Status of future Coltrane boxes from Prestige?

Big Al

Are the new boxes remastered? I've had the big box for years, and the sound, while passable, isn't the greatest. Thanks.

Yes, Fearless Leader was remastered, and the upcoming ones will be also. I prefer the big box mastering to the new one, just my lousy opinion.

Edited by Matthew

Are the new boxes remastered? I've had the big box for years, and the sound, while passable, isn't the greatest. Thanks.

Yes, Fearless Leader was remastered, and the upcoming ones will be also. I prefer the big box mastering to the new one, just my lousy opinion.

As one who got the big box cheap cheap cheap last year, I love your lousy opinion so much I refuse to listen to any other!

As one who got the big box cheap cheap cheap last year, I love your lousy opinion so much I refuse to listen to any other!

Remember, I also got Fearless Leader free because I was a winner in the Concord contest running about the same time. The Trane has been looking out for me this year. :lol:

Edited by Matthew

There is a 5 CD Coltrane Box scheduled for release on Sept 11 entitled"Interplay'. Co-Leader and sideman releases ??

Don't know, but for the first time in a long time, I'm looking forward to September 11!

Al,specifics of this box will be made known the end of this month.

There is a 5 CD Coltrane Box scheduled for release on Sept 11 entitled"Interplay'. Co-Leader and sideman releases ??

Don't know, but for the first time in a long time, I'm looking forward to September 11!

Al,specifics of this box will be made known the end of this month.

Cool! Thanks!

Just because the tapes are being sent to Iron Mountain doesn't mean they are all going to be lost or inaccessible forever. Assuming the Fantasy tape archivist was halfways competent, they are probably mostly well inventoried and can be accessed.

Sure, some will be hard to find and so will bonus tracks, but Iron Mountain isn't some government warehouse, most tapes will still be locatable. And besides, I doubt much has gone there yet, it will likely take some time.

What else are they coming out with boxwise? Where is this info available? There was supposed to be a Miles early 50's box, according to talk on this board a while ago, any news on that? I can't find anything about upcoming box sets on concordmusicgroup.com. Am I missing something there?

In the Fearless Leader box it mentions in the intro that this is one of three sets that would be coming out. I think the sound quality is much improved from the old set, but what do I know?

Huge improvement. All of the boxes Concord has produced of the Fantasy-owned material have been exemplary in terms of concept, remastering, packaging, and price.

In the Fearless Leader box it mentions in the intro that this is one of three sets that would be coming out. I think the sound quality is much improved from the old set, but what do I know?

Huge improvement. All of the boxes Concord has produced of the Fantasy-owned material have been exemplary in terms of concept, remastering, packaging, and price.

This is a public service announcement:

FUCK CONCORD!!!

Now back to regularly scheduled programming.

Guy

Edited by Guy

All of the boxes Concord has produced of the Fantasy-owned material have been exemplary in terms of concept, remastering, packaging, and price.

And the people responsible for those packages have been terminated. I know there was a bunch of stuff in the pipeline before the closing of the Fantasy facility so it will take (maybe) a year for the "Concord produced" items to reach the public.

FUCK CONCORD!!!

Guy

Stupid post of the year. Completely impotent.

FUCK CONCORD!!!

Guy

All of the boxes Concord has produced of the Fantasy-owned material have been exemplary in terms of concept, remastering, packaging, and price.

And the people responsible for those packages have been terminated. I know there was a bunch of stuff in the pipeline before the closing of the Fantasy facility so it will take (maybe) a year for the "Concord produced" items to reach the public.

I recognize the feelings.....your post brought a :lol: but in my heart I feel your pain..... hang in there,good luck, and God Bless.

Chuck, if I'm interpreting your post correctly, the boxes were produced by Fantasy prior to the Concord buyout, and were going to come out on Fantasy. Is that true? And the people were let go? What does Concord have in mind? Are the Coltrane boxes and Miles box we are expecting still going to come out? Were those also Fantasy produced prior to the buyout? Any additional light you can shed on this would be greatly appreciated.

Chuck, if I'm interpreting your post correctly, the boxes were produced by Fantasy prior to the Concord buyout, and were going to come out on Fantasy. Is that true? And the people were let go? What does Concord have in mind? Are the Coltrane boxes and Miles box we are expecting still going to come out? Were those also Fantasy produced prior to the buyout? Any additional light you can shed on this would be greatly appreciated.

The people responsible for the Concord-era produced Fantasy boxes were a mix of the Fantasy staff and a new person that Concord had hired. That person has since left and gone to Rhino. It seems as though the second Coltrane box that was assembled will still be released but a third (to finish the series) may not. Also, the two further Miles boxes seem to have disappeared.

The people responsible for the Concord-era produced Fantasy boxes were a mix of the Fantasy staff and a new person that Concord had hired. That person has since left and gone to Rhino. It seems as though the second Coltrane box that was assembled will still be released but a third (to finish the series) may not. Also, the two further Miles boxes seem to have disappeared.

Then I take back every nice thing I've had to say about Concord and how they started out managing the Fantasy holdings. They seem to have decided to take the low road after all. We can "look forward" to the Keepnews Collection mindless regurgitations and the "... plays for Lovers" idiocy and that's it? Not a penny of mine will go towards any of that. I will, however, buy the Trane box as soon as it comes out.

Then I take back every nice thing I've had to say about Concord and how they started out managing the Fantasy holdings. They seem to have decided to take the low road after all. We can "look forward" to the Keepnews Collection mindless regurgitations and the "... plays for Lovers" idiocy and that's it? Not a penny of mine will go towards any of that. I will, however, buy the Trane box as soon as it comes out.

Man, we're fickle! :lol: On the one hand we complain that Concord is too fixed on the bottom line by cutting the chaff and re-releasing the same old money-making stuff; on the other we bitch that they may not be releasing one of the more commercial/profitable entries in their reissue series.

I think twelve months from now we will know which path Concord will be taking. Right now, I'm not so sure, but wouldn't expect so much.

I have the Coltrane box for quite some time now, there was a very reasonable Zweitausendeins campaign many years ago and I happened to have some money, and it sounds very good on my new Marantz SCD 7000ki player - the tapes will certainly not get better with age.