Monterey Jazz Fest releases

jazzbo

CDuniverse has the upcoming (end of July) releases on the new Monterey Jazz Fest label for Thelonious Monk, Miles Davis and Louis Armstrong up for preorder.

Details:

Monterey Jazz Festival Records is a stand-alone label in partnership with the Monterey Jazz Festival and Concord Music Group. The profits realized by the festival will be re-invested into its ongoing internationally recognized jazz education programs. The MJFR imprint's first five unreleased recordings, to be released on July 31, capture the crème de la crème of the jazz heritage: Louis Armstrong (caught playing the very first night of the festival in 1958); Miles Davis (introducing to the West Coast his classic '60s quintet, Herbie Hancock, Ron Carter and Tony Williams, featuring saxophonist George Coleman in 1963); Thelonious Monk (his quartet augmented by bassist Steve Swallow and an expanded five-piece festival workshop in 1964)

http://www.montereyjazzfestival.org/media/042307.html

MJF Snubs Cal Tjader

Unless I am mistaken. MJF has completely forgotten my father and his association with Jimmy Lyons and the MJF's new 50th book, "The Art of Jazz: Monterey Jazz Festival / 50 Years"

Somebody, PLEASE correct me, but I cannot find even one mention of his name in connection with this 50 year annivesary book, which to me and my family and especially my Dad, is a total snub to all of his efforts to put the MJF on the Map.

Rob Tjader

• 1 month later...

here are some details:

00888072303522.jpg

[01.] Introduction by Dizzy Gillespie

artist: Louis Armstrong 0:26

[02.] When It's Sleepy Time Down South

artist: Louis Armstrong 2:57

[03.] Autumn Leaves

artist: Miles Davis Quintet 11:24

[04.] Why Should I Care?

artist: Diana Krall 5:12

[05.] Rhythm A Ning [edited]

artist: Thelonious Monk 8:16

[06.] S..K. Blues

artist: Jimmy Witherspoon 3:18

[07.] Some Day My Prince Will Come

artist: The Dave Brubeck Quartet 5:23

[08.] Change Of Heart

artist: Pat Metheny 8:01

[09.] And I Love Him

artist: Sarah Vaughan 4:32

[10.] Isotope

artist: Joe Henderson 8:22

[11.] Poor Joe

artist: Dizzy Gillespie Sextet 4:32

00888072303119.jpg

[01.] Introduction by Dizzy Gillespie 0:26

[02.] When It's Sleepy Time Down South 2:57

[03.] (Back Home Again In) Indiana 3:50

[04.] Blueberry Hill 3:36

[05.] Tiger Rag 2:20

[06.] Now You Has Jazz 5:09

[07.] High Society Calypso 3:47

[08.] Bucket's Got A Hole In It 4:17

[09.] Perdido 4:48

[10.] Autumn Leaves 2:28

[11.] After You've Gone 4:18

[12.] These Foolish Things 7:32

[13.] Mack The Knife 3:23

[14.] Stompin' At The Savoy 6:23

[15.] Undecided 2:57

[16.] St. Louis Blues 6:26

[17.] That's My Desire 4:36

[18.] When The Saints Go Marching In 4:46

00888072303126.jpg

[01.] Blue Monk 10:39

[02.] Evidence 10:04

[03.] Bright Mississippi 9:36

[04.] Rhythm A Ning 8:43

[05.] Think Of One 9:00

[06.] Straight No Chaser 11:03

0888072303379.jpg

[01.] Introduction 0:54

[02.] Trinidad, Goodbye 9:01

[03.] The Day After 5:05

[04.] Poor Joe 4:32

[05.] Dizzy's Comedy Sketch 4:49

[06.] A Night In Tunisia 10:46

[07.] Band Introduction 0:54

[08.] Ungawa 11:27

[09.] Chega De Saudade (No More Blues) 1:50

00888072303102.jpg

[01.] Waiting for Miles 0:41

[02.] Autumn Leaves 11:24

[03.] So What 11:20

[04.] Stella By Starlight 14:35

[05.] Walkin' 12:48

[06.] The Theme 1:16

0888072303515.jpg

[01.] Introduction by Norman Granz 0:36

[02.] I Remember You 5:01

[03.] The Lamp Is Low 1:48

[04.] 'Round Midnight 5:25

[05.] There Will Never Be Another You 1:39

[06.] And I Love Him 4:32

[07.] Scattin' The Blues 5:00

[08.] Tenderly 2:58

[09.] All-Stars Introduction 1:18

[10.] A Monterey Jam 14:35

[11.] A Monterey Jam (encore) 1:33

Today's e-mail.

--------------------------------------------------

Introducing Monterey Jazz Festival Records!

http://www.mjfrecords.org/promos/

Monterey Jazz Festival Records is a not-for-profit indie label under

the umbrella of the legendary Monterey Jazz Festival and in

partnership with Concord Music Group. All of the MJFR releases are truly

unique: incredibly rare live performances by legends such as Miles Davis,

Thelonious Monk, Dizzy Gillespie, Louis Armstrong, Sarah Vaughan,

Diana Krall, Joe Henderson, Dave Brubeck, and more. MJFs profits from

these CDs go towards their year-round jazz education programs.

Monterey Jazz Festival Records will open its vaults on August 21st,

one month before the 50th Anniversary of the glorious Monterey Jazz

Festival. When we say 'vaults', we mean it: it's the first time that

these never-before-heard (unless you were there!), priceless recordings

will be released commercially. Hundreds of amazing artists have

poured their souls out on the stage at Monterey these past 50 years and

this is just the beginning. We are sure that you will enjoy these

albums as much as we did while working on them.

Visit http://www.mjfrecords.org/promos/ to learn more!

----------------------------------------------------

Looks like some of these are included in the J&R sale, though I didn't see them all.

I sincerely hope they will do a Cal Tjader CD some day soon. Cal's contribution to get the festival going was substantial: The CD now billed Monterey Concerts was actually a preview performance at Carmel to get the upcoming festival some attention, and it worked!

Please take not of a plea by Cal's daughter posted on the Cal Tjader Forum.

Dear Rudy,

I'm Elizabeth Tjader, Cal's daughter, the one for whom "LizAnne" was written.

I appreciate all your hard work and time evidenced through this website. You've gone to great lengths to inform and educate fans of my dad's contributions to the Latin Jazz world. Thank you most sincerely. I'd like to ask you a favor, please. Unlike your obvious appreciation and reverence for my father, the Monterey Jazz Festival on the other hand has totally forgotten him. This September the MJF celebrates 50 years of concerts with all kinds of tributes and artists lined up...there is not one reference, mention, thank you or acknowledgment of my dad's participation in the conception and continuation of that festival. They've failed to remember all the years he participated professionally; his personal connection to the Monterey Jazz Festival with Jimmy Lyons, and his musical legacy pertaining to the Latin Jazz evening. I've weighed whether it's appropriate for me to comment on this because I'm his daughter, but after discussing it with many other musicians, it's completely in line and very appropriate. I'm asking amicably and civilly for any fan of my father's to write the Monterey Jazz Festival and express their sadness and disappointment in forgetting to remember him and his participation. Just one paragraph, one name mention, even one quick acknowledgement of his memory is all I'm asking for.

That's all. I'm very, very grateful for your hard work and interest in my dad and to everyone who still demonstrates interest in his music. I know he'd be very grateful to you, Rudy. Thank you very much.

Elizabeth Tjader

• 2 weeks later...

Don't mean to sidetrack, but I have a Monk 2 CD set on Storyville with performances from Monterey - Sept. 21 and 22, 1963.

No info given except the dates and the musicians - Monk's 1963 quartet - Rouse, Orr, and Dunlop. Good music, decent sound (stereo), and the back insert says "issued by arrangement with the estate of Thelonious Monk". Any ideas of how this came to be?

Edited by paul secor

I don't know how that came to be. I have that one too. Glorious. I also know that this has been released as two separate cds (I think that's correct, Vol. 1 and Vol. 2) by Mobile Fidelity Lab. . . (though I never bothered to pony up the large dollars for those).

I'll buy any Monk with Frank Dunlop. (Okay, I'll buy any Monk, but especially with Dunlop, my favorite Monk drummer.)

Edited by jazzbo

It's only "off," as far as I'm concerned, in terms of Armstrong's trumpet playing. Once you listen to "Indiana" and the trumpet solo isn't there, that's a true sign that even Pops knew his chops were down (though I'm sure most trumpet players would kill to have an "off" night like that). However, the rest of the band sounds great (Peanuts Hucko plays over his head), the sound is indeed wonderful, Pops sings beautifully and yes, there is a very fun atmosphere to the disc (especially with the alligator story leading into "Bucket's Got a Hole In It"....sounds like a party!). Definitely an entertaining evening with the All Stars and any die-hard Armstrong fan will love it but his chops are down and it's tough to hear him struggle. As I wrote on my blog, if you really want to hear Pops blow in 1958, there's a disc on the Sterling label produced by Joe Showler and I don't think it's available in stores. It's a date from Canada from May 58 (one of Ed Hall's last nights with the band and very early in Danny Barcelona's tenure) and Pops is just plain incredible, even fielding a request for "Long Gone" from the W.C. Handy album and topping the original studio version. I ordered mine at worldsrecords.com (the title is "Live, North Bay Ontario"). But any and all Pops is well-worth celebrating, including the Monterey set.

Ricky

dippermouth.blogspot.com

I don't know how that came to be. I have that one too. Glorious. I also know that this has been released as two separate cds (I think that's correct, Vol. 1 and Vol. 2) by Mobile Fidelity Lab. . . (though I never bothered to pony up the large dollars for those).

I'll buy any Monk with Frank Dunlop. (Okay, I'll buy any Monk, but especially with Dunlop, my favorite Monk drummer.)

I have the 2 on Mobile Fidelity. They are from the 1963 Monterey Jazz Festival, while the new one volume CD just released is from the 1964 Monterey Jazz Festival. Also compared the tune titles and times. A completely different session.

anyone have any comments on these releases: music and sound quality?

I just got the Miles and I really like it!

I think the recording quality is excellent, as is the performance! A worthy addition to the Miles collection. AFAIC it gets a strong recommendation. Haven't heard the others yet, but I'll probably cave, especially since Borders has 'em for ten bucks a pop. :rsmile:

I have the 2 on Mobile Fidelity. They are from the 1963 Monterey Jazz Festival, while the new one volume CD just released is from the 1964 Monterey Jazz Festival. Also compared the tune titles and times. A completely different session.

Right. I didn't realize anyone was inferring that the two volumes were from 1963. Missed that in the post above.

Edited by jazzbo