Organ-Flute Combinations

"Funk Underneath" -- Jack McDuff and Roland Kirk from Kirk's Work -- in a soulful context

"Chitlins con Carne" -- John Patton and Harold Alexander from Understanding

"B&J (Two Sisters)" -- John Patton and Harold Alexander from Boogaloo

"Falaq" -- James Spaulding and Larry Young from Of Love and Peace -- a beautiful and Zen-like moment of grace amidst an otherwise tumultuous track, surprised it hasn't been sampled by someone like DJ Krush

Just for the record, I love the combination of the organ's "heaviness" with the delicate sounds of the flute, a tricky juxtaposition that I wish were explored on more organ records.

c570274rbe4.jpgc5736768psk.jpg

c5597800tep.jpgc56371sl586.jpg

Don't forget about the mighty Jerome Richardson, who helped popularize the flute with tenor combo. One of my favorite players, incredibly underrated. He also spars some inventive duals on tenor with Lockjaw scattered throughout these records.

Neither your typical organ nor a typical flute record: Harold McNair's "The Fence". There is organ and piano in the rhythm section, and he plays flute on some tracks - the sound combination obviously left some imprint in my memory.

Edited by mikeweil

Neither your typical organ nor a typical flute record: Harold McNair's "The Fence". There is organ and paino in the rhythm section, and he plays flute on some tracks - the sound combination obviously left some imprint in my memory.

Harold McNair played on several Donovan records in the 60s. It seems worth mentioning that Donovan was the first musician I was ever heavily, obsessively into -- around the time I was in 8th grade -- and I still consider him very underrated to this day. Most people associate him with "Sunshine Superman" and "Mellow Yellow" without realizing that those songs represent only a small part of his sound: On his best albums (e.g. Hurdy Gurdy Man) he mixed Celtic folk with world sounds and an experimental edge, for something that really holds up surprisingly well. Anyway, I know I connected with some of McNair's contributions at the time, and now that I think about it, my interest in this organ-flute sound combination actually dates back to Donovan (and the Incredible String Band)!

I would love to hear The Fence, thanks for the rec.

Edited by freeform83

It seems worth mentioning that Donovan was the first musician I was ever heavily, obsessively into -- around the time I was in 8th grade -- and I still consider him very underrated to this day.

That 'splains a bunch. :ph34r:

I dig Lonnie's version of "Sunshine Superman" on Move your Hand.

Me too.

I also dig Donovan.

And Ira Sullivan.

So there ya go...

I dig Ed Sullivan. Did Donovan ever do his show?

Did I violate some unwritten rule by writing about Donovan?

Back to the original subject:

"My Funny Valentine" -- Jack McDuff and Yusef Lateef on Grant Green's Grantstand -- on the more soulful side of things

"Air" -- Herbie Hancock and James Spaulding on Bobby Hutcherson's Components -- on the avant-garde side, and Herbie is using the organ more for coloration than anything else

"The Call of the Wild" -- David Newman and Lonnie Smith on Think! -- again, this really only applies to the atmospheric opening and closing sections, but I really like this track and it reminds me of later sample-based tracks for some reason

It appears to be on the Prestige album Consciousness! which isn't on CD (at least as far as I can tell).

Au contraire, mi amigo!

d016891wnw1.jpg

This one combines To Hear Is to See with Consciousness. Both have the Corea/Holland/DeJohnette rhythm section, thus the title of the compulation.

• 1 month later...