Gary Burton

Jazz Kat

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just saw this on Amazon; no release date listed.

41mnkXH5h2L.jpg

Amazon

I've read some of the book in an uncorrected advance proof and what I've gone through is excellent. Candid, entertaining and detailed stories, self-aware, readable. We don't have a lot of first-hand documents like this of players of his generation, and, needless to say, his homosexuality creates a personal arc in the narrative that's unique among jazz autobiography. (FWIW, I did find an error in dates related to an all-star tour with with Cedar Walton, Joe Henderson, Roy Haynes and others that in the way Gary writes about it suggests it happened in the early 80s but which in fact had to have taken place a decade earlierr given evidence like bootleg recordings. I sent a note the publisher and a few days later received a nice note back from Gary thanking me for the correction and for pointing out a bootleg that he was not aware of. He said the book was already at the printers but they'd fix in the next printing.)

Back in post #35 I wrote "I have a 1971 live-in-Tokyo album that was only issued in Japan (and Canada!) that has some good stuff, too -- Sam Brown's on guitar, with Tony Levin on bass." It has been quite a rarity, but no more!

Organissimo member Tony Reif informed me that it's just been released as a CD in Japan, so I've ordered it (Atlantic WPR-27379) and await its arrival.

I wrote the English liner notes for the Canadian issue, but I doubt that they'll use them, if they're even aware that they exist. I'll have to figure a way to get the Japanese notes translated.

Back in post #35 I wrote "I have a 1971 live-in-Tokyo album that was only issued in Japan (and Canada!) that has some good stuff, too -- Sam Brown's on guitar, with Tony Levin on bass." It has been quite a rarity, but no more!

Organissimo member Tony Reif informed me that it's just been released as a CD in Japan, so I've ordered it (Atlantic WPR-27379) and await its arrival.

I wrote the English liner notes for the Canadian issue, but I doubt that they'll use them, if they're even aware that they exist. I'll have to figure a way to get the Japanese notes translated.

Is it this one?

41J5eQTvBEL.jpg

Is it this one?

41J5eQTvBEL.jpg

Yes.

• 1 month later...

I caught the late set of his quartet in Pittsburgh on Saturday. I had only previously seen him with the Mack Avenue SuperBand. Although I've seen Julian Lage with his own group and Antonio Sanchez with Pat Metheny, it was my first time seeing Scott Colley. It is was an amazing concert. Some of the highlights for me were: Gary's long solo introduction to Keith Jarrett's 'In Your Quiet Place'; their take on Sanchez's tricky 'Caminos', which the group pulled off flawlessly, despite Burton's warning beforehand that they were still working out the kinks; and, the curiously titled Burton piece, 'Jane Fonda Called Again', the title of which Burton didn't explain. Burton shows no signs of slowing down, with his creative playing and appearance belying his age.

My wife, who worked third shift the night before and wasn't enthusiastic about making the trip to Pittsburgh, loved it. Listening to Generations, Lage's recorded debut with Burton from 2004, he's really grown immensely. It's hard to believe that he is only 25, and I can't wait to see how he progresses. Sanchez really impressed me; he is a sensitive drummer of intense focus and his time-feel is remarkable. With his chops, it'd be easy for him to overplay, but he really walked the fine line between power and finesse. Colley has to be one of the finest bassists on the scene, displaying the intelligence and dark tone that so drew me to his playing upon first hearing him years ago on Jim Hall's Magic Meeting. To sum up, Burton has once again managed to assemble a group of talented, like-minded musicians.

I also picked up Burton's autobiography after the gig, joining the long line of people waiting to meet Gary. Although I only own 3 of his albums, I am really into the book. I wasn't aware that he was a child prodigy who was part of a family band. It is an honest, frequently laugh-out-loud read, with insightful and touching stories of his friends and colleagues. I imagine that it will get more into his personal life later on, which should be interesting. Combined with seeing his quartet live, It's really piquing my interest in his work.

I caught the late set of his quartet in Pittsburgh on Saturday. I had only previously seen him with the Mack Avenue SuperBand. Although I've seen Julian Lage with his own group and Antonio Sanchez with Pat Metheny, it was my first time seeing Scott Colley. It is was an amazing concert. Some of the highlights for me were: Gary's long solo introduction to Keith Jarrett's 'In Your Quiet Place'; their take on Sanchez's tricky 'Caminos', which the group pulled off flawlessly, despite Burton's warning beforehand that they were still working out the kinks; and, the curiously titled Burton piece, 'Jane Fonda Called Again', the title of which Burton didn't explain. Burton shows no signs of slowing down, with his creative playing and appearance belying his age.

My wife, who worked third shift the night before and wasn't enthusiastic about making the trip to Pittsburgh, loved it. Listening to Generations, Lage's recorded debut with Burton from 2004, he's really grown immensely. It's hard to believe that he is only 25, and I can't wait to see how he progresses. Sanchez really impressed me; he is a sensitive drummer of intense focus and his time-feel is remarkable. With his chops, it'd be easy for him to overplay, but he really walked the fine line between power and finesse. Colley has to be one of the finest bassists on the scene, displaying the intelligence and dark tone that so drew me to his playing upon first hearing him years ago on Jim Hall's Magic Meeting. To sum up, Burton has once again managed to assemble a group of talented, like-minded musicians.

I also picked up Burton's autobiography after the gig, joining the long line of people waiting to meet Gary. Although I only own 3 of his albums, I am really into the book. I wasn't aware that he was a child prodigy who was part of a family band. It is an honest, frequently laugh-out-loud read, with insightful and touching stories of his friends and colleagues. I imagine that it will get more into his personal life later on, which should be interesting. Combined with seeing his quartet live, It's really piquing my interest in his work.

'Jane Fonda Called Again' is probably my favourite (certainly my most played) track off their latest album. Would love to see this group play live. Gary Burton is a true great IMO. His discography is pretty consistently excellent; i don't think i've ever heard a Burton album that i didn't at least like. I've been hearing a lot of good things about his autobiography; i also didn't know that he was a child prodigy (or heard it somewhere but didn't register) this probably added to his connection with Metheny and in particular Lage.

I've seen Burton several time, but I saw him and his current band at the Blue Note a couple of weeks ago and was well, disappointed Really good band and musicians, but there was something about the songs them selves , with the exception of a song by Sanchez, that didn't grab me.

To make matters worse ( of course the Blue Note packs people in uncomfortably) Auto Sandoval plated a couple of tune and REALLL stuck up the place. Horrible!

I'm happy you experiences were better.

• 4 years later...
On 8/22/2013 at 11:17 PM, mjzee said:

Is it this one?

41J5eQTvBEL.jpg

Listening now to Live In Tokyo for the first time.  Wonderful, wonderful stuff.  June 1971...this has the sophistication and detail of his ECM recordings with the fire of his Atlantic days.  Great band: Sam Brown, guitar, Tony Levin, bass, Bill Goodwin, drums.  If you love Burton, you have to have it.  Great sound, too.

Got a copy of the CD issue of this one:

R-4164574-1357410636-8930.jpeg.jpg

I'm not really a fan of Burton, I prefer more rhythmically centered vibes players, but I enjoyed him here. Part of the arrangements are by Gary McFarland, for a very unique ensemble of woodwinds (french horn, bassoon, flute or clarinet) and string trio plus vibes/guitar/bass/drums,

Burton's RCA sessions would have made a nice box set ..... the CD reissue I got via jpc comes without booklet notes, not even a facsimile of the back cover, no credits - only a list of tunes without timings or composers! It bears an official SONY imprint, and is sold at normal price. Any Spanish label would have taken more care.

Edited by mikeweil

31 minutes ago, mikeweil said:

I'm not really a fan of Burton, I prefer more rhythmically centered vibes players, but I enjoyed him here. Part of the arrangements are by Gary McFarland, for a very unique ensemble of woodwinds (french horn, bassoon, flute or clarinet) and string trio plus vibes/guitar/bass/drums,

Burton's RCA sessions would have made a nice box set ..... the CD reissue I got via jpc comes without booklet notes, not even a facsimile of the back cover, no credits - only a list of tunes without timings or composers! It bears an official SONY imprint, and is sold at normal price. Any Spanish label would have taken more care.

I was just listening to that album, and i agree with everything you said about it. GB didn't keep his foot on the sustain pedal most of the time, like he did on most of his later recordings (my only complaint with GB). Maybe it was due to the fact that a fellow vibes player, GM, did the arr. on half the tunes, and may have had some input on GB's playing.

Even though GB was a genius vibes player, I prefer listening to players who didn't lean on the sustain pedal, Bags, GM, Cal Tjader, Eddie Costa, etc... as much as GB did.

GB talked about that session in his autobiography, coming down hard on Jim Hall for not letting him know beforehand that he couldn't make the session, and sending Joe Puma (who does a wonderful job) without letting him know. Burton also lets everyone else he played with have it; Getz (I don't know where to start!) Metheny (made little fixes in the studio on all his solos), MJQ( couldn't sightread), Coryell (stoned), Sam Brown (same as Coryell), and so on.

Brookmeyer has a great solo on 'My Favorite Things', but he limits Woods to the clarinet(!) throughout. GB's solo interpretations are fantastic. He manages to sound like Bill Evans (his stated biggest influence) with four mallets! 

The best thing about the LP is that they took tunes from TSOM like 'Do Re MI, Climb Every Mountain, The title song, and made them into blowing vehicles in a very organic fashion; something only harmonic geniuses like GB and GM were capable of doing.

On 2/15/2018 at 1:59 PM, mikeweil said:

It's also available as part of this three-album/2-CD set that BGO put out last year--an edition that does come with fairly extensive liner notes:

Something's Coming/The Groovy Sound Of Music/The Time Machine

Michael Cuscuna told me that they did indeed begin the planning for a Burton RCA set at one point, but that they were unable to secure the rights for it because Sony wanted a guaranteed number of sets that was higher than what Mosaic felt was financially viable.

On ‎13‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 10:57 PM, mjzee said:

Listening now to Live In Tokyo for the first time.  Wonderful, wonderful stuff.  June 1971...this has the sophistication and detail of his ECM recordings with the fire of his Atlantic days.  Great band: Sam Brown, guitar, Tony Levin, bass, Bill Goodwin, drums.  If you love Burton, you have to have it.  Great sound, too.

The original release of this was in Japan and Canada only...  The Atlantic rep in Toronto was a friend who sent me a pre-release Japanese pressing, and I convinced him to put it out in Canada.  I did the liner notes for it, but of course the current CD release is strictly Japanese.  mjzee has it exactly right:  sophistication/fire!

• 4 weeks later...

Is anyone familiar with this?  From the Amazon description: The versatile West Coast jazz drummer, vibraphonist and percussionist Larry Bunker is featured here leading an amazing quartet featuring world renowned vibraphonist Gary Burton; Mike Wofford (piano) and Bob West (bass); recorded live in 1967 at the famous West Coast jazz club, Shelly's Manne-Hole, founded by the legendary jazz drummer Shelly Manne, featuring compositions by Mike Gibbs, Cole Porter, Phil Woods, Jerome Kern and others. All selections newly remastered.

51roKM1GI9L._SX425_.jpg

6 hours ago, mjzee said:

Is anyone familiar with this?  From the Amazon description: The versatile West Coast jazz drummer, vibraphonist and percussionist Larry Bunker is featured here leading an amazing quartet featuring world renowned vibraphonist Gary Burton; Mike Wofford (piano) and Bob West (bass); recorded live in 1967 at the famous West Coast jazz club, Shelly's Manne-Hole, founded by the legendary jazz drummer Shelly Manne, featuring compositions by Mike Gibbs, Cole Porter, Phil Woods, Jerome Kern and others. All selections newly remastered.

51roKM1GI9L._SX425_.jpg

I have this one. Vey nice set with good playing by all 4 musicians.

3 hours ago, JSngry said:

Originally on Vault, I see...https://www.discogs.com/Larry-Bunker-Quartette-Featuring-Gary-Burton-Live-At-Shellys-Manne-Hole/master/809584

Recorded earlier than 1967, read the liner notes.

Right; they say the last couple of bookings for this quartet were postponed because of President Kennedy's assassination, but happened sometime afterwards...let's say end of 1963/early 1964.  

• 2 years later...

I just checked LORD and discovered that the Larry Bunker Quartet CD on Vault is not what I have.

It turns out I have 2 CDs on the Japanese Interplay label by the same group at Shelly Manne's -Hole that were recorded on a different date. The 2 Interplays CDs I have are sub-titled "Unissued Session" and have a total of 16 tunes.

Haven't listened to them in quite some time, so plan to place them on the CD player in the next few days to refresh my memory of this music.

• 9 months later...

R-3264589-1322989144.jpeg.jpg

Got me a copy of this 2001 release last week, as I was (of course) interested in Burton's take on a Tjader tribute, and I am pleasantly surprised. He has a thorough grab of the jazz vibes tradition, and has original ideas when treating the tunes he selected, e.g. he writes a John Lewis style counterpart to Bags' Groove, which always is taken as prime example of Milt Jackson's alternative to the "academic" MJQ sound, gives Afro Blue a very modern Cuban Jazz treatment, etc. He plays the last two tracks on xylophone and marimba - very nice to hear him on these!