Quincy Jones boxed set coming.!!!

Well, ya' know, the guy was a good arranger and all, but other than the side w/Mingus LT et al, and maybe that Impulse! side, I don't really know that there's anything there other than "good arrangements well played", which is all well and good, but hell, this ain't Oliver Nelson we're talking about...

I'd be more excited by an Argo/Cadet box of any of the following - Ahmad Jamal, James Moody, or a compilation of sorts by Barry Harris, Richard Evans, Kenny Burrell, John Young, Chubby Jackson, etc., something thematic that could fit a bunch of different sessions that have not seen the light of cd (in the US).

Edited by Stefan Wood

Not to hijack the thread, but I would love to see a Muse set featruing Junior Cook, Bill Hardman, Mickey Tucker and Walter Bishop Jr. There are maybe 10 lps from these artists and a lot of sharing of personnel. I have it all on lp - great stuff!!

Well, ya' know, the guy was a good arranger and all, but other than the side w/Mingus LT et al, and maybe that Impulse! side, I don't really know that there's anything there other than "good arrangements well played", which is all well and good, but hell, this ain't Oliver Nelson we're talking about...

I think many of his 60s soundtracks rank up there with Lalo, Oliver, etc., but they're not part of this box.

I think many of his 60s soundtracks rank up there with Lalo, Oliver, etc., but they're not part of this box.

"In the heat of the night" is certainly a great S/T. Never bought the record, though, so I don't know how it stands up away from Rod Steiger (and that other fellow).

MG

• 4 weeks later...

The Ruby Braff 'Hi-Fi Salute to Bunny' album was already reissued in 1994 by RCA/BMG Germany with the additional bonus track 'Did I Remember' on the CD.

I'll skip that one. But will be looking for the Quincy Jones set. By the way, Roland Kirk is featured on the soundtrack of 'In the Heat of the Night'.