The Fontana Marte Röling Series

Late

This series has been mentioned before here, but I thought I'd create a dedicated topic for us to discuss the various records that Ms. Marte Röling's artwork graced.

Check out this site, with text written by our own Clifford Allen, and with a nod to Guy Kopelowicz as well.

If Universal had the foresight, they'd package these as some kind of set.

These are a favourite of mine. Have UK pressings of the NYAQ 'Mohawk', Brand 'Anatomy', Bley 'Touching' and Russell 'Outer View'. Also both of the Cursons - one on UK Fontana ('Tears') and the other on Japanese Fontana. Never seen the Levitt or Redman on either Dutch or UK Fontana though (suspect that these were 'Dutch only').

If Universal had the foresight, they'd package these as some kind of set.

Unfortunately, Universal owns very few (if any) of these.

True. Concord owns some, and whoever owns Arista/Freedom owns some. And the Taylor? Who knows who owns that. Great record, though.

I guess the records that were ever only on Fontana (neither licensed nor licensed out) would (still?) be under the Universal umbrella.

The main idea is — wouldn't this make a great box set? There are about three titles (from the list in that link) that I've yet to hear:

• The Dollar Brand — there's a Black Lion CD with the same title, but the tracks are quite a bit different than what the Fontana LP lists.

Consequences — I don't know if the same titles are on the Storyville Archie Shepp, but, if so, I have some of the tracks.

Blood. Haven't heard a note of it.

My favorites are Jazz Realities and Juba Lee. The latter should really be in-print; it feels that important.

True. Concord owns some, and whoever owns Arista/Freedom owns some. And the Taylor? Who knows who owns that. Great record, though.

I guess the records that were ever only on Fontana (neither licensed nor licensed out) would (still?) be under the Universal umbrella.

The main idea is — wouldn't this make a great box set? There are about three titles (from the list in that link) that I've yet to hear:

• The Dollar Brand — there's a Black Lion CD with the same title, but the tracks are quite a bit different than what the Fontana LP lists.

Consequences — I don't know if the same titles are on the Storyville Archie Shepp, but, if so, I have some of the tracks.

Blood. Haven't heard a note of it.

My favorites are Jazz Realities and Juba Lee. The latter should really be in-print; it feels that important.

Concord only "owns" the Russell and Levitt. Fontana licensed them to reissue in the series. The bulk of the material was owned by Alan Bates' labels, Black Lion and Freedom. Arista licensed some titles from Bates. Somehow Bates lost control of the masters to DA. The Storyville NYC5 recordings do not duplicate the recordings in question.

I probably shouldn't be saying this but I think I've mentioned before that many of these Fontana releases are currently available as CD-Rs from Downtown Music Gallery. DMG

Included are both 'Blood' by Paul Bley & 'Consequences' by the New York Contemporary Five. They appear to be copies of the set that came out in Japan some years ago and come with copied artwork of the Marte Roling covers etc.

This is such good music and almost impossible to find elsewhere.

• 7 years later...
  • 6 years later...