Speakers Corner reissues

Claude

Since I started this thread I have bough a lot of Speaker's Corner LPs (about 20), and they sound mostly excellent compared to the CD versions (remastered Impulse! or Verve reissues), except Charles Mingus "Black Saint and the sinner lady" and Chet Baker "Chet is Back" (on the Pure Pleasure label distributed by Speakers Corner), which sound better on CD.

The most spectacular improvement is Max Roach's "We insist" (Pure Pleasure label), for which the master tape or a good copy was used, whereas the late 80's Candid CD was dubbed from a noisy LP.

• 2 weeks later...

I can add my two cents on Speakers Corner vs. Classic Records. I definitely think Speakers Corner re-issues are fantastic. I've been playing the Ben Webster and oscar peterson lately and it is dynamite. Others that I have all seem to meet the same high standard. The Classic Records Blue Note releases are mostly good as well (and a relatively economical way to get mono pressings compared to finding nice condition original copies), but i have found that some are better than others. I was particularly dissapointed with Art Blakey's Moanin', which had the horns far louder than the original, which overpowers the great rythym section.