Gary Burton

Jazz Kat

DANG! You can find just about everything on this here internets!

To Simon's chagrin, I actually found the cover and a page

from that exercise book that I couldn't remember the name of earlier.

It seems that it's the 2 mallet version, so I can't remember what

the 4 mallet books were that I had, but anyways....

062307.jpg062308.jpg

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the record, I don't feel like I know shit about music. I'm basically in the dark with a flashlight... that isn't going to stop me from trying to learn. I feel like this is a lifelong process and I'm in no hurry.

Regardless, one of Burton's innovations IS technique, whether you care or not.

JazzKatt, ease up. Lots of knowing musicians on this board, many of whom have been playing their instruments for multiple decades. When you say that your style is somewhere between Milt Jackson and ANYBODY, you are making a bold statement. We all know you just bought a vibraphone, which is fantastic.

The vibraphone is just not an instrument that any person could play at three years old. It is physically impossible, unless you were already five feet tall.

Try a little modesty. And self-control.

For the record, I don't feel like I know shit about music. I'm basically in the dark with a flashlight... that isn't going to stop me from trying to learn. I feel like this is a lifelong process and I'm in no hurry.

JazzKatt, ease up. Lots of knowing musicians on this board, many of whom have been playing their instruments for multiple decades. When you say that your style is somewhere between Milt Jackson and ANYBODY, you are making a bold statement. We all know you just bought a vibraphone, which is fantastic.

The vibraphone is just not an instrument that any person could play at three years old. It is physically impossible, unless you were already five feet tall.

I never had a real vibraphone until recently. But when I was real little, I had this bell kit, and progressively as I got older, I moved up in quality of instruments. Xylophone, student marimba, etc. I would listen and play back on those piece of shit instruments, and when I went to music stores to play the real thing, it came natural to me, and many people were surprised at what I could play. I'm no ego-maniac, believe me. It's just when someone makes a comment like 7/4 did, (like he and many others on this board do often) that implies, that the vibraphone is a new thing to me, it just gets me upset. Because I've been so close to the instrument for about 90% of my life. It's personal. I'm sorry for "shouting" but it just got me mad, and quite frankily, I'm fed up with the stupid ass, meaningless negative comments directed at me.

I never had a real vibraphone until recently. But when I was real little, I had this bell kit, and progressively as I got older, I moved up in quality of instruments. Xylophone, student marimba, etc. I would listen and play back on those piece of shit instruments, and when I went to music stores to play the real thing, it came natural to me, and many people were surprised at what I could play. I'm no ego-maniac, believe me. It's just when someone makes a comment like 7/4 did, (like he and many others on this board do often) that implies, that the vibraphone is a new thing to me, it just gets me upset. Because I've been so close to the instrument for about 90% of my life. It's personal. I'm sorry for "shouting" but it just got me mad, and quite frankily, I'm fed up with the stupid ass, meaningless negative comments directed at me.

Don't sweat it. Just keep playing your music. Remember, this is just an internet chat forum.

We only "know" what we read here.

How did you like those Locke vids?

I've seen them a while ago. They're very nice. Locke is such a great vibraphonist. I almost went to go see him at this hotel called the Kitano. Joe Labarbera was on drums. My friend was supposed to go with me, but he cancelled. (he also had the car)

Under no circumstances is it an act of graciousness to interrupt a conversation of "shop talk" between two or more practitioneers of the craft and whine to them that you don't care about what they're talking about and that you don't think it's important....

Well, if you actually go back and look the "shop talk" was started by impossible in response to post of mine. So I felt justified in responding, as it were, to that response. What set me off was the use of that word "important". I had said that Burton was historically important as a progenitor of fusion, impossible came back with he was very important as a technical innovator on vibes.

Behind that was a general view that the technical is over-valued in Jazz and a general feeling that people beat you over the head with their technical knowledge rather than use it to enhance your enjoyment of the material. You use the word graciousness, which hints at the kind of religious significance technique has in Jazz - and I think indicates it is being overvalued.

Mastery of technique leads to craft. There's a difference between a craftsman and a priest.

Or an artist.

Simon Weil

BTW, I first encountered him here:

61AZW0522SL._AA240_.gif

Man, that's a great album. I just got the CD last Winter.

Agreed!

And another one that goes very nicely with it and has a very early "crossover" line-up (before this term existed at all) is

AFTER THE RIOT AT NEWPORT by THE NASHVILLE ALL STARTS

on RCA LPM-2302 (reissued on Bear Family)

As for the rest, as I never really liked fusion (fusion was all the rage in jazz when I got into jazz in the 70s and sort of crowded out all the "straight-ahead blowing" rest, leaving you kind of dizzy, wondering what jazz in some people's minds was supposed to be about after all ;) ;) ) I never felt any urge to get into G.B.'s "later" work. ;) My loss, maybe, but there is soooo much jazz to listen to anyway.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

i've loved this since it came out.

GARY BURTON - SEVEN SONGS for QUARTET & CHAMBER ORCHESTRA: Music by MICHAEL GIBBS.

Vinyl LP. ECM Records 1040. Stereo. COVER: VG+ to VG++ some edge & ring wear. VINYL: VG++ to NM- plays great.

Featuring GARY BURTON, Steve Swallow, Michael Goodrick, Ted Seibs, NDR Symphony Orchestra of Hamburg conducted by Michael Gibbs. 1974.

NOCTURNE VULGAIRE / ARISE HER EYES

THROB

BY WAY OF A PREFACE

PHASES

THE RAIN BEFORE IT FALLS

THREE

Edited by alocispepraluger102

Recently picked up a CD by the best jazz accordionist on the planet, Richard Galliano, that consists of a quartet collaboration featuring Burton. As GB has worked with and played the music of Piazzolla, the CD features 5 compositions by the Argentine master. Worth checking out:

61LY4TqFhNL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Thanks for the recommendation. I saw Galliano & Burton live 3 years back in Grenoble. Really enjoyed the Piazzolas tunes but did not know about the album.

• 4 years later...

I would be interested to read Burton's autobiography... might have to see if my local library has a copy...

Doesn't look like it's been discussed here so FWIW: Burton has been releasing some top notch stuff in the last few years. Hot House with Chick Corea is quite possibly my favourite album from the duo. The two albums he's recorded with Scott Colley, Julian Lage and Antonio Sanchez, Common Ground and Guided Tour, are both fantastic, IMO.