Dark Film Noir Jazz

ninety

In the spooky, but Twin Peaxy mode, you might check in on Barry Adamson. I'd certainly sample first but there is great stuff underneath some, at times, pretty lame voice-overs. When he gets into a groove without any monkey business it's just beautiful. (Of course my caveat here is that I've passed on all the Adamsons I had ways back.)

As for perfectly noir, but probably never find-able, would be Ran Blake's "Vertigo". He does some wonderful things with Hermann's various scores and more. I believe he may also have more spooky stuff among his other releases (tips?). His essential duets with Jeanne Lee are perfectly dark.

John Lurie's misc sound-tracky works might also help. While "Down by Law" is not necessarily haunted it has that Lynch-y feel. Even some of that "freshly-squeezed-audrey" finger-poppin' swank thrown in.

Then there's that modern cool smokey spoken drivel that Patrica Barber puts out. It does give me the willies so maybe that's spooky, too.

Good start-up thread here.

Haven't heard this one but how about...

mental_cruelty250.jpg

Mental Cruelty (The 1960 Jazz Soundtrack)

In 1960, an astonishing jazz ensemble was convened by Swiss pianist George Gruntz to create a soundtrack for the Hannes Schmidhauser film MENTAL CRUELTY. The group included bebop innovator Kenny "Klook" Clarke on drums and Belgian saxophonist Barney Wilen, two of the most swinging and sensitive musicians on the planet.

Though the dark, lyrical, mysterious soundtrack was initially released on a 10-inch EP, legal difficulties led to its being recalled, and the few copies that were sold became incredibly valuable collectors items. Now, for the first time, the session is issued in its full glory, including several previously unreleased tracks.

Atavistic

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Then there's that modern cool smokey spoken drivel that Patrica Barber puts out.  It does give me the willies so maybe that's spooky, too.

Anything but drivel if you really listen to it. Patricia Barber is producing some of the most interesting and original vocal jazz around. I highly recommend all of her Blue Note releases.

I can't recommend the Mental Cruelty soundtrack highly enough. I got it as a result of this thread a year ago and find it really haunting--fugue-like, as soundtracks can sometimes be, with their returning variations on a main theme. Some very good Barney Wilen and Klook.

Henry Mancini's music for Orson Welles 'Touch of Evil'. It's noir. It's cool. It's Mancini's best film score.

Just found this used last week. Brownie's right on... Courtesy of King Ubu, I became aware of another thread devoted to Leith Stevens' JAZZ THEMES FOR COPS AND ROBBERS, which includes Stevens' score for the noir film Private Hell 36. Sounds like it's definitely worth checking out... I just finished taping a program about Stevens, Shorty Rogers, and THE WILD ONE, and am hoping to track down the music Stevens did for a film called Crashout.