Sports: NBA 2007-2008

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Guys,

Looks like Lakers are coming around with Walton gone and Ariza on board as the 3rd &/or 4th scoring option. Brings a lot of energy and cutting to the basket.

Boston has turned into a high caliber threat in the East. The real test is not the first road swing west but the second half of the season and a road swing west. Don't think they can beat Pistons in 7 though.

:bwallace2:

Good to read your procedure went well, Bruce.

Walton's not gone, he's just riding the pine because the team is playing better with him there. I like Walton's passing ability, it's a shame he's not fleeter of foot. You're right about Ariza, that was a great acquisition. Kupchak's proving a lot of fans were hasty to judge him (me included).

Boston's lack of depth might be their undoing in the end. They sure are fun to watch right now though!

My bad, I thought Walton was in the trade for Ariza. Anyway Ariza is good for the Lakers.

Yeah, Boston is something else right now. Long season and injuries will tell the tale. They should go deep in the playoffs but I also don't think they can win the whole thing.

Stons are dominating. Their bench looks massively improved, with Maxiell improving, Stuckey proving to be very good, and Aflalo and Hayes doing well enough. The starters are getting rest too. I figure the Celtics will be fully worn out by the ECF, so the Pistons have a good chance at losing in 5 games in the finals.

• 2 weeks later...

The Heat better start winning soon, SS1. Shaq came out firing on all cylinders last night and they still lost. They stink.

Expect the Lakers to plummet out of that #1 spot with Bynum injured. Their last OT win over the Sonics was like a flashback to last season, horrible defense and Kobe shot the ball 44 times.

All the schedules even out in the NBA.

Every team plays home and home against the opposite conference; so many games against their division rivals, and so many games against the rest of their own conference. You still play the same number of games and the same number of games against your rivals as your rivals do.

Having said that, maybe the beginning is easier than the middle or vice versa. Or the end is easier and the beginning harder, but it all evens out in the NBA.

Someone else can give us the exact numbers for that formula. I don't have it.

Now one argument WILL OBVIOUSLY BE "but the west is stronger, etc., etc., etc." You still play everybody at least twice.

All the schedules even out in the NBA.

Every team plays home and home against the opposite conference; so many games against their division rivals, and so many games against the rest of their own conference. You still play the same number of games and the same number of games against your rivals as your rivals do.

Having said that, maybe the beginning is easier than the middle or vice versa. Or the end is easier and the beginning harder, but it all evens out in the NBA.

Someone else can give us the exact numbers for that formula. I don't have it.

Now one argument WILL OBVIOUSLY BE "but the west is stronger, etc., etc., etc." You still play everybody at least twice.

I think Jim's point was that so far the Celtics schedule has not been too tough. Like you say, it will even out eventually. At that point, the verdict will be in. I haven't studied the Celtic schedule so far, so I don't have an opinion. Cavaliers split two games against Boston, as did Pistons.

Cleveland had a very tough schedule to start the season, and are now enjoying a few soft parts of their schedule (though they do have Phx, Por, Was, LAL coming up). They are not as good as Detroit or Boston right now, and probably won't be this season, but they are starting to play pretty well, admittedly against not the stiffest of competition (besides tonight at Spurs).

Well I think we have to be careful about what we say that pertains only to our own egos and our own teams progress. We tend to make excuses, when our advasaries have a better record, and our own teams are not doing well. The whole gist of the NBA has been that the elite teams always beat the lowly teams which is what Boston is doing. So what is the problem.

The premise is that you beat the low teams all the time and either split or win 2/3 of the games with the elite teams and you will possibly win the championship. So what is all the talk about soft schedules. If you win all your home and home games with the low teams, that accounts for approximately 40 to 42 wins right there. All the elite teams try to do this.

Representatives of all the past champions tell us the same thing, even Magic and Bird. Of course my statement could end the thread (smile). But the banter is good anyway.

What I am saying is that the Pistons are 29-10 right now and about to play their 40th game of the season tonight. The Celtics are 31-6 and are about to play their 38th game. So they have played less games. If you look at their schedule, they have played less back-to-back games (Pistons have played 8 sets of back to backs and have another starting tonight. The Celtics have only played 7 and their next back-to-back isn't until February). They have also played less on the road (20 home games and 17 road games vs. the Pistons 17 home games and 22 road games).

They have yet to play the Spurs, Dallas, or Phoenix. What I am saying is all this talk about 70 wins is premature. The Celtics have not been tested at all. Besides the fact that the regular season record means nothing when it comes to winning a championship (just ask Detroit or Phoenix or Dallas), my prediction is that Garnett, Allen, and Pierce will be worn out by the end of the season and will not make it far into the playoffs.

If last night's pathetic effort against the Phoenix Suns is any indication, eight weeks sans Bynum will leave the Lakers fighting for the #8 seed. The void left by the budding superstar center has managed to actually make Kwame Brown look worse than ever, an amazing accomplishment. I hope they begin starting Ronny Turiaf, and I'm hoping for the return of Chris Mihm from injury. I heard a rumor the Lakers might sign Chris Webber, and I was actually hoping that would happen. It's better than watching the Kwame turnover show.

What I am saying is that the Pistons are 29-10 right now and about to play their 40th game of the season tonight. The Celtics are 31-6 and are about to play their 38th game. So they have played less games. If you look at their schedule, they have played less back-to-back games (Pistons have played 8 sets of back to backs and have another starting tonight. The Celtics have only played 7 and their next back-to-back isn't until February). They have also played less on the road (20 home games and 17 road games vs. the Pistons 17 home games and 22 road games).

They have yet to play the Spurs, Dallas, or Phoenix. What I am saying is all this talk about 70 wins is premature. The Celtics have not been tested at all. Besides the fact that the regular season record means nothing when it comes to winning a championship (just ask Detroit or Phoenix or Dallas), my prediction is that Garnett, Allen, and Pierce will be worn out by the end of the season and will not make it far into the playoffs.

I have to agree with a couple things you said here. But first, 8 vs 7 back to back games means nothing. The 70 wins item I did not know was such an item on the thread (Remember, I missed a lot with my surgery) and I agree that it is way too early to talk about that. I also agree that by the end of the season (especially without adequate substitutions) that the Three Amigos will be worn out. Sometimes I think Pierce is already tired.

If last night's pathetic effort against the Phoenix Suns is any indication, eight weeks sans Bynum will leave the Lakers fighting for the #8 seed. The void left by the budding superstar center has managed to actually make Kwame Brown look worse than ever, an amazing accomplishment. I hope they begin starting Ronny Turiaf, and I'm hoping for the return of Chris Mihm from injury. I heard a rumor the Lakers might sign Chris Webber, and I was actually hoping that would happen. It's better than watching the Kwame turnover show.

Kwame Brown has never been good but as for Chris Webber, he is through. Everyone thought he was a great addition to the Pistons and a championship was a lock but it didn't happen. Chris has no legs and if you give anyone the opportunity to pass a lot, they will learn so you may as well have someone younger who can hustle a lot more. Chris will slow the offense down so much that Duncan will give up his nickname of Turlehead and give it to Webber just for being so slow. The Lakers are moving in a direction of speed and Webber just does not fit. AND he still is afraid (or doesn't know how (I have heard that)) to take all his muscle into the middle and mix it up.

Agreed,

but Kwame is not the answer. Phil has to change his philosophy because rookies are better and better and stronger each year. (yes, they are still stupid). That is the one flaw in his philosophy, (does not want to play rookies, or sophmores for that matter). Phil needs to find playing time for Crittendon and more time for Ariza, especially Ariza; Mims will be back pretty soon I guess. Kwame will just have to do what he can do (and the Lakers play around that) because he will never be able to do what Phil wants him to do. Another way to relieve that pressure off Kwame is to give Walton a complete green light to shoot.

Oh hell, I'm back! and trying to tell you guys how to have a Laker contender. I must be nuts, I'm a Piston man.

Edited by BruceW