Georgia Anne Muldrow - Resumed for EDC, etc

JSngry

Spent the night w/these three discs:

muldro_geor_olesifrag_101b.jpg

muldro_geor_worthnoth_101b.jpg

blingh_patt_sagala~~~_101b.jpg

All I can say is - this chick is NUTS.

And I mean that as the highest possible compliment.

Others can probably describe her music better than I, so let me just say that there's a density here that opens up easily & beautifully with each successive listen, a subliminal musical polyglottishness that bespeaks having absorbed to the point of no longer having to mimc outright, and an attitude towards the "rules" of mainstream melody, harmony, and song structure that could best be described as wryly fuquitous.

And oh yeah - soul & intellegence out the wazzoo.

I'd like to think that the further we get into the 21st Century, the more we're going to be hearing "street music" of substance like this, but who knows? Maybe Georgia Anne Muldrow is just a freak, this is all she's got to say, and oh well, wasn't that fun while it lasted? Time will tell, as it always does.

But until then, if you're looking for something kinda "left-fieldish" that is even more substantive than it is "unique", and if you're not a "purist" (jazz or otherwise) who thinks that "hip-hop" means The Death Of All That Is Sacred And Good About Our Music And Life, then hey - check her out.

This chick is NUTS. :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup

...do you know about Jean Grae at all?

Worth a checkout, eh?

I know the name, might have heard a cut along the way, but nothing that's stuck so far. You gotta remember that I'm still very much a tourist in this particular universe, although not an uncomfortable and/or totally clueless one any more...

WHOA! Did not know that about the lineage...

As you say, yet...yeah!

Sa-Ra is somebody I plan on getting to as well.

In the meantime, the world of podcasts continues to yield discoverational treasures. For once and for all, finally, present O-Board Dignitaries excluded, and no doubt extravagantly behind the curve, FUCK RADIO.

Chuck, did you know Ronald Muldrow from the Eddie Harris days?

And you maybe oughta check out his daughter, just because. I doubt she's your thing, but one thing she's not is "easy" music. No way...

Her & Braxton's son oughta get a room. Yeah, that's who oughta get a room!

• 2 years later...

very interesting - though I have to say that one thing always confuses me - the hip hop world always like to talk about how important certain beats are, like somebody says there how cool it is that she did her beat all by herself - but the beats I hear rarely sound interesting to me, if anything I always think they can use some work - some layering, some variation.

just wondering -

-the old guy in Maine

Ah, this type of hip-hop is definitely underground.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwsABGGZx3w

Don't confuse what makes it up (or even halfway up) to "the masses" with all that is going on...

And delta blues was never provincial? Have you ever been to the Mississippi Delta? Hell, even today, it'a a world unto its own. Or at least it was when I was there in 1981....probably not now that all the promoters and historians and tourists have made their impact. But back then, there were two types of people I encountered among the "blues population" - those who had left to as sidemen and those who hadn't. And the ones who had came home glad to be among those who hadn't....

Funny thing is, I was there playing a hotel "show band" gig in a white hotel, in Greenville. But blues musicians literally filled the streets during the day. They say a case or something, asked if you were a musician, and next thing you know, you were talking to about 8 or 9 other people, talking about gigs, axes, stuff like that, in that uniquely "provincial" dialect & vocabulary, full of odd turns of speech and refernces. This was 1982. I can only imagine what it was in 1932 (or earlier...)

Any way Georgia Anne is one of the pieces of what is shaping up to be the new puzzle. Her POV is not an end unto itself, but an early lay-down of what is sure to be the popular music of the 21st century. Intriguing, unconventional, and yes, often lsee than fully formed. But here it comes, little by little, piece by piece, already forming its own embryonic tradition. "Rap" is all but dead as a real power & "commercial" hip hop is like baby corn - tasty enough, but picked way too soon in order to satisfy appetites that might not givve a shit about the mature product. (horrible analogy, I know, but I am pressed for time rioght now so it will have to do.)

If you plan on living more than just a few more years, it might be fun to watch this stuff evolve over the next few decades. The underground lives.

I don't think junk is provincial - not a good idea, probably, but definitely a help for a lot musicians. Best music of that era came from junkies, so they must have known something.

and I think that maybe the Delta blues players were provincial - but not the music.

I hear a fair amount of hip hop - it strikes me as on the way to something that it's having trouble getting to. Like a lot of contemporary fiction.

Edited by AllenLowe

I hear a fair amount of hip hop - it strikes me as on the way to something that it's having trouble getting to.

Wellsir, that strikes me as representative of damn near everything right now....paradigm shift and all that. They don't come along all that often, really. Digital reality and all that is finally gained enough traction to no longer just be a "possibility". It's here and it ain't turning back.

In the meantime, a few people keep moving along in spite of all that. Georgia Anne Muldrow, to this point, is one of them. There will be more.

Quite possibly, we're in the Stone Age of the Digital Era. Enjoy responsibly!

Edited by JSngry

• 1 month later...

<h2 style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; outline-width: 0px; outline-style: initial; outline-color: initial; font-weight: normal; font-style: inherit; font-size: 18px; font-family: inherit; font: normal normal normal 1.125em/normal helvetica, arial, sans-serif; display: inline; line-height: 25px; "></h2>

Jim, have you heard SomeOthaShip by Declaime yet?

and have you checked out Flying Lotus yet?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Rod. Just checking in to see if you have listened to that Gaslamp much? Also, if you don't know already, Jose James' album BLACKMAGIC features a few tracks collab with Flying Lotus. I think EVERYONE on this board would dig his album THE DREAMER. Jazz jazz.

sorry it's been a while...been working on getting all the electrics in the house updated...

Yes! Good stuff this GK mix and these others that I started tracking down: "Love the Lab," :tup, "Finders Keepers," "Killers," "Gonja Sufi"... They remind me of the good ol' days of 60's/70's Freeform radio 'cause there's less emphasis on beat and more on the actual overall sound that historically hasn't seemed to be the case. I don't get "messages" and all the BS that too often weighs the sound down and so it's nice to hear sample varieties that are nuanced to be gently slid into the mix (Jello Biafra? Firesign Theatre?). Good stuff! There's a single page article in the latest WIRE (April) on him if you're interested.

...and, yes, I have those two José James sides and the Blackmagic Remixes. Not sure if everyone here would necessarily like him, but he's worth checking out to be informed of the up-and-coming. His singing style is a bit on the weak side for my taste. I'd describe him as a lighter, breathier version of guys like Terry Callier or Jon Lucien with the sound of the albums moving at a nearly glacial pace. The remixes actually add something extra that's more to my taste. Maybe this is called Quaalude jazz-hop or some such? I'm still giving it a chance to grow. The "bonus track" with no name (sure wish musicians wouldn't do this) goes on for nearly 11 minutes and made me want to switch over to Gil Scott-Heron's "A Sign of the Ages" which has the same feel but, ultimately has more if you know what I mean. Actually, it's the Flying Lotus produced track that gives some extra depth to the album. I wish he were involved in more of it. The Moodymann track is nice too.

Yes, I agree about José James. I do think many here would like The Dreamer, and possibly his stuff with Timo Lassy. He's got serious control, and, I think, is a vocalist whose voice should grow stronger with age.

Here's a link to three tracks that Flying Lotus/Warp is sharing that will not be on Cosmogramma.

http://warp.net/records/flying-lotus/new-album-cosmogramma-released-3rd-4th-may-2010