The White Stripes - Icky Thump

Alexander

I don't know how Jack and Meg do it, but they keep topping themselves. I know that a lot of people were disappointed by "Get Behind Me, Satan," because it wasn't as guitar driven as "Elephant" or "White Blood Cells," but I thought it was wonderful. "Icky Thump" takes the experimental bent of "Get Behind Me" and combines it with their earlier sound, and it kicks some serious ASS. If you like the Stripes, you owe it to yourself to get this post haste...

I like them quite a bit, and will probably check this one out. Elephant is still my favorite so far, though I've enjoyed at least a few tunes off all of their albums. I wish Meg would sing more often, I like when she and Jack trade lyrics. I'm a sucker for blues rock.

and Meg has to be one of the worst pro drummers I've ever heard

But she is the most attractive drummer I've ever seen:

meg76.jpg

Yeah, Meg's a cutie! And I think she's improved a great deal as a drummer over the years. For some time, people have been saying that Jack's gonna cut her loose and pursue a solo career. I, for one, hope he never does...

Check out the video for the title track. Awesome! The Stripes always have the best videos...

"White Americans, what? Nothing better to do? Why don't you kick yourselves out, you're an immigrant too! What shall we do? Who's using who? Well, you can't be a pimp and a prostitute too..."

Edited by Alexander

Looks my original post got deleted with the upgrade, but I've listened to this one several times and I'm REALLY digging it. I love this band....they keep evolving and growing, yet they keep that same down home grittiness that they've had since their first album.

This is a fine album. I think I like it more than Get Behind Me Satan, which I loved.

Keeps getting better with each listening! It's also sent me back to the earlier Stripes albums which I hadn't listened to in a while. "De Stigl" is pretty fuckin' awesome. I love Jack's version of "Death Letter Blues!" And the Stripes do a GREAT cover of Dylan's "One More Cup of Coffee" on their first album...

I actually think the White Stripes may be the hippest contemporary group I've heard in some time - and Meg, for better or for worse, makes up in feeling for what she lacks in technique -

and maybe we should give her more musical credit and less physical evaluation -

all of which may be the reason that so few women post on this board -

I for one am tired of being taken for eye-candy, and I asssume so is she -

Edited by AllenLowe

And they are nice people as well...

White Stripes rock Toronto daycare

Jul 06, 2007 07:06 AM

Karen Pinchin

Canadian press

Alt-rock duo the White Stripes thrilled dozens of children at a Toronto day camp Thursday afternoon with an impromptu gig that had the youngsters clapping their hands and wriggling in time to the music.

More than 65 children between the ages of five and 12 sat in a semi-circle on the floor to catch a five-song set by bandmates Jack White and Meg White. About 80 adults were allowed in the room, including some fans who talked their way through the door.

"This is my fifth year here and something like this has never happened before," said 11-year-old Camille, waving his hands for emphasis.

"When I saw them perform I was like, 'Wow, I really need to download these songs when I get home."'

Adult fans who had heard about the show by word of mouth, text messages and on websites rushed to the downtown YMCA, where the show was held.

Most were turned away by security, who said the concert was just for kids.

Some 100 people, dressed in the band's red, white and black trademark colours, stood grumbling in a hall outside the auditorium and out on the street.

The daycamp show was just the latest in a series of last-minute gigs the Detroit duo has offered before their Canadian concerts.

Each time, they've relied primarily on their Internet fansite to spread the word, giving as little as 20 minutes' notice for the unorthodox appearances.

On Monday, the pair surprised Winnipeggers with a performance on a city bus and a downtown bridge.

Over the weekend, a Saskatoon bowling alley was the unconventional stage for a 15-minute set and the previous weekend, it was a community centre in Edmonton where 100 fans were treated to a free show.

But the 30-minute Toronto show was likely played before their youngest audience yet.

"I'm positive that 90 per cent of these kids don't know who they are, but I think they really got a kick out of it," said Ian Campbell, who works for the daycamp.

YMCA spokesman Jamie Slater said he thought it was a prank when the band's manager contacted him about the show Thursday morning.

"At first I thought they were joking," said Slater.

"Once I found out that they were serious, I asked them why they chose the Toronto YMCA, and their manager, Gabe, told me he searched the words 'Toronto' and 'fun' on the Internet."

The band is touring Canada in support of their latest album, ``Icky Thump," and Slater said they asked to play for the camp because they wanted to reach a younger audience.

One child was lucky enough to be called up to sing a part of the R&B song "I Believe I Can Fly."

"I was very nervous," said eight-year-old Dylan. "I'll tell my brother I sang in a rock band and there was a band in the YMCA and that's all."