Guilty pleasure - Uriah Heep

dutchmanx

I'll bite. Not a huge fan, but I enjoy listening to them from time to time...and I've had some friends that were major fanatics. You have to give them their due in inspiring bands like Iron Maiden, etc.

You can't really go wrong with the debut album, Demons & Wizards, The Magician's Birthday, Look At Yourself, etc.

My fave tracks are Gypsy and Stealin' (which someone should cover, great tune).

Yeah, the lyrics are pretty campy at times...I've often wondered how much of their thing was tongue in cheek? But here's the thing...

Take a track like Gypsy from their debut. You can blueprint the ENTIRE 70's - 80's European Metal scene in that one fucking song. Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Rainbow, etc. While on the surface...yeah, it's pretty damn silly...but there's something very interesting going on underneath.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I nearly bought 'Look at Yourself' when it came out (c.1970/71?) - I recall hearing the title track on the radio. Is there a manic organ solo in the middle? I was really into manic organ solos at the time (Jon Lord, Emerson, Vinvent Crane etc). [but what 15 year old boy isn't!!!!!!!!] Might have to check Spotify to see if my memory is correct.

Shortly afterwards I learnt from the NME that Uriah Heep were not cool and so never bought any of their records (traded in my Deep Purples and ELPs too!). Got my organ fix from Caravan, Soft Machine and Hatfield and the North instead. Oh, the power of the fashion police.

I like Uriah Heep too. My favorites are "Demons & Wizards" and "The Magician's Birthday." I also have "The Ultimate Collection"(2-disc best of). I first became interested in UH when I read about them in the liner notes to a Deep Purple remaster. UH also remind me at times of early Yes.

• 1 year later...

how is it that i am just discovering Lucifer's Friend?!!!

:excited:

thumbs_up.gif

I love Lucifer's Friend. Fantastic stuff and defies basically all categories since they change styles on almost every album. When you are a "studio-only" band, you can do things like that.

Take a track like Gypsy from their debut. You can blueprint the ENTIRE 70's - 80's European Metal scene in that one fucking song. Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Rainbow, etc.

Rainbow? Are you saying that Uriah Heep was a blueprint for Richie Blackmore? I am not sure he would agree with that.

Blackmore's writing style changed once Rainbow started, the style he moved into is similar to what Heep was doing a few years earlier. Going from writing for Ian Gillan to writing for Ronnie James Dio probably had something to do with that as well.