)

Anyone ever heard his "classical" music?

Hey - I hear "Helen Wheels" on the radio last week and it rocked like crazy.

Close enough. :g

(P.S. - anybody ever notice that McCartney never lost the abilty to, when push came to shove, "rock" really well in the good ol' "old fashioned" sense? Or that that he's the only one of the X-Fabs to seemingly have retained this primal skill?)

I like his post-Linda art therapy rock'n'roll record Run Devil Run as well or better than anything he did post Beatles.

And he certainly was an amazing bass player in the context of pop/rock. Even his bassline on the critically-reviled "Silly Love Songs" is actually quite nice.

Listening to Run Devil Run again.

Even better than I had recalled. In the wake of Linda's death, McCartney revisits the music of his youth with amazing fervor.

Sure as hell beats Lennon's Rock'n'Roll.

sucks LESS than his "pop" music of the last 35 fucking years... whatever that means to you. to edc it mostly means it was not aggressively offensive; if you can honestly care about this asswipe today, try those classical sides FIRST, you'll get more out of 'em (& he didn't achieve 'em alone, which is key.) (& uh... most lester bangs blows, the romantic Cult of Lester is propogated by rock writers who wanna be thought "significant" themselves... read real books & tho' Lester at his best still had flow, he's was just a fucked up, sincere, sometimes funny, often dopey dude... now a dead dude, like many many many others.)

I'm a Lester fan, but I agree emphatically that the cult of Bangs has gone way overboard.

The dude was a rock critic/Kerouac-wanabee...

He warn't no fuckin' Thoreau, that's for sure.

Not holding my breath for a Library of America edition of Bangs, though some celebrated second-raters like Chandler and Dick have made that grade.

tho' Lester at his best still had flow, he's was just a fucked up, sincere, sometimes funny, often dopey dude...

I don't always agree with you, Clem, but you fucking NAILED Lester here...

The thing that gets me about McCartney, as someone said before, is that when he's at his most catchy is when he's often also at his most annoying. That's certainly true solo and even occasionally during his Beatles days---"Hello Goodbye," "You're Mother Should Know," "Maxwell's Silver Hammer"...they're not just dismissable little ditties, but so pushily insistant that there's something almost, I don't know, hateful about them.

Wait. Are you saying that you don't revel in the sheer majesty of "Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey"?

Guess I cain't blame ya.

tho' Lester at his best still had flow, he's was just a fucked up, sincere, sometimes funny, often dopey dude...

"...often dopey..."

I don't know about the "cult of Lester," just that that piece on Lennon--written within a day of Lennon's death, when everybody else was waxing bathetic--got it right about the post-Beatle era (and I hear LB's sentiments echoed here by some of Org's sharpest posters, 25+ years later). As for Bangs overall, he was guilty of writing too much (& taking too much speed), but there are far worse literary crimes... when he was in a good groove, he was fantastic. I know Meltzer claims LB ripped him off, style-wise, but I've read both, and I get a lot more pleasure (& illumination) from Bangs. Far better than 98% of his peers, his imitators, or his descendants.

Take this as you will, but from what I've heard of the new McCartney, I'd have to say that it's more "honest" for where PM is in life right now than, say, the new Stooges CD ( :tdown ).

I don't think Lester would disagree w/Clem either. I don't think he wanted to be a saint... and I think that was part of the point in his piece about Lennon.

That Lester (bangs the shit outta his typewriter) was unafraid of being "dopey" is one of his most endearing qualities, IMHO. Same could be said of both John & Paul, in their decidedly different ways. I also love Run Devil Run, so yes I do think he can still rock in a decidedly old-fashioned way, but his grammy "Helter Skelter" was at least relatively modern..on the other hand he wometimes seems intent on exploring the connection between infectious (sonething you can't get outta yer head) and infection (something that just makes you sick).

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if John Lennon's murder has granted him some immunity to criticism.

Guy

Yep. Love the guy, but he did put out some crap and he probably would've put out much more of it had he lived (along with some gems, I'm sure).

There's an interesting interview/article with McCartney in the New Yorker (maybe a couple issues ago?) that I read yesterday. Love him or hate him, he's led a very intersting life. I like his music.

I have a soft-spot for this record, probably because my mom (RIP) listened to it endlessly when it first came out. I was five or six years old.

124176.jpg

She also listened to Double Fantasy all the time, so I have a soft spot for that one, too.