Aug. & Sep. 2007 - US Blue Note RVG CD Reissues

Kevin Bresnahan

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do "ICPN" and "DICPN" mean?

MG

They are unique identifiers for products like books, cds, etc.

I know this is very silly, but

International Standard Book Number is the product identifier for books

ICPN means International Code Product Number

What does DICPN mean? And why would one product need two identifiers?

MG

I used to know more about this from a project I was working on, but I'm fuzzy on it now. As I recall their purpose is to reconcile the fact that various category-specific coding schemes use different formats (e.g. ISBNs are X digits long, the analogous codes for cds are Y digits long, etc.) This would clearly be important for mega-retailers with huge inventories who sell many types of products.

I'm sure Kevin can clear this up.

I used to know more about this from a project I was working on, but I'm fuzzy on it now. As I recall their purpose is to reconcile the fact that various category-specific coding schemes use different formats (e.g. ISBNs are X digits long, the analogous codes for cds are Y digits long, etc.) This would clearly be important for mega-retailers with huge inventories who sell many types of products.

I'm sure Kevin can clear this up.

Ah, that makes sense. I always wondered how all these different numbers for different types of goods were kept separate.

MG

Anybody know just how "definite" these releases are? With all the tightening up at EMI and the occasional indecisiveness on BN's part when it comes to the latest batch of RVG titles, can I safely unload my current copies, especially the Conns? I do typically like to sell stuff as far in advance of a RVG release as possible, to get the most money out of 'em.

Lately, Michael has been giving me PCN numbers for upcoming releases. Somehow, I think this makes them more "official".

Thanks, Kevin. That's what I was hoping to see. I do own most of these titles in one form or another, but I am always happy to upgrade (and no, I won't ever be selling my Mosaics - that's as good as it gets!)

Another quick question that I could easily answer myself with 10 min of research, but I'll leave open to the board here: With the RVG re-issuing of "Takin' Off" has the entirety the BN Herbie Hancock boxset now been released on RVG? I remember way back in the day hearing a number of complaints about the sound quaility of the "Maiden Voyage" (or was it "Empyrean Isles"?) RVG, but I may be tempted to go sell that box and go for individual releases instead, much as I did with Dexter, even though I couldn't get all of those albums on RVG.

Off the top of my head, the box has that one cut from some "funk" session that also showed up on the "Lost Sessions" CD. (THAT CD looks better all the time - is it still available?) And not sure if all the alternate takes on the box are on the individual RVG's, either.

Off the top of my head, the box has that one cut from some "funk" session that also showed up on the "Lost Sessions" CD. (THAT CD looks better all the time - is it still available?) And not sure if all the alternate takes on the box are on the individual RVG's, either.

Lost Sessions was a Conn and has not been readily available in quite a long time.

Flight to Jordan is one my favorite Blue Notes.

Despite owning the JRVG, I've also hung on to the Collector's Choice version because of the two bonus tracks- "Diamond Stud" and "I Should Care"- different songs rather than alternate takes which do not appear on the JRVG.

I wonder if these two bonus tracks will be included on the RVG?

This is related to another issue that I have not heard definitively resolved- I seem to recall hearing that after about 2003, JRVGs and RVGs used the same remasters. So it will be interesting to see if Flight to Jordan RVG has the two extra tracks.

Perhaps I should just quit worrying about this...great music in any case!

Riverrat: Don't worry, the RvG will have all the extra tracks (just as is the case with all the RvG's as opposed to the JRvG's (excluding the later series which had the extra tracks)). I have the KRvG (Korean) & the JRvG of Flight to Jordan. The Korean version has the bonus tracks as well (remastered in 1998) so I guess I don't need to buy it again!

Riverrat: Don't worry, the RvG will have all the extra tracks (just as is the case with all the RvG's as opposed to the JRvG's (excluding the later series which had the extra tracks)). I have the KRvG (Korean) & the JRvG of Flight to Jordan. The Korean version has the bonus tracks as well (remastered in 1998) so I guess I don't need to buy it again!

Thanks for clarifying.

OK, so now we have TOCJ, TOCJ24, CC, Connoisseur, RVG, JRVG a few MFSL and now KRVG versions of Blue Note CD reissues.

So how do the KRVG versions sound in comparison to the others? What happens when you reverse the polarity of your speaker wires? (Newer board members may not understand why this is so significant...)

JUST KIDDING!!!!!

For a KRvG you need to remove the power lead otherwise the current get's too strong and the neighbours get a headache.

PS the KRvG thing is not a joke, I really have it. Didn't compare it to the JRvG but I guess they are the same since that one is also from 1998. My guess is the USARvG will be a newer remaster so that one can (and probably will) sound different.

Edited by Bluerein

Same here.

I feel the same way about Davis Cup.

I'm with you here. I've always found Davis Cup to be an amazing listen. I'm very much looking forward to the Baby Face and Thad Jones. On another note, I just stumbled across this site and I look forward to talking jazz with all of you :)

Same here.

I'm with you here. I've always found Davis Cup to be an amazing listen. I'm very much looking forward to the Baby Face and Thad Jones. On another note, I just stumbled across this site and I look forward to talking jazz with all of you :)

Glad to have you on board, Mo!

Guy

Same here.

Guy

Glad to be here! I didn't see an introduction thread anywhere so I figured I'd post it here. Since I'm mainly a re-issue kind of guy, I think I'll be in here often!

I also say Diz's At Newport is slated for an 8/7/07 release according to CDUniverse. I'll be able to finally ditch that CD-R!

Is it safe to say then that all (or a fair number) of RVGs are available in Korea well before they appear on U.S. shelves?

http://cgi.ebay.com/DUKE-JORDAN-Flight-To-...1QQcmdZViewItem

....Hey, Porcy -- seller says "Sorry, We No Longer Ship to ITALY, CHINA". What's up with that???? :P

Edited by Son-of-a-Weizen

Same here.

Welcome! :tup

Same here.

Guy

Glad to be here! I didn't see an introduction thread anywhere so I figured I'd post it here. Since I'm mainly a re-issue kind of guy, I think I'll be in here often!

I also say Diz's At Newport is slated for an 8/7/07 release according to CDUniverse. I'll be able to finally ditch that CD-R!

Welcome! Hope to see more of you around these parts.

And let's not forget the great sounding DAD's issued by Classic Records (some, if not all still available)!!!!!

OK, so now we have TOCJ, TOCJ24, CC, Connoisseur, RVG, JRVG a few MFSL and now KRVG versions of Blue Note CD reissues.

this makes me dazzle, dizzle or whatever you may call it...

Is it safe to say then that all (or a fair number) of RVGs are available in Korea well before they appear on U.S. shelves?

http://cgi.ebay.com/DUKE-JORDAN-Flight-To-...1QQcmdZViewItem

....Hey, Porcy -- seller says "Sorry, We No Longer Ship to ITALY, CHINA". What's up with that???? :P

I stumbled upon this a few months back...I think this is just a one-off case, and someone said they owned it as mentioned earlier in the thread.

Edited by eeegor