Coltrane - Live at Newport '63-65 with unreleased cut

DMP

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So let's see...$10 for a new remix of drop dead great material with an unreleased track to boot

Not quite unreleased -- but previous versions were edited. Now that you've listened to it, what was taken out on previous issued versions? Is it just bass and drum solos, or part of Coltrane and McCoy's solos?

Guy

And also...the 1961 Newport performance was not recorded, so it would be a bit difficult to have included it, but sure, I guess Verve should have tried. And the '66 performance was not recorded by Impulse, if there are tapes of it, they are with the Coltrane family or elsewhere. And that performance is at least an hour long - would have been tough to include on this disc, but I know...$10 is a lot for some people to pay for such limited material...right? Complain on.

No need to take such a nasty tone.

The '61 Newport performance was in fact recorded, supposedly with excellent sound:

setlist: My Favorite Things/Naima/Impressions (announced as "So What")

personnel: John Coltrane, McCoy Tyner, Reggie Workman, Art Davis, and Elvin Jones

Edited by Guy

So let's see...$10 for a new remix of drop dead great material with an unreleased track to boot

Not quite unreleased -- but previous versions were edited. Now that you've listened to it, what was taken out on previous issued versions? Is it just bass and drum solos, or part of Coltrane and McCoy's solos?

Guy

There is a comment in the liner notes that the bass solo was for the most part so badly distorted on the tapes that it's not usable, so most of it is edited out. according to the notes, that's all that's missing, purely because it couldn't be rescued.

But like I said - get it for the sound. Just drop dead huge improvement. On the '63 stuff Roy Haynes drums now sound like real drums instead of the tin cans in previous versions - and he's just dropping bombs all the way through.

Edited by robert h.

Guy

There is a comment in the liner notes that the bass solo was for the most part so badly distorted on the tapes that it's not usable, so most of it is edited out. according to the notes, that's all that's missing, purely because it couldn't be rescued.

So the bass solo isn't in the newly released version either?

What's the substantive difference between the two versions? The old one is 15:52, the new one is 23:30.

edit: Apparently "I Want to Talk About You" is over a minute longer on the new release as well. Is this just crowd noise?

Guy

Edited by Guy

Picked this up this morning... $10, good notes, very good sound, and the extra material... So, while I have most of this on previous issues, this is a nice package and a good buy. When it's out-of print in a couple of years, you'll wish you had it.

And also...the 1961 Newport performance was not recorded, so it would be a bit difficult to have included it, but sure, I guess Verve should have tried. And the '66 performance was not recorded by Impulse, if there are tapes of it, they are with the Coltrane family or elsewhere. And that performance is at least an hour long - would have been tough to include on this disc, but I know...$10 is a lot for some people to pay for such limited material...right? Complain on.

The '61 Newport performance was in fact recorded, supposedly with excellent sound:

personnel: John Coltrane, McCoy Tyner, Reggie Workman, Art Davis, and Elvin Jones

According to David Wild and Ashley Kahn, the 1961 Newport performance was NOT recorded by Impulse, to whom Coltrane was under contract to at the time, so as I said earlier, it is NOT reasonable to expect Impulse to be able to issue it.

And one must wonder why, if good sources do exist, it hasn't been released officially yet. Since we know Coltrane's record company didn't record it, any recording must be privately held.

The 1966 performance was likewise not recorded by Impulse.

Guy

What's the substantive difference between the two versions? The old one is 15:52, the new one is 23:30.

edit: Apparently "I Want to Talk About You" is over a minute longer on the new release as well. Is this just crowd noise?

Guy

There is an intro by Coltrane previously edited out as well as Tyner's solo.

At the beginning there is an intro of the band causing the first track to be longer now.

At the beginning there is an intro of the band causing the first track to be longer now.

Instrumental intro, or a verbal introduction of the tune/band?

Thanks for the info, Robert.

Guy

Instrumental intro, or a verbal introduction of the tune/band?

Thanks for the info, Robert.

Guy

On Impressions - soprano intro.

Om I Want To Talk About You - Connors verbal intro, first asking the crowd to cool off and then introducing the Coltrane band members.

According to David Wild and Ashley Kahn, the 1961 Newport performance was NOT recorded by Impulse, to whom Coltrane was under contract to at the time, so as I said earlier, it is NOT reasonable to expect Impulse to be able to issue it.

OK, I'll take that as an implicit concession that the 1961 was in fact recorded. :)

Verve has released Coltrane material not recorded by Impulse several times in the past few years, so I guess this comes down to a definition of "reasonable expectations".

And one must wonder why, if good sources do exist, it hasn't been released officially yet. Since we know Coltrane's record company didn't record it, any recording must be privately held.

Not sure what you mean by "privately held" -- wasn't it seeded on one of the torrent sites a while back? There are definitely multiple copies circulating.

Guy

From Wild's web page. http://home.att.net/~dawild/jcdisc61.htm#610701

610701 JOHN COLTRANE QUINTET::

Personnel: Coltrane, ss, ts; McCoy Tyner, p; Art Davis, Reggie Workman, b; Elvin Jones, dr.

Date: 7/1/61

Engineer:

a. "Impressions" J. Coltrane 6:06

Private tape; MJ(I)2MJP1051

b. "Naima" J. Coltrane 4:05

Private tape

c. "My Favorite Things" R. Rodgers - O. Hammerstein 16:27

Private recording; MJ(I) 2MJP1051

NOTE: Information about the release of this recording on MJ is per Fujioka

OK, I'll take that as an implicit concession that the 1961 was in fact recorded. :)

Verve has released Coltrane material not recorded by Impulse several times in the past few years, so I guess this comes down to a definition of "reasonable expectations".

Not sure what you mean by "privately held" -- wasn't it seeded on one of the torrent sites a while back? There are definitely multiple copies circulating.

Guy

The stuff Verve has been releasing comes primarily from the family tape stash, which they (Ravi) seem to be letting come out at a rather glacial pace. Some of that stuff, in fact, is Impulse property anyways, that they have been essentially negotiating to get back - tapes Thiele removed, duplicates Impulse had RVG make that Coltrane removed. Or stuff like the Olatunji concert (that IMO should have been left unreleased) that Coltrane had recorded himself.

Any '61 Newport tapes come either from radio transcription, Newport Festival's own tapes, or audience recordings.

Wild's discography lists anything with any tape - many of which are terrible audience recordings made by anyone with a portable cassette player. Where it says "private tape", if not recorded by the venue in a professional manner, it's likely an audience boot or copy made by an amateur from the radio - which most are.

Let's not worry about whether some speculative boot tape exists or not. There's LOADS of official, Impulse material STILL unreleased, largely late period, which Verve unfortunately considers low potential stuff. That's the stuff that most needs to see the light of day.

Want to help make that happen? But the new Newport disc. That'll let Verve know there's still a viable market for quality Coltrane material. As well as rewarding them for a hell of a good job on this one.

The stuff Verve has been releasing comes primarily from the family tape stash, which they (Ravi) seem to be letting come out at a rather glacial pace. Some of that stuff, in fact, is Impulse property anyways, that they have been essentially negotiating to get back - tapes Thiele removed, duplicates Impulse had RVG make that Coltrane removed.

What about the '65 Juan Les Pins performance?

Or stuff like the Olatunji concert (that IMO should have been left unreleased)

You're kidding?

Guy

Edited by Guy

Lord knows we've been back and forth on the merits of Olatunj, but I'm not sure that either the Coltrane legacy or the world are worse off for its release... if we're going to "plunder" the Coltrane archives, I'd rather they hew toward the Olatunji stratosphere.

Edited by ep1str0phy

Guy

I just A/Bed the versions of Impressions. There is about a one minute intro (maybe a little less) by Trane that has been restored, followed by an approximately five and a half minute solo by Tyner, followed by about 30 seconds of the lost bass solo (which really does sound awful - I'm sure his playing is fine but you can see why they did not include the entire solo - it's nice that they included this little snippet just to satisfy mycuriosity, though). I think the distortion on Garrison's bass may be why they left the piano solo out to start with; it is fairly prominent in that section, too. However, there is no way I can think of that they could have restored Trane's intro without reintroducing the piano solo - it just wouldn't have worked.

Trane does sound much better on this remaster. Elvin Jones is a little higher in the mix. Garrison is much higher in the mix, which is somewhat debateable choice given the sound problem. Oddly, I actually prefer the way Tyner sounded on the old master.

I haven't listened to the rest of the disc.

Edit: I was way off on the duration of that Trane intro. It is about 20 seconds.

Edited by J Larsen

The stuff Verve has been releasing comes primarily from the family tape stash, which they (Ravi) seem to be letting come out at a rather glacial pace. Some of that stuff, in fact, is Impulse property anyways, that they have been essentially negotiating to get back - tapes Thiele removed, duplicates Impulse had RVG make that Coltrane removed.

What about the '65 Juan Les Pins performance?

You're kidding?

Guy

The '65 Juan Les Pins performance was professionally recorded, unlike a lot of other stuff in Wild's discography. Good move on Verve's part to license it. Let's face it, though - A Love Supreme is Coltrane's prime asset, so the cost to Verve makes it worthwhile.

The Olatunji stuff is SO badly recorded it is virtually unlistenable. Too bad, it's smoking hot stuff, but really - how many times will anyone listen to it? And let me ask you this - would Coltrane have authorized the release of something that badly recorded? What came out can only tarnish the legendary status of the performance and makes it much tougher for Verve to flog the genuinely great stuff still unreleased.

Not every shred of tape need to be stuck on a disc!! And some stuff is best left in the vault.

Guy

I just A/Bed the versions of Impressions. There is about a one minute intro (maybe a little less) by Trane that has been restored, followed by an approximately five and a half minute solo by Tyner, followed by about 30 seconds of the lost bass solo (which really does sound awful - I'm sure his playing is fine but you can see why they did not include the entire solo - it's nice that they included this little snippet just to satisfy mycuriosity, though). I think the distortion on Garrison's bass may be why they left the piano solo out to start with; it is fairly prominent in that section, too. However, there is no way I can think of that they could have restored Trane's intro without reintroducing the piano solo - it just wouldn't have worked.

Trane does sound much better on this remaster. Elvin Jones is a little higher in the mix. Garrison is much higher in the mix, which is somewhat debateable choice given the sound problem. Oddly, I actually prefer the way Tyner sounded on the old master.

I haven't listened to the rest of the disc.

Edit: I was way off on the duration of that Trane intro. It is about 20 seconds.

Problem with your analysis is - It's Roy Haynes playing on Impressions, not Elvin Jones. Pretty easy to get that after hearing it for a minute or so.

You're kidding?

The Olatunji stuff is SO badly recorded it is virtually unlistenable. Too bad, it's smoking hot stuff, but really - how many times will anyone listen to it?

Well, personally, I've listened to it a bunch of times. I know I'm not the only one.

And let me ask you this - would Coltrane have authorized the release of something that badly recorded? What came out can only tarnish the legendary status of the performance and makes it much tougher for Verve to flog the genuinely great stuff still unreleased.

And yet six years after the release of the Olatunji concert, Verve continues to reissue Coltrane material unimpeded.

Guy

You're kidding?

The Olatunji stuff is SO badly recorded it is virtually unlistenable. Too bad, it's smoking hot stuff, but really - how many times will anyone listen to it?

Well, personally, I've listened to it a bunch of times. I know I'm not the only one.

And let me ask you this - would Coltrane have authorized the release of something that badly recorded? What came out can only tarnish the legendary status of the performance and makes it much tougher for Verve to flog the genuinely great stuff still unreleased.

And yet six years after the release of the Olatunji concert, Verve continues to reissue Coltrane material unimpeded.

Guy

If they can get the complete '63 Birdland material and make it sound as good as the new Newport stuff, I won't be impeding them.

Anytime they want to do remixes of any Coltrane titles I would be thrilled. How about an RVG remaster of Crescent?

And if they can do the unissued 1966 and 1967 stuff which is potentially explosive stuff I would be all over it.

You're kidding?

Guy

In about an hour I'm stepping in the car. I'm going to play Olatunji and hope for the best... :o