Aug. & Sep. 2007 - US Blue Note RVG CD Reissues

Kevin Bresnahan

I've always heard good things about "Flight To Jordan". Anyone else care to add a few thoughts?

"..now if I make a record date I will make sure, much more sure that everything is done the way it's supposed to be done, and that the musicians will be the right musicians. Like, on that record date I did with Blue Note I had a trumpet player, Dizzy Reece, and I shouldn't have given him the date. I should have given it to someone else because he didn't jell with Turrentine, the saxophone player. It was a wrong combination and the record date didn't come out the way it should have".

Duke Jordan, interviewed by Roland Baggenaes, Coda, September-October 1973

WOW. I thought it came out friggin' great. Well, just goes to show, you can't always go by what the artist says.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RVG's I'd like to see, in no particular order, artists largely omitted out of laziness. Ya'll know who did 'em:

Leapin' and Lopin'

Happy Frame of Mind

Rollin' with Leo

ZT's Blues

Far Away Lands

The Rajah

Cornbread

Up at Minton's

Look Out!

Blues Walk

Quartet/Quintet/Sextet

Tippin' the Scales

Bluesnik

New Soil

Blue and Sentimental

Easy Living

Open House/Plain Talk

Stop and Listen

Matador

Born to Be Blue

KB at the Five Spot

Out of the Blue

Blakey/Moody: New Sounds

Piano Interperetations

A Portrait of Sheila

The Jody Grind

Good Gracious!

Sunny Side Up

Swing, Swang, Swingin'

The In Between

Cliff Craft

Further Explorations

Conns:

High Frequency

A Date with Jimmy Smith vols 1 & 2

Jimmy Smith at the Organ 1 & 2

Up and Down

Natural Essence

Live at the Hickory House v 1 & 2

Thad Jones v3

The Opener

Two Bones

Bone & Bari

CF vol 3

Here 'tis

Chant

The Creeper

Contrasts

Heaven on Earth

Jimmy Smith & LD

LD + 3

Lou Takes Off

Smithville

And the first session in the Blue Mitchell box, the one with Joe Henderson on. What's it called?

Smithville, of course! I want that released bigtime!

Can anyone give me information about Lee Morgan's "Indeed" session? Is this early or late Lee? Sideman? Is it an exceptional session or is it sort of run-of-the-mill hard bop? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Mogie's debut as a leader on Blue Note, when he was only 18!!!! Here's the lineup:

Lee Morgan (tp) Clarence Sharpe (as) Horace Silver (p) Wilbur Ware (b) Philly Joe Jones (d)

Rudy Van Gelder Studio, Hackensack, NJ, November 4, 1956

tk.3 Gaza Strip

tk.4 Reggie Of Chester

tk.6 Little T

tk.9 Stand By

tk.11 Roccus

tk.14 The Lady

I could never be accused of being an optimist - but maybe the recent birth of my first child or maybe just being tired of the gloom and doom predictions here has made me wonder....

If the EMI/BlueNote re-issue program (RVGs, Connoisseurs) does come to a halt what is the likelihood of our friends at Mosaic picking up the pieces? I know it's probably a long-shot but I need some good news here!

Kind of depends on how much voting interest EMI has in Mosaic, and the extent to which they choose to exercise that interest.

EMI has no voting interest in Mosaic. Mosaic is an independently owned company that licenses from a variety of companies including EMI. Licensing has nothing to do with voting interest.

RVG's I'd like to see, in no particular order, artists largely omitted out of laziness. Ya'll know who did 'em:

Leapin' and Lopin'

Happy Frame of Mind

Rollin' with Leo

ZT's Blues

Far Away Lands

The Rajah

Cornbread

Up at Minton's

Look Out!

Blues Walk

Quartet/Quintet/Sextet

Tippin' the Scales

Bluesnik

New Soil

Blue and Sentimental

Easy Living

Open House/Plain Talk

Stop and Listen

Matador

Born to Be Blue

KB at the Five Spot

Out of the Blue

Blakey/Moody: New Sounds

Piano Interperetations

A Portrait of Sheila

The Jody Grind

Good Gracious!

Sunny Side Up

Swing, Swang, Swingin'

The In Between

Cliff Craft

Further Explorations

Conns:

High Frequency

A Date with Jimmy Smith vols 1 & 2

Jimmy Smith at the Organ 1 & 2

Up and Down

Natural Essence

Live at the Hickory House v 1 & 2

Thad Jones v3

The Opener

Two Bones

Bone & Bari

CF vol 3

Here 'tis

Chant

The Creeper

Contrasts

Heaven on Earth

Jimmy Smith & LD

LD + 3

Lou Takes Off

Smithville

And the first session in the Blue Mitchell box, the one with Joe Henderson on. What's it called?

What'd I miss? I omitted things available on Selects and in-print Mosaic boxes, except for a few LD titles, a couple Parlans (it'll be gone soon enough, right?). Some individual Stanley Turrentines (Comin' Your Way, Jubilee Shout) from the box would be nice to have out too.

I'd add in

Jimmy Smith at Club Baby Grand vols 1 & 2

Jimmy McGriff - Black pearl

Jimmy McGriff - Something to listen to

Lou Donaldson/Clifford Brown - whatever they want to call it

Bobby Hutcherson Live at Montreux

MG

Isn't Mosaic half-owned by Capitol, which is owned by EMI?

My correction, Capitol acquired a 50% interest in Mosaic a few years ago.

This has nothing to do with "voting" or managerial control, indeed, if Capitol were involved managerially, it is very unlikely Sony, Universal or any other competitor would license to them.

It is even less likely that Capitol have any involvement at the level of deciding on titles to issue.

Lou Donaldson/Clifford Brown - whatever they want to call it

That's half of the Clifford Brown Memorial album, right?

Is it? Does that album contain all the Donaldson/Brown material? And, finally, is it available? I think that's the last hole in my Lou Donaldson collection, apart from two tracks on a Cotillion Christmas LP.

MG

The Memorial album is available both as an RVG and as part of the (somewhat crappy sounding) complete Clifford Brown BN/PJ box set on BN. I'm not sure if the Memorial album RVG has all of the BN recordings with Donaldson, but it seems that the complete box must.

The Memorial album is available both as an RVG and as part of the (somewhat crappy sounding) complete Clifford Brown BN/PJ box set on BN. I'm not sure if the Memorial album RVG has all of the BN recordings with Donaldson, but it seems that the complete box must.

Just got home and checked. All nine tracks with LD from the complete box are on the Memorial album RVG.

Just got home and checked. All nine tracks with LD from the complete box are on the Memorial album RVG.

Thanks very much. Better get it, I suppose.

MG

Anybody know just how "definite" these releases are? With all the tightening up at EMI and the occasional indecisiveness on BN's part when it comes to the latest batch of RVG titles, can I safely unload my current copies, especially the Conns? I do typically like to sell stuff as far in advance of a RVG release as possible, to get the most money out of 'em.

Anybody know just how "definite" these releases are? With all the tightening up at EMI and the occasional indecisiveness on BN's part when it comes to the latest batch of RVG titles, can I safely unload my current copies, especially the Conns? I do typically like to sell stuff as far in advance of a RVG release as possible, to get the most money out of 'em.

Kevin has been our "in" with Michael for a long time. When he announces a new batch for a particular date, you can take it to the bank ... to withdraw the cash to pay for 'em. ;)

Kevin has been our "in" with Michael for a long time. When he announces a new batch for a particular date, you can take it to the bank ... to withdraw the cash to pay for 'em. ;)

Well, there was Basra :blink:

but that was a special case.

I thought I saw some mention that Smithville is likely to be reissued by 2008, so fingers crossed on that.

Heh heh heh heh.... yep! -_-

Lately, Michael has been giving me PCN numbers for upcoming releases. Somehow, I think this makes them more "official".

This is what he sent me:

August 21, 2007

Paul Chambers – Bass On Top

ICPN: 0094639318223

DICPN: 0094639318353

Walter Davis, Jr. – Davis Cup

ICPN: 0094639276622

DICPN: 0094639276554

Duke Jordan – Flight To Jordan

ICPN: 0094639275922

DICPN: 0094639275854

Lee Morgan – Vol. 2