Sports: NBA 2007-2008

Bringing this thread up and deleting the one I started -- thought I did a search and couldn't find anything on the upcoming season. That's what happens when you get old.

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see what happens when Oden gets scoped tomorrow.

Edited by Matthew

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy Crap! Out for the season!!!! Thank the heavens above Seattle lost the lottery.

PORTLAND, Ore. -- Celebrated Trail Blazers rookie center Greg Oden, the No. 1 pick in the NBA draft, will likely miss the 2007-08 season after undergoing knee surgery Thursday, the team said.

Doctors found cartilage damage during an exploratory procedure, and team physician Dr. Don Roberts performed microfracture surgery to repair the damage.

"There are things about this that are positive for Greg," Roberts said in a statement posted on the Trail Blazers' Web site. "First of all, he is young. The area where the damage was is small and the rest of his knee looked normal. All those are good signs for a complete recovery from microfracture surgery."

The 7-foot center is expected to be on crutches for up to eight weeks. A full recovery likely will take six to 12 months, the team said.

The Trail Blazers will hold a 4:30 p.m. ET news conference to discuss Oden's situation. The procedure was performed in Vancouver, Wash.

Seven-footer Greg Oden will spend pretty much all of his first season in the NBA on the Trail Blazers' bench.

"Certainly this is a setback, but our future is still incredibly bright," Trail Blazers general manager Kevin Pritchard said. "Is it disappointing? Yes. However, this is a great core of talent and players of strong character and will continue to be."

Oden described the knee pain in an entry Tuesday on his personal blog:

"On my vacation earlier this summer i got up off the couch and remember my knee having a sharp pain in it. That was about a month ago. I didn't tell anyone because i didn't want to seem like i was complaining or making excuses for anything. Plus i wasn't doing anything at the time i realized it hurt, so i figured it couldn't be anything big.

"After a couple of weeks, i had to finally tell someone so i went to St. Vincent's Sports Performance (where i worked out at before draft) and got my knee looked at. That was right before i moved to Portland for good. My knee was swollen since i was there. I finally just said that i need to tell my trainer because this is not normal. We went to the doctor's the next day to get a MRI and that night me and my mom ended up in the doctor's office being told that I have to get surgery. It's a light one, just a scoop, but still it's just another setback. I would like for me to be playing and not seem like i'm a high-maintenance player, but things just keep popping up."

If Oden does not play this season, he would become only the second player in the common draft (1966-present) to be selected No. 1 overall and not play in the year of his selection. David Robinson was drafted by San Antonio in 1987 but instead honored his naval commitment.

This is Oden's second health problem since the Blazers drafted him in June. He had a tonsillectomy in July after struggling in two Las Vegas summer league games.

Oden, despite being hampered by a wrist injury during his freshman (and only) season at Ohio State, averaged 15.7 points and 9.6 rebounds in leading the Buckeyes to the national championship game. He had 25 points and 12 rebounds in the title-game loss to Florida.

The Trail Blazers were the surprise winners of the NBA draft lottery and chose Oden over Texas forward Kevin Durant, who went to Seattle. Portland opens training camp on Oct. 2, and its regular-season opener is at San Antonio on Oct. 30.

Sucks to be Portland right now. :ph34r:

Cool, Avery Johnson calling out his MVP. Not every day you see that in the NBA.

Q. What does Dirk Nowitzki have to do this year to improve on an MVP season?

A. Dirk can get better, and there are some things that Dirk can improve in that may not be basketball-related. It may be leadership-related. Dirk can get better on and off the court. And that’s why I’ve been stretching him. He’s the reigning MVP, and if he’s not willing to be stretched by his coach, then he never would have improved. So he’s willing to be stretched. And his stretching may not be necessarily on the court, but it may be in the area of leadership, and we’re willing to help him get better in that area.

Not sure if it's a good idea though....

Amazing... How do the Knicks think they can get out of this with any kind of respect? Beyond belief that this stuff is still going on. An account of yesterdays events in the courtroom.

PLEASE END THIS GAME OF UGLY BALL

By ANDREA PEYSER September 19, 2007

THE question hovers over every inch of the downtown court house - like an intern waiting outside a professional athlete's truck:

Why don't Isiah Thomas, Jim Dolan and all the emotionally stunted chuckleheads who run the Knicks, simply leap off the roof of Madison Square Garden with nothing but their inflated egos to break the fall?

End this, already!

Just when you thought the sexual-harassment trial of Anucha Brown Sanders against Knicks prez Isiah Thomas - with its nonstop revelations of lusty players, easy interns, and a coach who thinks black men own exclusive rights to the word "bitch" - can't get any more painful to watch, it does.

The absolute low moment came yesterday. Garden vice president Rusty McCormack, an elderly gent with a complexion the approximate shade of ripe cheese, was seen on videotape discussing how he convinced owner Jim Dolan to fire Sanders.

McCormack was asked if referring to a person as "n- - - - - " was contrary to Garden policies.

The correct answer would be, "Yes." Fatally, he said, "Again, it's not harassing a person. That's a pretty serious term!

"They would be reprimanded and told not to refer to that person again."

He was asked, again, by Sanders' incredulous lawyer - Is calling a person "n- - - - - " a violation?

"No. I don't think so," he struggled. "It would not be a very nice thing to do."

Oh, it got worse. He was reminded that player Stephon Marbury had referred to Sanders as a "black bitch." Was that OK?

"It could be, depending on the severity of it. All that stuff is by degrees. How many times, if it's not said directly to the person. . .

"The 'black' has racial overtones," he finally stammered. "And the bitch part."

Lordy.

The tape came moments after Garden owner Dolan, also on tape, finally, called it inappropriate for someone to call a woman a "black bitch." Then Dolan continued to run his mouth.

"It's also not appropriate to murder anyone. I don't know that that's happened, either," he said with a cocky shrug.

There you have it, sports fans. This pair has admitted - boasted - that they punished Sanders by taking her job. Just because she complained.

Settle this thing!

Zeke's rep is completely trashed.

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like Isiah/Knicks are going down hard in this trial. Again, how can Thomas keep his job after this juvenile BS! :rmad:

NEW YORK -- A jury indicated Monday that it believes New York Knicks coach Isiah Thomas and Madison Square Garden committed sexual harassment against a former team executive.

There was no official verdict, but the wording of a note to the judge by jurors makes it clear they have reached decisions on the key points of the $10 million lawsuit that has turned into a public relations disaster for the franchise.

Jurors reached a decision on eight of nine questions on the jury form. They were deadlocked on the one question, which asks whether Thomas should pay punitive damages. That question only becomes relevant if the jury of four women and three men first determines Thomas and Madison Square Garden committed harassment against Anucha Browne Sanders.

The judge sent the jury home for the day, asking the panel to deliberate Tuesday on the deadlocked question.

Lawyers for both sides declined to comment on the development, which came on the second full day of deliberations.

Browne Sanders, fired from her $260,000 a year job in 2006, has accused Thomas and Madison Square Garden of sexual harassment and said MSG fired her for complaining about the treatment.

Sheridan: What's next?

Isiah Thomas appears headed for a fall, courtesy of a New York jury. Here's what might happen next for the Knicks, Chris Sheridan writes. Story

Her case presented the Garden as "Animal House" in sneakers, a place where nepotism, sexism, crude remarks and crass language were part of the culture.

Browne Sanders, a married mother of three, spent four days on the witness stand laying out her case against the Garden and Thomas, who is married with two children.

A former Northwestern college basketball star, Browne Sanders characterized Thomas as a foul-mouthed lout who initially berated her as a "bitch" and a "ho" before his anger gave way to ardor, with Thomas making unwanted advances and encouraging her to visit him "off site."

Thomas, hired in December 2003, followed her to the stand and denied the allegations. Attorneys for Thomas and the Garden portrayed Browne Sanders as incompetent and unable to adapt once Thomas arrived as the Knicks' president.

"That's not about sexual harassment," MSG attorney Ronald Green said in his closing argument. "That's about team politics."

Thomas acknowledged trying to kiss Browne Sanders in December 2005, asking her "No love today?" when she recoiled. MSG president Steve Mills said he spoke with Thomas about the single incident, and the former point guard said it wouldn't happen again.

In her closing argument, Browne Sanders' attorney Anne Vladeck made note of Thomas' charismatic style and incandescent grin.

"There is no question Mr. Thomas can be charming and flash an engaging smile," she told the jury. "That does not give him the right to treat Browne Sanders like she is his woman."

Browne Sanders filed her lawsuit after she was fired in January 2006. MSG chairman Jim Dolan, who testified before Thomas, said he dismissed the team's vice president for marketing and business operations after learning she was pressuring Garden subordinates to bolster her complaint.

The case, from its inception, proved a public relations nightmare for the Knicks and the Garden, with coverage of the three-week trial focusing on its tawdriest aspects -- star guard Stephon Marbury having sex with an intern outside a strip club, raunchy come-ons from a Marbury cousin to his Garden co-workers, Thomas' videotaped remarks about the racial dynamics of calling a woman "a bitch."

"The World's Most Heinous Arena," read one New York Post headline about the case.

The trial did steer attention from the Knicks' on-court woes as the team geared up for its second season with Thomas as head coach. The Knicks finished 33-49 last year and have yet to win a playoff game during the Thomas regime.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

• 2 weeks later...

I see where Ray Allen dropped 28 point in 27 minutes against Minnesota last night. Celtics might, just might, have a good team this year. Honestly, if everyone stays healthy, a 50 win season is in the offing.

I had to look twice to make sure but it appears that Garnett only had 9 points.

I see where Ray Allen dropped 28 point in 27 minutes against Minnesota last night. Celtics might, just might, have a good team this year. Honestly, if everyone stays healthy, a 50 win season is in the offing.

...and Paul Pierce only had 8 points. The Celtics look good on paper but I'm still not completely convinced that Garnett, Allen, and Pierce will mesh all that well together.

...and Paul Pierce only had 8 points. The Celtics look good on paper but I'm still not completely convinced that Garnett, Allen, and Pierce will mesh all that well together.

It is still early but that was my feeling as well. Garnett hasn't had many games were his point total was so low.

I hope they figure everything out because I figured I would follow them this season instead of the Timberwolves!

***RUMOR***

Saw this elsewhere online, but per AM 570 in Los Angeles, Kobe Bryant has been traded to the Dallas Mavericks. He's cleared out his locker supposedly as well.

Lakers are supposedly getting Jason Terry, Juwon Howard, and 2 first rounders. Story's going around on The Ticket in Dallas too. Wonder how true it is??

edit - just tried to listen to both stations on line, but haven't heard anything about this. I guess it's just a rumor.

Edited by Aggie87

***RUMOR***

Saw this elsewhere online, but per AM 570 in Los Angeles, Kobe Bryant has been traded to the Dallas Mavericks. He's cleared out his locker supposedly as well.

Lakers are supposedly getting Jason Terry, Juwon Howard, and 2 first rounders. Story's going around on The Ticket in Dallas too. Wonder how true it is??

edit - just tried to listen to both stations on line, but haven't heard anything about this. I guess it's just a rumor.

Doesn't make sense to me. Howard & Terry are nothing to write home about, and two very low first rounder? If the Lakers are offering to take that, I'm jumping on it right now if I'm Dallas.... I think Kobe wishes he took that Clipper offer now, that made so much sense for him.